Is Anyone Using An Rnb Lithium Battery For The Vanquish?

I notice that RNB now has a lithium battery pack for the Vanquish priced around $60.

I have been using RNB battery packs in my Etrac for years and probably will buy one of these Vanquish batteries, if there are no bugs needing to be worked out.  I intend to keep the Vanquish in my car trunk and will only use it sporadically.  Regular rechargeables don't seem to hold a charge if they are not used for a long time.  In contrast, the RNB batteries seem to hold a charge indefinitely.  I want to be confident that the detector is going to work even if it has been sitting unused in the car trunk for months.

1 hour ago, Bayard said:

I notice that RNB now has a lithium battery pack for the Vanquish priced around $60.

I have been using RNB battery packs in my Etrac for years and probably will buy one of these Vanquish batteries, if there are no bugs needing to be worked out.  I intend to keep the Vanquish in my car trunk and will only use it sporadically.  Regular rechargeables don't seem to hold a charge if they are not used for a long time.  In contrast, the RNB batteries seem to hold a charge indefinitely.  I want to be confident that the detector is going to work even if it has been sitting unused in the car trunk for months.

Hi , could you post a pic of this RNB battery thanks ... Is this battery rechargeable ? For info I often use lithium AA non rechargeable batteries for my Vanquish , they work very well 15hours autonomy but unfortunately not rechargeable ... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, palzynski said:

Hi , could you post a pic of this RNB battery thanks ... Is this battery rechargeable ? For info I often use lithium AA non rechargeable batteries for my Vanquish , they work very well 15hours autonomy but unfortunately not rechargeable ... 

The RNB battery replaces the battery cover on the Vanquish, and it is rechargeable.  There are a couple of Youtube videos on the battery, and it appears to be widely available for sale with U.S. dealers.  The manufacturer is RNB Innovations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is the RNB pack:
https://www.crawfordsmd.com/rnb-vanquish-powerpack
and:
http://www.paulcee.co.uk/blog/?new-minelab-vanquish-battery

I think there's little need for this, myself, as the benefit of 4 x AA cells is that they give you the option of which cell type to use ( primary, rechargeable, a variety of different types ), and they are easily replaced with a fresh set when needed.
Mr. Bayard would be OK with a set of low-self-discharge NiMH's from an established brand, with a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells kept as a backup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Mr. Bayard would be OK with a set of low-self-discharge NiMH's from an established brand, with a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells kept as a backup.

I'm looking to be bullet proof, not just OK.  I'd rather spend $60 and never have to worry about batteries again.  I use an RNB battery pack in my Etrac and keep a fully charged RNB pack in the trunk (boot) of my car as a spare.  I would never go back to conventional batteries for the Etrac again.  The convenience of lithium is just too great, total reliability and more hunting time between charges.

That spare RNB pack might only get used once or twice a year; but, it never fails to hold a full charge even with months between uses.  It's in my car trunk during freezing winters and hot summers yet it still never fails. 

The Vanquish is going to stay in my car all the time too.  I'll only be using it on the rare occasion that I see a promising site and don't happen to have my Etrac or Equinox in the car.  Unless somebody has experienced a problem with the RNB pack for the Vanquish, I intend to buy one soon.

• Like 1

I just had a look on this RNB pack on internet and I watched one or 2 related videos ...

Very nice product which increases the Vanquish power from 12Wh ( 4nimh AA 1.2V 2500mAh ) to 36Wh ( rnb pack 6V 6000mAh ).  Which means 33hours duration with the rnb instead of 11hours with the 4nimh , quite good ... The rnb pack is just a little heavier than the 4 nimh batteries ( rnb pack 150grams , 4 nimh + cover 120grams ).

I hope that rnb will propose an other option with a  smaller capacity Vanquish rnb pack like 3000mAh ( 16hours autonomy ). It would be lighter while still providing a good autonomy. 

I would not be surprised if ML propose such a product for the Vanquish in the future , because integrated li/ion batteries are much more reliable and lighter than multiple AA batteries

• Like 3

I have an RnB battery on my AT Pro and it works really well. Run time is almost double of standard alkalines. One thing is the battery life indicator on your machine may not be that accurate. If you see it about 1/2 way then recharge it. I find it runs full power for most of its charge then drops radically to nothing.

I have not used an RNB pack in a Vanquish yet. I have used RNB rechargeable battery packs in other detectors and found them to be good to excellent as far as being well balanced and for being dependable for the amount of running time advertised for each detector they are custom made for.

As far as other rechargeables, I do not have the supplied Minelab rechargeables. I have been using Tenergy 2500 mAh Ni-MH rechargeables and they have lasted no more than 6 hours which is disappointing in my opinion. I have tried a couple of other brands with the same results. At least after the recent update, I am getting two more hours of run time, meaning 6 hours instead of just 4 hours. Multi IQ for all of its good qualities, seems to be a battery hog at least where the Vanquish is concerned.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Try Eneloop Pro's!

