Anyone Currently Use One Of These Electric Hookah Units?

Redneck

On 11/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Whitbey said:

I am interested in building my own hookah system for my winter project with the acq 906 or 910 can any tell me how to build one and what materials to buy or may be give drawing/plan to start my project, any help is appreciated. 

I find the 906 gives me enough air for shallow diving and adequate battery life, I imagine the 910 would work well too but would use more power.

I bought a cheap adjustable regulator on line but you have to change to a lighter spring because of the low air pressure ( 16/17psi) I had to fiddle with it quite a bit to find the right balance.

It’s very important to dismantle the pump as much as possible and clean it and smooth out some of the rough castings, you will see a lot of particles inside but it’s a simple job.

Before I built mine I searched online for any information on 12v hookahs, there’s quite a bit there, I encourage anyone who wants to build one to do the same, There are a lot of naysayers, but it works fine.

5 hours ago, Voyager32 said:

I find the 906 gives me enough air for shallow diving and adequate battery life, I imagine the 910 would work well too but would use more power.

I bought a cheap adjustable regulator on line but you have to change to a lighter spring because of the low air pressure ( 16/17psi) I had to fiddle with it quite a bit to find the right balance.

It’s very important to dismantle the pump as much as possible and clean it and smooth out some of the rough castings, you will see a lot of particles inside but it’s a simple job.

Before I built mine I searched online for any information on 12v hookahs, there’s quite a bit there, I encourage anyone who wants to build one to do the same, There are a lot of naysayers, but it works fine.

Thanks very much for the helpful information!

19 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

If I'm correct 160W.

There's a series of "Boyu" or other brands models from 902 to 910 starting at 60W.

But most important thing is the minimum 0.12Mpa pressure and at least 100liters of air provided per minute.

Considering the "normal" air consumption of 30 liters per minute when scuba diving in less than 10 meters in depth, should be enough for the purpose.These numbers are purely to be personally tested.

Pressure however still remain the main pain with this pump. Normally, most of the Brownie's systems works with almost 3Bar...But there's almost no depth limit.

19 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

If I'm correct 160W.

There's a series of "Boyu" or other brands models from 902 to 910 starting at 60W.

But most important thing is the minimum 0.12Mpa pressure and at least 100liters of air provided per minute.

Considering the "normal" air consumption of 30 liters per minute when scuba diving in less than 10 meters in depth, should be enough for the purpose.These numbers are purely to be personally tested.

Pressure however still remain the main pain with this pump. Normally, most of the Brownie's systems works with almost 3Bar...But there's almost no depth limit.

Thanks very much Skullgolddiver, checked online the ACQ 908 delivers 0.12 MPa pressure with 150 L/min. And the ACQ 910 0.12 MPa with 160 L/min. Thanks very much for your info and help!

• Like 1

I looked at the prices of store bought at around $2,500 - $4,500 .

No way 

I have a diving compressor from Keene Engineering , that I used on my dredge .

I am going to build my own with Lithium battery , shopping for the rest of the parts , motor etc. 

100 amp hr. lithium battery for about $600 , motor for less than $100 , regulator less than $100 .

The Keene compressor guessing from memory $200 + 

The biggest problem I have is info on diving off Florida coast 20' or less ?

Please read. If anyone builds their own hookah system, please keep in mind you are putting air in your lungs. Oil (exogenous lipoid pneumonia) or particulate matter can lead to illness or death. All true diving compressors are carefully designed to emit no oil using sealed bearings, etc. All compressors can fail, so having an excellent filter system is also critical, even if the compressor is properly designed. You'd hate to be breathing aluminum particles because a part is prematurely wearing out.

Finally, air lines for tools may outgas dangerous fumes when carrying hot air, especially when new. Only use proper food grade air lines designed for breathing air.

Bottom line - don't go too cheap!

Just in case you are one of those people who think mineral or vegetable oil is safe.... it is not! Oil in lungs is oil in lungs - not supposed to be there!!

"However, a wide variety of other oily substances have been reported to cause the disease, including petroleum-based lubricants (e.g., Vaseline), oily nose drops, laxatives, spray lubricants, and lip gloss. 59 Risk factors that predispose to aspiration include gastroesophageal reflux disease and neurologic or psychiatric illness. In one case, exogenous lipoid pneumonia was reported in a commercial abalone diver who presumably aspirated aerosolized mineral oil contained in the unfiltered air generated from his surface air compressor."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Steve H. is right on the money with his warnings! Homemade equipment is risky at best, and deadly at worst! Even if you are buying air for Scuba, you should make sure that the filling station in use is certified at least quarterly! I'm not a Scuba diver but i did use Positive Pressure Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for 30 years! We filled our own bottles, but the compressor was serviced and certified by an outside vender! The mineral based oil and moisture is filtered out of the air, and metered before use!

I think one of the safest and cheapest ways to go, is the raft and Scuba bottle setup, with hose an regulator! Many dive sites and shop's sell these! And a few people on this forum use these! Safety is never cheap!

As far as 20' or less on the Florida coast is concerned! Depth is only limited to your equipment!  It's ok most anywhere as long as you don't have a metal detector! A great deal of the East Coast waters of Florida are leased by various Treasure Salvagers, and strictly enforced! Possible imprisonment, fines, confiscation of vehicle and equipment are probable if convicted!👍👍

• Like 2

Good warnings Steve.  The compressors used for pumping clean air are diaphragm compressors.  You don't want to be breathing air from a piston compressor!  

The Blu3 Nemos hookah systems are on sale black Friday weekend, 20% off.

I think I'll order one. Wouldn't be able to use it for 6 months, waiting the warm weather to arrive.

But I'm Dutch, I like a good deal!

Hey Dan-NM , want to sell one of those extra batteries? 

ADD ON.... I ordered it today thru Blu3 Nemo website.  Turns out Its assembled and distributed by Brownies Third Lung.  They have been making and selling Hookahs for decades.  I was glad to see that, as they have plenty of experience! 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

They make oil less piston diving compressors for deeper diving. Teflon rings, etc.

https://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=263

712AA11C-E88D-4901-A3D6-BEE58AD17D81.jpeg

More Hookah Systems

To be fair this unit is only 8gm or 1/4 of an ounce of gold. If it is worth diving then equipment is cheap compared to your health.

I agree that knowing what your doing , so as to avoid issues .

But once you know something , you find that many / most places that are charging $2k - $10k are ripping you off , a lot of that is from fear mongering .

Life is hazardous - ban it 😉

Point being that you can [ being well informed ] build just as good of quality for much , much less .

Steve I used you link to Keene , where I got my compressor as part of my dredge , now outlawed in CA , and repurposing the compressor .

It's a cheaper single cylinder , that does not come up after using your link , probubly because the 3 times the price difference , last I checked [ within the last yr. ] about $250 .

By the way , Keene does not make either compressor .