Deep Hole Stronger Signal?

Tday

Hi

ive recently brought a equinox800 and upon detecting in the grounds of an old house that has been built on an old mot and bailey. The hose I’m told is at least 1300

ive hit a signal of 15-19 on the screen, approximately 15ft from where the existing brook used to flow. (It still flows it just moved over the years) ive dug down to at least 18 inches into the river bed (the pebbles make this apparent) and the signal has grown to 32+ but I’m yet to find the source!

the signal is strong but I’m doubtful the detector is reading true?!

the deeper I go the stronger the reading, I’ve detected the soil I’ve recovered nothing!

move filled the hole in and shall return with maybe a better tool?

any ideas or experiences?

• Like 1

More information would be helpful, such as:

1) What Equinox mode and what frequency?  What sensitivity/gain setting?

2) Did you ground balance (i.e. automatic or ground grab or manual)?

3) Which coil were you using?

4) Was your hole large enough to get the coil into?  Wide enough to sweep the coil?

5) Did you use the detector's pinpoint function to estimate the lateral size of the object?

6) When the coil was still on/at the surface level, how many bars showed on the strength/depth meter?

7) Were you using a handheld pinpointer, and if so, did it ever sound-off on the target (i.e. after digging to the max depth)?

• Like 3

If that was me using the Nox in a situation like that then i would not give up till i had it out of the ground or at least i could see what it was,the UK his as we are all aware of goes way back and what the target is/could be anything.

As you are digging deeper and the signal is getting stronger that surely must indicate to you that something is getting nearer,forget the TID its the audio you need to rely on and never ever walk away from a decent audio target.

As this location is on the site of a possible Motte and Bailey site a couple of things may need to be looked into sis/was the site scheduled ?? if not of course you can carry on digging but if it is then one need to take that into account that you may need to stop digging,that is of course upto you.Regarding what the target is/could be while its still in the ground it could be anything hence the reason for carrying on digging to find out what you have located.

Stream/Rivers and river crossings have always been places that could provide some decent finds,this could be because of say votive offering,items that have been stolen but items like weapons disposed of in water and artefacts from war itself.

Never give up on such a target,well i certainly would not give up especially when the signal increases the deeper/nearer the target you are getting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RickUK said:

Never give up on such a target,well i certainly would not give up especially when the signal increases the deeper/nearer the target you are getting.

Couldn't agree more, given the age and particulars of the site!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd continue digging, even if I had to bring in a backhoe! 

• Like 1

I've dug down two or three feet on some targets. The thought of walking away from large cache of coins can drive you crazy. So far, it has always turned out to be a big piece of iron or aluminum. 

• Like 1