Multi Iq In Hot Red Clay Vs Single Frequency, Pi Or Zvt

1515Art

39 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

That gets you in the game, but servicing becomes an issue.

Depends on what type of service if it's just an upgrade I would wait for the summer months then send it back that really should be a big deal, but yea with the pandemic that changes the game some.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

We are way off topic here....

Yes, you can put it on your own shaft that you buy locally, so all you need to buy is the control box/mount and arm cuff battery mount.  The PL4 model coming out soon has even further improved on portability.

275646877_qedPL4.thumb.jpg.4c630cdf993ed67dba695a757d88cb0f.jpg

Then you'd need to supply your own 18650 battery's, charger and shaft, speaker if you use one.  I'd just buy the lot as it's not heavy anyway and the shaft is telescopic so good for shipping.

Shipping OZ to US isn't horrendous like it is USA to Australia but if you did want to fly it back for a future firmware upgrade you'd just send the tiny little control box without the handle.  It's very small and light so USA shipping shouldn't be too bad.

If you already have a GPX or GPZ you're not going to see any major performance improvements I don't think especially the GPZ although you can adjust the QED to be more sensitive than the GPX 4500 to smaller gold if the soil you're in lets you, not sure about the 5000 as I don't have one to compare.   One benefit it has over a GPX 4500 is you can disable ground balance which gives it a big performance boost in suitable mild soils/sand, the GPX 5000 has this as Coin and Relic mode which is Ground Balance disabled.  The other big benefit over the GPX series is it's ability to handle EMI far better than the GPX so can be used in places the GPX very much struggles and needs severely dummed down, the QED just putts along like nothing is wrong so if you do detect in higher EMI areas, that's a big bonus to the QED over the GPX and the reason I bought one.

The big benefits are around portability and weight, it is a featherweight detector and so easy to swing without fatigue, I always compare it to a VLF and it even feels lighter than my T2 so if you were going on a trip where you were swinging for days on end you'd get more swing time before your worn out which could increase your gold take.  I know when I get worn out and tired I get lazy and lazy detecting is a setup for failure 🙂

Those with a Whites TDI or Garrett ATX would be the ones to notice a performance boost I would think.

It's had some weak points in past models with some 3D printed parts that can break if treated rough, not sure if they're gone with the PL4 but it appears so.  If there are still some 3D printed parts there and I was buying from the US I'd just get them to put in a spare part just in case, save getting one posted over separately in the future should you drop the detector and break it.  An extra part would not cost much.   I've heard someone say the PL2 control box mount is weak, but they haven't broken it and nor have I and I pick my QED up by it's control box all the time.   I broke my speaker mount as I hooked my speaker on a bush and it cracked the mount from being flexed/bent, it was my fault obviously and I broke my stand/feet as I dropped it on a rock and it cracked, again my fault.  Super glue would have fixed either as the 3D Print separated but had it been molded plastic it probably wouldn't have broken as 3D printed stuff is a bit more brittle/weak.

Nothing here off topic, all great information for anyone in the market for a detector.

• Like 1

I agree with this still being on topic since we are trying to determine what detectors work in highly mineralized dirt, which definitely includes the Equinox and just about any decent PI detector. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

We are way off topic here....

You mean discussing the QED in a Multi-IQ thread?  I do feel bad we've added to Steve's workload (if he chooses to break this off into a separate thread) but I don't feel so bad that I'm not posting about it.  Besides, "he started it" as little kids point out when getting into trouble ('he' not meaning Steve here, btw).

Simon, with Reg Wilson now apparently departed from the site that leaves you as the spokesman for the QED.

One thing that may have slipped through the cracks when talking about buying from Australia and shipping to USA -- the FCC certification process.  I don't know the requirements (maybe there is a minimum number of units that 'trigger' the requirement) but AFAIK this hasn'be been done for the QED.  There might even be duty that's supposed to be paid.  Who gets in trouble (if anyone) if such a purchase gets noticed?  Eliphino...  It's probably insignificant enough to be under the radar right now.

