• Joe D. changed the title to A Few Good Treasure Coast Erosion Days! п

Up here they use big granite blocks and those drift and wash away too. As much as I like beach detecting it gets discouraging when you see all that wash. Not for nothing but if your pretty much digging all why not get a PI for the beach. One the guys is selling a new TDI BH for $900. Really hard to beat them in the salt I think.

Will have to check out those books.

• Like 1
  • Joe D. changed the title to A Few Good Treasure Coast Erosion Days!

Simon,

I was using a used Nox 800 i recently bought, in a "box of parts" for $315! It was a barebones unit with no headphones, wireless unit, or lower shaft! This was it's maiden hunt!

The huge sandbags actually work very well! And yes, they are full of sand! I wish they would use them all over, instead of constantly pumping useless amounts of expensive sand on the beaches! Only to be washed away every year!

Kac,

I would love a PI! Are you offering to send me one??😁 Maybe when my other machines are paid off, i will get one, but i have spent my limit for awhile! I am interested in future AQ development, but we will see what comes out in the next year or two! 👍👍

• Like 1

I would think the finds would be around the bags in the depressions, just a thought.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2

Nice pictures. I see different colored bags. Do the blue ones show more of an erosion effect took place or is it just different colors. Are they pretty much all along the treasure coast or just in certain areas. Thanks! Bob K

• Like 1

Gary,

That's where all the item's i detected where found this time! I figure that they act like riffles for gold! But things also get blasted out of these areas, back up near the cliff, or washed out to the water!

Okara,

There are two different colors that i have seen! The blue one's run about a half mile, and are only here, as far as i know! The white one's I've only seen in front of one house! 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

...There were musket ball's and spent bullets!

Can those be tied to a particular time period/skirmish/etc.?  What's the silver-looking coin-like object under the two pennies in the photo?

GB,

For the most part, the musketballs are generally thought to have been in small barrels from the 1715 Fleet! And are generally found in groups! There is some conjecture on the spent bullets, but they appear to be from between the 40's and 60's! From people just target shooting into the bank! There was also alot of WW2 training going on not too far South of here with live ammunition, including 50 cal. and bombs!

That coin was a 65' quarter! Underneath which may be a smashed musketball, or spru piece! And the other one is one of those  possible WW2 spent bullets!👍👍

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By bklein
      I am not liking my EQ600 with 15” coil and am wondering if it’s just my brain is too attached to my CTX, or if something is wrong with the coil or detector. I am noticing that the coil cable is being sensed if moved when I’m detecting so I did this little video test that uses my car as a ferrous background/target. If I move the cable with it in the background it senses the movement. But if I do it in air, no detection of the cable.  I’ve never seen this discussed or tried before so don’t know what to think about it.

• By longbow62
      I posted this on another forum other than Detector Prospector also. I feel Detector Prospector tends to be a bit more technical oriented than the other forum so I posted it here also.
      I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15 or below. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact. I don't have the problem everywhere so I know it's not a detector problem. Running a smaller coil helps some, but not a lot.
      So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?
      Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.
      How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?  
    • By mn90403
      Reports of the Mineralogist for the state of California.  It seems fake news has been around for a long time.

https://books.google.com/books?output=text&id=13POAAAAMAAJ&q=217#v=onepage&q&f=false 
    • By mn90403
      The other day I was detecting on of the many beaches in Santa Monica Bay.  Just like all other beaches of the world there are some unique features about it that we all learn.  I was thinking about how much sand has been added since a swell event I detected about 6 months ago.  I can see where that cut was and I see where the new beach line is and it is 25-30 feet in many places.  Our wave pattern with the La Nina has sanded things in.  We have earthquakes which raise our plate.  How about your beaches from the old days?
      Before I started metal detecting I was a surfer.  Many natural breaks have been there for years.  I'm sure some are gone.  Has 'climate change' changed your surfing spots?  I know some beaches in Florida have had sand added for replenishment.  I just read articles about North Carolina and salt intrusion killing coastal forests.  They showed before and after photos.
      Do you have any old detecting photos that would show your beaches 20, 30 or 40 years ago?
    • By aerospace guy
      After following EQ's progression I decided to buy the 800 hoping for a "simpler" detector than the GPX5000 which I sold. Part of that decision was based on one of Gerry's posts along the lines of "I've found more with a sub $1000 machine than all the more expensive ones ". My 1st time out proved to substantiate the claims made that the EQ will find small gold and larger as I found what I classify when dry washing as a -20 and found a 4.29 gram nugget! This while not fully understanding how to operate the detector! Using the "quick start' and owners full manual I was able to succeed. I hope there are some comprehensive videos out now that I can access?
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, I decided to try another beach to see if the conditions were the same to find silver. I spent about 2 hours there before I could not stand it anymore.  For such an affluent town, the have the dirtiest beach I have ever detected on. The amount of junk targets and iron were overwhelming. I could not swing without hitting multiple targets. I got a bit of clad, and an 8-gauge shotgun shell casing, so I flew out of there.  🙄 The drive back to my favorite beach was now the goal to save the day. I wandered around for a bit with no luck, so back to the same area where I did good before. I expanded out a bit and the silvers turned to clad. Lots of dimes as expected, as they are hardest to find deep. Found a decent amount of silver. I did not take pictures of the trash, but here are all the good finds from that beach. My beach days are numbered, as the crowds are already starting to show up well in advance of Memorial Day opening. I may try another new beach next week for a bit and see what happens. Weather was beautiful…. The people ?  -  a bit strange. 😵