I Hit For The Silver Cycle But My Friend...

Compass

Chains are tough, some barely pick up if at all on many machines, gold that thin is so close to foil and the shape if its sprawled out or balled up I imagine is what makes them so easy to overlook. Takes a good ear and good degree of skill to pick them up.

• Like 2

Hey Compass,

You have done well this year! Have you got to work on the canoe since you retired? When's the maiden voyage?

I think jewelry wearers in California are still wearing, and loosing some good stuff; from some of the finds I've seen from there this year! I think alot of people in my area of Florida have either made the switch to cheaper jewelry, or they are finally learning to leave the good stuff at home! I'm sure down Miami way, they still loose some good stuff, but it's to far for me to bother going down there! I prefer to trek up to the Treasure Coast, when condition's are good, to try and get my first Spanish coin!

Keep up the good work! Both on the canoe, and the finds!👍👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Compass,

That is a nice collection.  Well done.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, With that much silver I would have thought that the gold might have made an appearance but maybe next time.

8 hours ago, kac said:

Chains are tough, some barely pick up if at all on many machines, gold that thin is so close to foil and the shape if its sprawled out or balled up I imagine is what makes them so easy to overlook. Takes a good ear and good degree of skill to pick them up.

I agree that certain detectors are much better on chains than others. Prior to this year I really hadn't found that many. 

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Compass,

You have done well this year! Have you got to work on the canoe since you retired? When's the maiden voyage?

I think jewelry wearers in California are still wearing, and loosing some good stuff; from some of the finds I've seen from there this year! I think alot of people in my area of Florida have either made the switch to cheaper jewelry, or they are finally learning to leave the good stuff at home! I'm sure down Miami way, they still loose some good stuff, but it's to far for me to bother going down there! I prefer to trek up to the Treasure Coast, when condition's are good, to try and get my first Spanish coin!

Keep up the good work! Both on the canoe, and the finds!👍👍

Thanks Joe, After taking a little break from the canoe I started back on it about a month ago. I'm getting close to closing up the bottom which I hope to do on Thanksgiving. At that point I will be about 1/3 of the way done according to my plans.

IMG_20201104_151936.thumb.jpg.dc4247ea1e3c4858ee70d5ac75cab768.jpg

Hoping to put her in the water around springtime.

Even though there are a lot more alternatives to gold and silver jewelry than there used to be I agree with you about people still wearing and losing some good stuff. I've been fortunate in finding some of that good stuff this year. However, a Spanish coin from a sunken galleon would be the ultimate treasure find in my opinion. Good luck in your quest!

• Thanks 1

Compass the first and only kayak I built was during 1972 I completed it just before I went to Papua New Guinea for nearly 7 years. I hope you do better than me as my departure from Australia prevented me from launching it. A workmate bought it and used in a local club as a training kayak and claimed it was fantastic. I now paddle a 5+ meter (17 ft) Carbon Kevlar Kayak. Please post a photo when you launch your canoe.

• Like 1