Multi Iq In Hot Red Clay Vs Single Frequency, Pi Or Zvt

4 minutes ago, Swegin said:

There is something that they would do for USA buyers but I don't remember what that was.

I recall phrunt(Simon) mentioning that they would tune (detune?) the unit to be able to handle USA 60 Hz power grid transmission.

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple answer: MultiQ is VLF, but uses multiple frequencies and advanced signal processing to determine ground and target information. Think of it like looking at something from different angles inste

The machines are actually induction balance even if they run just one frequency, choice of freqencies or multiple frequencies. VLF just stands for very low frequency which is the ranges they run at.

Not starting a war for me but kac, you really need to move your knowledge up one level from your excellent grasp of selectable single frequency technology. Maybe this will help. It's not hype. It actu

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I recall phrunt(Simon) mentioning that they would tune (detune?) the unit to be able to handle USA 60 Hz power grid transmission.

Yup, that's it.  When they're being sent to the USA they need an adjustment for the different power grid frequency to most of the rest of the world at 50Hz  I would not be surprised if all this was is changing the default value of the SMR setting to one that better suits 60hz but I'm not sure that is correct. It does seem so by this caption from the manual which suggests off frequency 50Hz power can be tuned out by adjusting the SMR.

SMR allows adjustment of the cycle time of the detector to precisely adjust the cancellation of single phase 50Hz mains signals.

• Adjusting SMR can be used to null out 50Hz mains EMI that is off frequency.
• It may also be used to null out other rhythmic EMI sources from microwave towers, 2/way radio transmissions or similar    sources of disturbance.

1808456447_QEDSMR.jpg.b03875513041bf2cbba064f91d158e88.jpg

I've used the SMR before to remove EMI from an unknown source outside of the power network, the default setting works very well for power lines.  It's not an auto tune setting where you press it and it searches, you do it manually by going to menu option 9 and using the up and down buttons until you find a clean channel, it usually does not take much off the default 107 setting.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Steve, sorry if this is difficult to categorize

Please do not worry about stuff like that or whether threads say on topic, etc. That's all just forum housecleaning and on me due to a desire to have the subjects be searchable in the future. Single topics with descriptive titles go a long way to making that work well, but it's not something I want anyone but me to worry about. It's easy to rename threads, move them, split them.... whatever. Main thing is this is a great thread, so don't let housekeeping get in the way! :smile:

In my opinion a specialized induction balance detector running at a single frequency can be optimized to do as well as an Equinox for depth on a specific range of targets. The best example being the high frequency dedicated gold nugget units. The beauty of multi is the across-the-board performance on all targets. Multi will also always have to edge for target id however due to more information being available that single frequency detectors simply do not have at their disposal. 

But when the going gets really rough, a high power PI or ZVT will outperform both Multi-IQ and single frequency to the point where if discrimination is not required, they are the obvious choice. Though this is a good place to mention the Tarsacci MDT 8000 as another option for those who need discrimination for the worst ground, as it may provide a good compromise for some people in those circumstances. What I have found though is that if I want maximum depth, I go straight to PI or ZVT, as intermediate steps always leave me going to a PI type unit eventually anyway. Assuming the location warrants it.

I've never owned a detector that I can't get from a dealer in the U.S., which is very much because I often buy my detectors at cost from my old dealership. And I want U.S. service availability. The only reason I've not already tried a QED is a lack of U.S. support, combined with the feeling that I will get what I am looking for from Fisher or Minelab in 2021, so I am holding off. Another issue with the QED is it seems a work in progress still so waiting has benefits as the unit gets closer to some stage of completion. If for some reason both FT and ML disappoint, then QED is always there as a fallback position. When there is an official Fisher Impulse Gold and a Minelab GPX 6000 to compare to whatever the QED looks like at the time, I'll look the three over and chose one.

• Like 2

I would be holding off on a QED until the PL4's release, which is meant to be very soon, the new firmware that is going to come with it sounds fantastic.  This was posted by Brian Skinn, one of the dealers.

This PL3 upgrade process needs to be carefully managed through time to avoid a massive upgrade overload at the one time, so the PL3 upgrade will be staged to ensure an even/steady flow of PL3s to upgrade.

Anticipated firmware changes are:

1) the AGB button will work really really well
2) the MGB will increase to 400 from 300 along with an internal adjustment
3) an internal change to gain
4) modes / delay will change
5) ‘tracking’ if time permits

The AGB (Auto Ground Balance) button for the most part stopped functioning well with the current firmware upgrade due to a huge change in the way the QED ground balances which made it much more forgiving with variable ground so it's good to see that being fixed.

The Modes/Delay change is one I've been looking forward to as 7uS was taken away and changed to 8uS I think it was for the lowest mode, 7uS was coming back in the latest firmware as the new ground balance method made it more viable for people in worse soils, losing the 7uS for me took a bit of sensitivity away in my mild soils.

Tracking would be pretty neat, although for me not necessary, others may like it.
  • Like 3