These are Nickel-metal Hydrides, right?  Are the rechargeables from Minelab also NiMH or are they lithium?

I've used the Eneloop Pros in my White's TDI/SPP.  I like them, and they are well-known for holding their charge during storage, which is rare among NiMH batteries.  The biggest problem I've seen with NiMH is their lower voltage (e.g. AA's 'plateau' around 1.25-1.3 V).  But for most modern electronics with voltage regulation that isn't an issue.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Bash
      I'll be taking this to the park in the morning!  If it wasn't blowing like 30mph out there, I'd go now!

• By Erik Oostra
      I've ordered the solar charging kit in the picture below.. I bought it because it claims to be able to charge lithium batteries, all the others I looked at said 'only for lead batteries'.. I'm no great expert on these things (you could say absolutely clueless) but I'm thinking about cutting the cord on the car charger and plugging it into the control box.. I've got another 25W panel without a control box but I'm a bit worried what might happen if I hook this straight onto the GPX battery.. I don't want to kill the bloody thing..
      My question is will a 20W panel hooked onto a control box charge my GPX 5000 battery without blowing it up? 
      Thank you very much for any advice on this one.. I plan to prospect areas well away from the power grid and the 12V charging plug in my old 4WD has stopped working since the car got flooded during a river crossing.. If this solar charger does work it'll be a huge bonus for people prospecting in areas far away from civilisation.. Maybe it'll be the game-changer we've all been waiting for 😁..
      I do realise this idea has probably been thought of a million times already, it's just that i can't find any related info on the net..

• By Reaper
      Looking for gold tomorrow. New to everything. What is the best setting for gold if anyone knows?
      I will do my best to calibrate the detector tomorrow and was thinking of trying to use some gold jewelery to attempt calibration test. I was told by someone in a hiking shop the Vanquish 440 does not have the frequency to pick up small fragments of gold, is this true? Would the “all metal” and a high sensitivity setting give me the best chance if there is not too much interference in the soil?

Thanks in advance guys.

