Preserving Finds In Oil

I was wondering if it could be a good idea store corroded metal detecting finds in a container of oil?

I have old bits and pieces made of copper etc. and it probably isn't good for them in the long term to be out in the air for oxidation reasons.

What I was thinking of doing was filling a container with vegetable oil and putting them all into it for long term storage, until I can find a better place to store them, think this is a good idea or could it damage them? Maybe there is another type of preservation liquid?

There is a wax that most people put on them after they do some small cleaning.

I don't think the oil would be a good solution as it can go bad. I found some coins in an old jar and can tell you now that it smells so bad you don't want to be in the neighborhood since it has been opened.

It has taken 6 different cleanings to lower the smell to a level that one can get near them. The cleaning rags do keep the animals away the yard as they hang on the back fence.

• Haha 2

The archaeologists at the UK's Portable Antiquities Scheme specifically advise against using oils or waxes on finds. Here's a link to their guidance:
https://finds.org.uk/documents/file/PAS_ConservationAdviceForFinders2018-all.pdf

However, if you choose to coat a find in a wax, perhaps for aesthetic reasons, the safest option is Microcrystalline wax. This is sold under a variety of brands, one we have here in the UK is "Renaissance Wax" , but 'Dental modelling wax' is essentially the same product, and is cheaper and readily available. It has a pale pink colouring, but as you're using it in a very thin layer, this becomes irrelevant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Another professional product that is sometimes used is an adhesive known as Paraloid P-72.
When made as a weak solution ( 2% ) dissolved in acetone or similar solvent, it can be applied to finds. See here:
https://zoicpalaeotech.co.uk/paraloid-b-72-in-fossil-preparation/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

However, if you choose to coat a find in a wax, perhaps for aesthetic reasons,

Thank you for that information I know that I had read something about it on this forum but could not find it.

I've also heard diluted white glue can be used and it can be removed soaking in water. I've only used it 1 time. I couldn't tell I put anything on and I haven't tried removing it.

As long as you don't use whale oil! 😂 VL found out the had way oil of whale is not the best idea, but mineral oil is what i use to store my largest iron meteorite in. I was advised by some experts and i have had no problems. The oxidation problem i was having with the iron meteorite has stopped though due to no oxygen. 

• Like 2

In all the years that i have been detecting i have never ever used anything to clean or preserve any of my finds this includes many many roman,saxon and celtic gold and silver coins and many artefacts going back 1000s of years.All i ever do is use a very very soft old toothbrush under running water from the tap and dry them off.

Over the years i have seen many coins including some rare ones rendered zero value because folks have used chemicals,abrasives,tumbled them and other ways as well,coin collectors who are looking for rare valuable coins basically prefer them as you found them other wise they wont buy them if cleaned the wrong way.

The only things that i may possibly treat would be BA 'Bronze Age' items like axe heads or spears as often they can suffer from a bronze disease that can start eating away at the bronze,but although i would look at getting these items treated i would not do it myself though.

Of course what i do with my finds other folks may not do,but i prefer to be on the safe side and not damage some historical items because of lack of proper cleaning knowledge,my motto is 'if in doubt dont'.

• Like 6

Valen's Legacy's oil is an extreme example of rancid oil! I think he said it was about 150 years old! Any oil can go rancid! About the only thing i know of that does not go bad, is honey!        Archeologist's have found  honey over 2000 years old that was still edible! Now i don't know if anyone has ever tried to preserve coins in it, but who know's!! I would imagine any preservatives would have to be PH neutral, and exclude oxygen!     

Sounds like some fun experiments could be done with some non-valuable dug or damaged coins! And some small mason jars! Just like canning food!👍👍

• Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, RickUK said:

In all the years that i have been detecting i have never ever used anything to clean or preserve any of my finds this includes many many roman,saxon and celtic gold and silver coins and many artefacts going back 1000s of years.All i ever do is use a very very soft old toothbrush under running water from the tap and dry them off.

Over the years i have seen many coins including some rare ones rendered zero value because folks have used chemicals,abrasives,tumbled them and other ways as well,coin collectors who are looking for rare valuable coins basically prefer them as you found them other wise they wont buy them if cleaned the wrong way.

The only things that i may possibly treat would be BA 'Bronze Age' items like axe heads or spears as often they can suffer from a bronze disease that can start eating away at the bronze,but although i would look at getting these items treated i would not do it myself though.

Of course what i do with my finds other folks may not do,but i prefer to be on the safe side and not damage some historical items because of lack of proper cleaning knowledge,my motto is 'if in doubt dont'.

Celtic gold whats your postcode again Rick???

RR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2