Anyone Currently Use One Of These Electric Hookah Units?

Redneck

https://www.diveblu3.com/product/nemo/,

There is also a unit sold by Air Buddy.

25 years ago I built my own hookah unit , using a 5hp gas motor,  Thomas diaphragm compressor,  wash tub, and all set in a big innertube. 

The dive blu3 unit only weighs 10 lbs. which is doable for me, as I approach retirement. Would love to dunk the Simplex in the shallows,

looking for fresh drops.   Our lakes here are all rock bottoms.  If you have used these electrics, I'd love to hear your comments. 

While Im considering it, one of those propulsion units would be fun too!

The only difference between the men and the boys, is the price of their toys! 😁

• Like 3

I believe Calabash Digger uses a hookah system. Not sure if you need to have a diving cert to use one, read somewheres that it is required.

That one looks cool. Very tempting for the puddles around here.

• Like 1

The dive blu3 requires an online test . That unit  has a 10 ft hose, so not much concern about the bends.

The Air Buddy can be purchased with a 40 ' ft hose, and they do not require any certification. 

BUT , it would be wise to be certified to go anywhere near that deep.  A resort cert. course would be good,

but full certification would be a big plus. 

I was tank certified in my younger days.  Tank diving is out of the pic at my age. 

• Thanks 1

Very interesting as I have been wanting to do some metal detecting in the waters. I am not certified for diving but have to learn and get my certification some time.

Thanks for sharing as it was interesting.

I'm in love with this kind of item, so light, so portable in a backpack, but...

Battery consumption is still a tremendous problem, at least for me, used to stay at least three hours down in the shallows with a 15liters tank.

Smaller integrated lithium batteries with a simple waterproof switch will be the natural evolution for this equipment.

I tried to find part of the components to build it by myself and stopped realizing that the 12V compressor needed is NOT a compressor, but probably an inflator with less than 3Bar pressure, activated with a sensor.

However, an hour duration is really too bad for me, even if my back is almost done, I'm still forced to use scuba tanks to get the job done properly.

• Like 2

I have built a couple of 12v hookahs, the latest is similar to the Blue nemo, It works fine for shallow diving to 15ft, I use a small 7.2ah battery that gives me an hour, I have 2 batteries in the group 24 battery case I use to contain the unit  and change when needed, it works fine but if the Nemo had been available at the time I would have bought one. The photos show the hookah and the cooler float I use also the inflatable dry bag that holds wallet, keys, glasses etc.

63412499-A284-4136-9018-6ABA355202DF.jpeg

F528BFC8-911D-4B55-8B67-44EA7FBCB4E5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Voyager32 said:

I have built a couple of 12v hookahs, the latest is similar to the Blue nemo, It works fine for shallow diving to 15ft, I use a small 7.2ah battery that gives me an hour, I have 2 batteries in the group 24 battery case I use to contain the unit  and change when needed, it works fine but if the Nemo had been available at the time I would have bought one. The photos show the hookah and the cooler float I use also the inflatable dry bag that holds wallet, keys, glasses etc.

This is actually the setup I was thinking to build.

Have You used the acq 906 or 910 model in your system?

I also want to use a pressure switch to stop the compressor when not needed.Unluckily the provided pressure is not enough without an air reserve box inline with the filters...But this can improve the battery consumption for almost an half more time compared with a continuous running pump.

Good job there, really clean and nice to see too.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, Skullgolddiver said:

This is actually the setup I was thinking to build.

Have You used the acq 906 or 910 model in your system?

I also want to use a pressure switch to stop the compressor when not needed.Unluckily the provided pressure is not enough without an air reserve box inline with the filters...But this can improve the battery consumption for almost an half more time compared with a continuous running pump.

Good job there, really clean and nice to see too.

I used the 906, I found I didn’t need the pressure switch. I also have another hose setup that uses an ordinary snorkel with purge valve, no regulator, just an open system, very easy to breath, only downside is exhaust bubbles are a bit noisy, There is a very bright fellow in Australia that uses the same open system with a full face mask and an Equinox, he does very well with it, check his Youtube channel “Philbo Baggins” Good luck.

Note added by Steve Herschbach 11/24/20 - 

Please read. If anyone builds their own hookah system, please keep in mind you are putting air in your lungs. Oil (exogenous lipoid pneumonia) or particulate matter can lead to illness or death. All true diving compressors are carefully designed to emit no oil using sealed bearings, etc. All compressors can fail, so having an excellent filter system is also critical, even if the compressor is properly designed. You'd hate to be breathing aluminum particles because a part is prematurely wearing out.

Finally, air lines for tools may outgas dangerous fumes when carrying hot air, especially when new. Only use proper food grade air lines designed for breathing air.

Bottom line - don't go too cheap!

Just in case you are one of those people who think mineral or vegetable oil is safe.... it is not! Oil in lungs is oil in lungs - not supposed to be there!!

"However, a wide variety of other oily substances have been reported to cause the disease, including petroleum-based lubricants (e.g., Vaseline), oily nose drops, laxatives, spray lubricants, and lip gloss. 59 Risk factors that predispose to aspiration include gastroesophageal reflux disease and neurologic or psychiatric illness. In one case, exogenous lipoid pneumonia was reported in a commercial abalone diver who presumably aspirated aerosolized mineral oil contained in the unfiltered air generated from his surface air compressor."

• Thanks 1