• By Glasswalker
      Hey everyone, so I received my shiny new Vanquish 540 at Christmas, and only had a couple chances to get out and do anything with it.
      But I got out a couple times, and tried some things, this post is a mix of a bit of a log of my first activities/attempts, and what I experienced, what I think I learned, etc... As well as an ask for any tips/advice/help anyone has to add for my next couple outings (things to try, things to improve, etc)
      First time out I went around my yard/lawn/gardens, and just got familiar with the machine, played with settings, got used to the tones, etc...
      I found Jewelry Mode worked well initially (tried Coin mode, couldn't discern any real difference, and relic mode didn't seem like what I'd usually be using from the manual description). I started with max sensitivity which was a little chatty... Then turning it down 2-3 notches seemed to silence the machine completely, and it had no falses, but still clearly identified targets... Seemed pretty good 🙂 even found a couple coins along my driveway from long before I lived here (though modern spendies).
      Anyway, then next up I got a whole bunch of household objects:
      Modern coins of every denomination Some jewelry (10K gold rings, 18K gold rings, 10K gold brooch, 10K gold necklace, silver necklace, silver brooch, pewter bracelet) Assorted screws, bolts, etc Some brass hardware Misc Junk, aluminium etc And proceeded to setup a test spot that there was nothing in the ground, laid a board out, and swung past the items, getting to know the IDs for each, how I detect them, differences with different orientations, etc... Also tried each of the junk items, and even tried masking (pairing up junk with good items) to see what that did... Overall this process took a couple hours of playing with the detector, and I thought I had a good handle on it...
      So then I went to my first beach, saltwater beach, no black sand, fairly popular beach, went when it was quiet, about mid-tide. Powered up, let it do it's noise cancelling, and immediately it started chattering (still on max sensitivity) so turned it down 2-3 like I did at home, still chattery, so turned it down to 4-5 notches below max... Seemed quiet then... So then I started walking along the waterline about 1m away from where the top of the waves lapped at the sand (so sand was still "damp" but not "wet", just on the "water side" of the totally dry sand). And went along the water line at a slow pace, doing my best (and likely failing) to get a good swing technique (more on that later lol).
      What I found was that it was very noisy, it was picking up little beeps and bloops (sometimes with no target id, sometimes with) and if I went back and swung around that spot to see what the beep was, it wouldn't be there, so inconsistent... Then I did find a target that was consistent, and pinpointed it, dug it up, and it was a pull-tab, ok no problem that was expected to dig a bunch of those up, and at least I was able to identify a target and recover it successfully...
      Still had a lot of noise though, and tricky to decide what to dig and what not to. I was also noticing almost all the targets I got an ID for (including the inconsistent ones, and consistent ones) were at the max depth readout... 
      Dug 3-4 more targets, ended up with a few pull-tabs, some can slaw, and a great big iron bolt rusted really badly, which for some reason was coming up as a high 20s on the target ID...
      Had another target that was a consistent 33-35 on the target and very strong, and stable, but showing max depth... And I dug down probably 18" deep (and eventually a hole like 2 feet diameter lol). Kept re-checking still had same consistent signal... But was hitting hard-packed sand, and my digging tools weren't up to going deeper... So never recovered that one...
      Once I went a couple hundred meters I turned around and went the other direction, as the tide had come in a bit by then... And when I turned I switched from Jewelry to Coin mode, and tried Coin mode on the return trip... Still had that noisy behavior, like I was picking up 1-2 beeps or bloops on every swing, but mostly tiny beeps (medium to high pitch, not iron tone) usually with no ID code. I did figure out around this time that the unstable hits I was getting at 14-15 id which seemed consistent enough to warrant double-checking, but weren't stable, if I turned on all metal mode, I immediately noticed a consistent iron tone, so thought those might be junk pretending to be something else... 
      So in total I spent about 2 hours on the beach, found some trash, cleaned the beach up a bit, and had some fun. But clearly need to do some more learning to get better with the machine.
      Another thing I learned is I suspect my form is off (ergonomics, swing technique, whatever). I was able to get a decent swing arc about 60-90 degree arc in front of me, and I think did an "ok" job of keeping the coil at a consistent flat height, but probably lifted it a bit at the end of the swing (did my best not to). Also beach was a bit rocky/shelly, mostly clean sand, but had "debris" and occasionally bumped some of that, or scuffed off a rock, etc... Again tried not to do that either lol... But the biggest thing that seemed to indicate I was doing something wrong is I was getting a fair bit of fatigue, which became pain, in my hand/wrist and running up my forearm. I suspected initially I was gripping the handgrip too tightly, tried to loosen off that, but while the detector seems super light and simple to swing at first, after a couple hours it quickly began to wear on me (and I'm a big guy, with a fair bit of upper body strength). After coming back and reading, I suspect my first mistake was over-reaching with the coil. I had it about 20+ inches in front of my feet when swinging, didn't realize I should have it much closer... Also as I said I was over-gripping the hand-grip. So I'll try adjusting some of that next time. But any other tips there would be appreciated.
      Secondly, I was troubled by how "noisy" it was, and combined with all the targets I was seeing being at "max depth" indicator, was worried, that turning down sensitivity further might mean I'm missing things... I didn't seem to notice a main difference between the coin and jewelry mode, but probably don't have enough time on the machine to tell the subtle differences yet...
      So, first off does anyone with experience think one mode is preferable over another for general beach hunting on the Vanquish 540?
      Second, how should I be tuning the detector to optimize my experience? Should I be turning the sensitivity down further? Am I missing targets? (am I mis-reading the depth indicator) etc... 🙂
      I didn't really experiment much with the Iron Bias setting (low vs the default of high), and I didn't play with Iron Volume at all.
      Anyway, any advice or input/suggestions at all would be appreciated. I'm excited to get out and get more practice in, and learn some more, but always good to take what I've learned, and combine it with sound advice from those with the battle scars to know what they are talking about 😉
      I know @phrunt has already given me a ton of good advice on the local NZ id codes to look for with commonly found coin types, etc... And those matched up perfectly with what I found in my little "test garden" experiment at home... And so Simon if you have any specific advice being as you've detected in some of the similar environments I'm in, and with the same detector, any additional "nuggets" that you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated (of the information kind I mean of course, though the other kind would be appreciated also lol)
      Thanks! And happy hunting!
    • By Ridge Runner
      I have been married two times and it’s been a long time.haha
      To win this inverter tell me the total number of years to both wives.
      Please only one guess for each person. I’ll stop the contest on 3/17/18 6PM CST and the nearest guess without going over is the winner. If someone gets it correct sooner I’ll stop it then.
      Chuck
      PS Has one USB port 

• By rvpopeye
      Just now reading Ridge Runner's contest (I know , it's over!), I noticed some comments mentioned looking for one.......
      I live in my RV so inverters (and solar) are in my wheelhouse ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !
      I am partial to the pure sine wave (PSW)  type as the sensitive electronics like computers (or a Nox) , are often a bit "gun shy" around the modified sine wave (MSW) units.
      I just got a Renogy 700watt PSW inverter last summer and am very impressed with it. ANNNND  My Nox seems to like it too.
      A bit more power than the prize unit but it will charge two detectors including headphones at the same time. with power to spare. ( A good thing.)
      (I won't mention my old inverter as it sucked slime water from the Black Lagoon .... OK,  it released the "magic smoke" )