Simplex Got Two New Coils 9.5x5 And 8.5 Need Opinion

I was thinking about getting another coil for my Simplex and I was just wondering if any of you have tried either one?

Kellyco has both for a little over a hundred but show a coil cover for them is 12 dollars . The only thing it said about the coils that they were DD coils.

I’m more into coin hunting with this detector so I’m thinking 8.5 but like to hear from anyone that has one are the other.

Heck post your opinion even if you don’t have any.

Chuck 

I looked but didn't see any concentrics for that machine. I prefer a small concentric in parks especially when there are lots of bottle caps, they usually ring in below nickels so makes it easy to disc them out.

I have the 7x11 on my MK and it does well in parks for a dd, very good target separation. Sven did some comparisons on them and posted on the forum somewheres.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I was thinking about getting another coil for my Simplex and I was just wondering if any of you have tried either one?

Kellyco has both for a little over a hundred but show a coil cover for them is 12 dollars . The only thing it said about the coils that they were DD coils.

Chuck 

Chuck, Yes, I tried both the 8.5 round DD and the 5X9½ DD.  I didn't like the rod-mount pint on the 8.5" round coil or the nose-heavy feel.  I personally preferred the elliptical coil and keep the 5X9½ DD mounted on my primary-use Simplex +.  My 1st Simplex + wears the standard 11" DD round coil for open areas, and just hoping Nokta / Makro or an after-market coil maker will bring out something close to a round 5" coil.  Until then, the 5X9½ DD is working quite well for me.

As for some Dealer that always frustrate me, here a good reason.  Look at the Nokta / Makro Accessory Coil list for the Simplex + and note the blue bold I did to their list: 

Waterproof DD Search Coil - 24x13 cm / 9.5"x5" (SP24)

Features

Part Number : 17000168
Description : Waterproof DD Search Coil
Size : 24x13 cm / 9.5"x5"

Including coil cover and coil mounting hardware.

Too often I have seen this done by a few Dealers, especially KellyCo.  Remove a coil cover and/or mounting hardware and sell them separately.  The manufacturer sells the coil, with coil cover and mounting hardware and that's what you should be getting w/o an extra charge.

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I’m more into coin hunting with this detector so I’m thinking 8.5 but like to hear from anyone that has one are the other.

Heck post your opinion even if you don’t have any.

Chuck 

I know a couple of people who bought the 8.5" DD, felt it worked OK, but parted with it and went to the 5X9½ because of the improved balance and feel, as well as performance in a lot of the modern Coin & Jewelry Hunting sites with mode-than-desired modern trash.  Simplex + w/5X9½ DD is one of my Daily-Use Team that rides in my vehicle full-time.  Works well, and as a bonus it is 'fun' to use.

Monte

• Thanks 1