Is Anyone Using An Rnb Lithium Battery For The Vanquish?

Bayard

I notice that RNB now has a lithium battery pack for the Vanquish priced around $60.

I have been using RNB battery packs in my Etrac for years and probably will buy one of these Vanquish batteries, if there are no bugs needing to be worked out.  I intend to keep the Vanquish in my car trunk and will only use it sporadically.  Regular rechargeables don't seem to hold a charge if they are not used for a long time.  In contrast, the RNB batteries seem to hold a charge indefinitely.  I want to be confident that the detector is going to work even if it has been sitting unused in the car trunk for months.

1 hour ago, Bayard said:

I notice that RNB now has a lithium battery pack for the Vanquish priced around $60.

I have been using RNB battery packs in my Etrac for years and probably will buy one of these Vanquish batteries, if there are no bugs needing to be worked out.  I intend to keep the Vanquish in my car trunk and will only use it sporadically.  Regular rechargeables don't seem to hold a charge if they are not used for a long time.  In contrast, the RNB batteries seem to hold a charge indefinitely.  I want to be confident that the detector is going to work even if it has been sitting unused in the car trunk for months.

Hi , could you post a pic of this RNB battery thanks ... Is this battery rechargeable ? For info I often use lithium AA non rechargeable batteries for my Vanquish , they work very well 15hours autonomy but unfortunately not rechargeable ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palzynski said:

Hi , could you post a pic of this RNB battery thanks ... Is this battery rechargeable ? For info I often use lithium AA non rechargeable batteries for my Vanquish , they work very well 15hours autonomy but unfortunately not rechargeable ... 

The RNB battery replaces the battery cover on the Vanquish, and it is rechargeable.  There are a couple of Youtube videos on the battery, and it appears to be widely available for sale with U.S. dealers.  The manufacturer is RNB Innovations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is the RNB pack:
https://www.crawfordsmd.com/rnb-vanquish-powerpack
and:
http://www.paulcee.co.uk/blog/?new-minelab-vanquish-battery

I think there's little need for this, myself, as the benefit of 4 x AA cells is that they give you the option of which cell type to use ( primary, rechargeable, a variety of different types ), and they are easily replaced with a fresh set when needed.
Mr. Bayard would be OK with a set of low-self-discharge NiMH's from an established brand, with a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells kept as a backup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Mr. Bayard would be OK with a set of low-self-discharge NiMH's from an established brand, with a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells kept as a backup.

I'm looking to be bullet proof, not just OK.  I'd rather spend $60 and never have to worry about batteries again.  I use an RNB battery pack in my Etrac and keep a fully charged RNB pack in the trunk (boot) of my car as a spare.  I would never go back to conventional batteries for the Etrac again.  The convenience of lithium is just too great, total reliability and more hunting time between charges.

That spare RNB pack might only get used once or twice a year; but, it never fails to hold a full charge even with months between uses.  It's in my car trunk during freezing winters and hot summers yet it still never fails. 

The Vanquish is going to stay in my car all the time too.  I'll only be using it on the rare occasion that I see a promising site and don't happen to have my Etrac or Equinox in the car.  Unless somebody has experienced a problem with the RNB pack for the Vanquish, I intend to buy one soon.

• Like 1

I just had a look on this RNB pack on internet and I watched one or 2 related videos ...

Very nice product which increases the Vanquish power from 12Wh ( 4nimh AA 1.2V 2500mAh ) to 36Wh ( rnb pack 6V 6000mAh ).  Which means 33hours duration with the rnb instead of 11hours with the 4nimh , quite good ... The rnb pack is just a little heavier than the 4 nimh batteries ( rnb pack 150grams , 4 nimh + cover 120grams ).

I hope that rnb will propose an other option with a  smaller capacity Vanquish rnb pack like 3000mAh ( 16hours autonomy ). It would be lighter while still providing a good autonomy. 

I would not be surprised if ML propose such a product for the Vanquish in the future , because integrated li/ion batteries are much more reliable and lighter than multiple AA batteries

• Like 3

I have an RnB battery on my AT Pro and it works really well. Run time is almost double of standard alkalines. One thing is the battery life indicator on your machine may not be that accurate. If you see it about 1/2 way then recharge it. I find it runs full power for most of its charge then drops radically to nothing.

I have not used an RNB pack in a Vanquish yet. I have used RNB rechargeable battery packs in other detectors and found them to be good to excellent as far as being well balanced and for being dependable for the amount of running time advertised for each detector they are custom made for.

As far as other rechargeables, I do not have the supplied Minelab rechargeables. I have been using Tenergy 2500 mAh Ni-MH rechargeables and they have lasted no more than 6 hours which is disappointing in my opinion. I have tried a couple of other brands with the same results. At least after the recent update, I am getting two more hours of run time, meaning 6 hours instead of just 4 hours. Multi IQ for all of its good qualities, seems to be a battery hog at least where the Vanquish is concerned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Try Eneloop Pro's!

These are Nickel-metal Hydrides, right?  Are the rechargeables from Minelab also NiMH or are they lithium?

I've used the Eneloop Pros in my White's TDI/SPP.  I like them, and they are well-known for holding their charge during storage, which is rare among NiMH batteries.  The biggest problem I've seen with NiMH is their lower voltage (e.g. AA's 'plateau' around 1.25-1.3 V).  But for most modern electronics with voltage regulation that isn't an issue.

• Like 2