Wouldn't mind seing a test between the Gold Racer (not Gold Kruzer) and the Nox with comparable coil like the 6".

The GR here gives me solid numbers to the extent of the audio. I can't say the same for my other VDI machines.

Still if you are only hitting a few inches down with mineralization that high on any IB machine then it is definately PI territory.

• Like 1

Well, I’m out of likes so for the record l likey.

and Steve, sorry if this is difficult to categorize and as always I’m never offended if when all is done if it’s just easier to delete, for the short term it’s relevant as a discussion on dealing with hot ground and if multi IQ is an advantage over single frequency compared to the other options? 

• The title was changed to Multi Iq In Hot Red Clay Vs Single Frequency, Pi Or Zvt
1 hour ago, kac said:

Wouldn't mind seing a test between the Gold Racer (not Gold Kruzer) and the Nox with comparable coil like the 6".

The GR here gives me solid numbers to the extent of the audio. I can't say the same for my other VDI machines.

Still if you are only hitting a few inches down with mineralization that high on any IB machine then it is definately PI territory.

Maybe Steve H still has his Gold Racer. I don’t. It would overload in the high mineralization around here just like the Gold Kruzer does.  You could always buy a used Nox 800, or borrow one from some of your friends that use them and find out. I would be happy to help you with settings for the Nox.

I can definitely do one for the Gold Kruzer and Equinox. I have all three of the smaller Gold Kruzer coils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

One thing that may have slipped through the cracks when talking about buying from Australia and shipping to USA -- the FCC certification process.  I don't know the requirements (maybe there is a minimum number of units that 'trigger' the requirement) but AFAIK this hasn'be been done for the QED.  There might even be duty that's supposed to be paid.  Who gets in trouble (if anyone) if such a purchase gets noticed?  Eliphino...  It's probably insignificant enough to be under the radar right now.

There is something that they would do for USA buyers but I don't remember what that was.

4 minutes ago, Swegin said:

There is something that they would do for USA buyers but I don't remember what that was.

I recall phrunt(Simon) mentioning that they would tune (detune?) the unit to be able to handle USA 60 Hz power grid transmission.

2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Steve, sorry if this is difficult to categorize

Please do not worry about stuff like that or whether threads say on topic, etc. That's all just forum housecleaning and on me due to a desire to have the subjects be searchable in the future. Single topics with descriptive titles go a long way to making that work well, but it's not something I want anyone but me to worry about. It's easy to rename threads, move them, split them.... whatever. Main thing is this is a great thread, so don't let housekeeping get in the way! :smile:

In my opinion a specialized induction balance detector running at a single frequency can be optimized to do as well as an Equinox for depth on a specific range of targets. The best example being the high frequency dedicated gold nugget units. The beauty of multi is the across-the-board performance on all targets. Multi will also always have to edge for target id however due to more information being available that single frequency detectors simply do not have at their disposal. 

But when the going gets really rough, a high power PI or ZVT will outperform both Multi-IQ and single frequency to the point where if discrimination is not required, they are the obvious choice. Though this is a good place to mention the Tarsacci MDT 8000 as another option for those who need discrimination for the worst ground, as it may provide a good compromise for some people in those circumstances. What I have found though is that if I want maximum depth, I go straight to PI or ZVT, as intermediate steps always leave me going to a PI type unit eventually anyway. Assuming the location warrants it.

I've never owned a detector that I can't get from a dealer in the U.S., which is very much because I often buy my detectors at cost from my old dealership. And I want U.S. service availability. The only reason I've not already tried a QED is a lack of U.S. support, combined with the feeling that I will get what I am looking for from Fisher or Minelab in 2021, so I am holding off. Another issue with the QED is it seems a work in progress still so waiting has benefits as the unit gets closer to some stage of completion. If for some reason both FT and ML disappoint, then QED is always there as a fallback position. When there is an official Fisher Impulse Gold and a Minelab GPX 6000 to compare to whatever the QED looks like at the time, I'll look the three over and chose one.

• Like 1