Oak Island Season 8

Here's the way i look at Oak Island, and all the other related "reality" shows out there!

I can seperate the character's like Gary Drayton and Josh Gates, to name just a few; from what they are looking for and the places they visit!

It's very obvious that something big went on at Oak Island, for a long period of time! Treasure or not, the history, and the things constructed there are a fascinating look back into the past! Anything beyond the history; meaning a treasure, is what keeps most of the "normal"  people watching! 

And no, we are not "normal" ! Detectorists are a breed apart from the average "Joe"! (Pun intended)! Who else would go out on a beach in a storm, being battered by big waves, to find a few pieces of rusty metal, and maybe an occasional ring, or old coin or two! The same with water hunters; risking jellyfish, stingrays, and bull sharks, to find a few crusty rings and coins! Or the desert guys, stepping around rattlesnakes, and scorpions, in 100 plus heat, to find a few tiny nuggets! We are all "crazy" for history! Weather we know it, or not!  If we find some kind of treasure, all the better! But most of the time, the "real treasure" is the people, places, and experiences that are shared by "abnormal" people like us!

Anyway, didn't mean to wax poetic there! But i think you get my point! The various show's still feed our addiction, just in a different way than the everyday viewer! That's why we are especially critical of the "characters" seemingly random decisions, and actions! But what we would normally do, would probably bore the hell out of the average viewer, and never come close to fitting into an hour long format! And there lies the rub between "reality", and "entertainment" !👍👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Joe D. said:

...What we would normally do, would probably bore the hell out of the average viewer, and never come close to fitting into an hour long format! And there lies the rub between "reality", and "entertainment" !👍👍

That sums it up nicely.  We don't need 'curse' in the title.  We don't need exaggerations as the narrator does repeatedly, much to my annoyance.  We don't need pirates or Knights Templar or Francis Bacon or William Shakespeare.

Except, if we want to watch, we actually do.  Because they can't justify the small audience that would result from leaving out all the sensationalism.  So those of us gullible enough to not have figured it out after watching a couple shows, who aren't so cynical that we think it's all fiction to make oodles of $ for the 'actors', TV networks, and corporate sponsors -- we come back for more.  Sometimes it's disappointment and annoyance, but often enough there are tantalizing pieces of the puzzle to tickle our curiosity.  For some of us, anyway.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, phrunt said:

She took her gear off except her shorts and had a quick swim and I tried to focus on my detecting, then she walked up to me topless to asked to have a go of my detector as she'd always wanted to try one out, I almost died but gave her some basic instructions and she had a 10 minute play, she loved using it

Since reading this part, just what did she play with for 10 minutes?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Maybe it's different in the US where detector users are more common but here it's very rare and people who don't know what you're doing think you're some kind of weirdo.

I was detecting along a trail in a local park this week.  A grandmother (apparently) and three youngsters came by so I found a convenient place to step away from the trail to get out of their way.  (Social distancing...)  One child who looked to be about 6 years old told his younger brother as they walked by:  "that's a metal detector."

Oh, but they still probably thought I was a weirdo.  :biggrin:

Good on you Simon,

Talk about positive exposure, the closest I've been to that,  is detecting at a clothing optional beach!😊 👍👍

• Like 1

I've already binge watched Aussie Gold Hunters! I thought it was a good show! My favorites were the couple with the camper, that got there generator and stuff stolen! (bastard thieves)!  To me, they had the perfect size operation! That's the way i would do it,  if i could!👍👍

• Like 1

Simon Simon Simon you must add a disclaimer when you put that on the WEB. My wife kept both eyes on me when two Jewish backpacker did a soap rubdown nude at an open air shower when we were Bushwalking one day. (yes the wife was there.)

Back to detecting at one beach every time we were there a young local boy about 12 years would always turnup with in minutes of starting detecting. He would dig every target for me. I guess the fault was mine as I let him have all the modern coins with the exception of the golden $1 and $2 coins. By the way I think I got more value than doing it all myself (Did not waste time on junk and digging.)

As for TV gold Shows I have given a wide berth after seeing one.

• Like 2