Newbie here,how do I connect the  Garrett Z-Lynk to the Equinox 600?  Doesn't the WT-1 box of the Z Lynk have to be physically connected to the 600 via adapter cord? I didn't see any such cord on the Minelab site.

I just bought this 600 havn't even used it yet  but fter reading post from different sources, I think I'm going to hate this thing.

For others who might be reading, you do have to plug the Z-Lynk transmitter into whatever detector you are using. Minelab does not make the Garrett system, and there is no reason they would sell Garrett accessories. Garrett themselves sells the appropriate cable to connect to a 1/4” headphone outlet. You would then need the proper 1/8” to 1/4” adapter to plug into the Equinox. The wrong adapter will provide no sound in one or both ears. Minelab sells an expensive Equinox to 1/4” adapter cable. There are inexpensive adapters that might work, but they must fit into the recessed 1/8” socket on the Equinox, and must be wired properly so that the external speaker will shut off and sound delivers properly to both ears.

Garrett WRT to 1/4” cable....

EC39FA34-21B4-4D7E-AC1E-9357F3DA0A05.jpeg

Minelab Equinox to 1/4” cable 3.5mm (1/8-inch) to 6.35mm (1/4-inch) Part No. 3011-0369

minelab-equinox-18-14-headphone-adapter-cable.jpg

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, zippykar said:

I just bought this 600 havn't even used it yet  but fter reading post from different sources, I think I'm going to hate this thing.

I don't know what sources you are referring to, but it's in your best interests to keep an open mind.  The reactions to the Minelab Equinox here (going on 3 years) have been mostly positive (and that may be putting it too mildly).  Not every detector matches up to every detectorist, though.

I have (and like) a Z-lynk system for use with my other detectors (e.g. Fisher F75) but the Eqx 800 comes with proprietary transmission/reception which is ultra fast.  Unfortunately ML has chosen to charge an outrageous price for the WM08 receiver which is included in the 800 package but not the 600 package.  The good news is that you can find them for less than $100 (with shipping) on Ebay, sold be Eqx 800 owners who choose a different audio path.  (I bought a backup -- that's how much I like it, but you still have to plug in your corded headphones to the WM08 and many people find that inconvenient/annoying, particularly since cordless Bluetooth options are available.)

There are tons of posts here on detectorprospector.com regarding Bluetooth options for the Equinox (works the same for both 600 and 800) and also some for the WM08 (ditto).

• Like 4

I have two WM08 modules, I don't know why or how, I assume there was two in my Equinox 800 box by accident.   I've never used either.

wm08.thumb.jpg.c8553f848c93aefc0052e09fc2a82bdd.jpg

Can anyone who uses headphones really tell the difference between using the WM08 or Garrett Z-Lynk over just using plain old bluetooth low latency, it just seems another thing to charge up and have dangling off the detector, another unnecessary annoyance.

• Like 1

Simon,

You should trade or sell those, while the price is good! That's a good bit of coin sitting unused!

And leave it to you to get two of them! You lucky devil you!!

Zippy,

I've had two Equinoxes, and they have both worked very well at many sites, and situations! 600 or 800; they are as close to an all-in-one detector as you are going to get in that price range! Although my current 800 did not come with headphones or a WM08 module, my unit works fine with a 1/8 wired adapter i picked up for about $20! I use it all the time now, on land and water! Work's great! The only improvements i would make on my setup is a 90° Nox plug, and running the wire inside the shaft! 

Good Luck with yours! Don't get discouraged!👍👍

20201119_225806.jpg

20201119_225926.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, zippykar said:

Newbie here,how do I connect the  Garrett Z-Lynk to the Equinox 600?  Doesn't the WT-1 box of the Z Lynk have to be physically connected to the 600 via adapter cord? I didn't see any such cord on the Minelab site.

You have several choices. I just hooked up my Z-Lynk module to my Nox. I have the MS-3 headphones and the Z-Lynk transmitter. I used a 1/8” male stereo pigtail along with a 1/8”male to 1/4” female stereo adapter, plugged in the Z-Lynk transmitter and I had left and right ear cup sound with no problem. I did the same with mono plugs and had still had left and right ear cup sound with no problem. I also used the Equinox specific adapter and it worked too. No matter which one you use the biggest factor is making sure that the 1/8” plug that plugs into the Equinox audio receptacle has to be very slender. A fat plug will not fit. Also, unless you buy the expensive official Equinox adapter cable, you will not have waterproofing for the control box.

0A2A6E02-A4B4-4A54-BC3E-A4C34DC7BE55.jpegSome people do end up hating the Equinox. That would be too bad if you are one of them. I have tried just about every mid level detector on the market in the last 5 years and the Equinox is about as good as it gets for those that can only have one detector. It is not the best at anything but I would rank it second or third at least in every category. Aside for the Minelab Etrac and CTX 3030, it has the most accurate target ID on shallow and deep targets on the market along with the Vanquish. It’s as fast as most really fast detectors except for the Deus and as deep as most really deep detectors except for those that have really good threshold based All Metal modes and maybe the Deeptech Vista X and the Tarsacci and most Pulse Induction detectors. It will work in freshwater, in high mineralization and in saltwater and it is one of the most adjustable detectors on the market too feature wise. I use mine almost every day and trust it completely to get any job done.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have two WM08 modules, I don't know why or how, I assume there was two in my Equinox 800 box by accident.   I've never used either.

wm08.thumb.jpg.c8553f848c93aefc0052e09fc2a82bdd.jpg

Can anyone who uses headphones really tell the difference between using the WM08 or Garrett Z-Lynk over just using plain old bluetooth low latency, it just seems another thing to charge up and have dangling off the detector, another unnecessary annoyance.

I always use one of my WM08 modules if I am hunting for small gold, deep coins or deep relics. There is no noticeable lag using the WM08 and yes, I can hear the lag using the Bluetooth system even with quality ATPX low latency headphones or earbuds.

If you use wired headphones or earbuds when you are prospecting, using the WM08 is a no brainer in my opinion. Super easy to pair and great sound.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Also, unless you buy the expensive official Equinox adapter cable, you will not have waterproofing for the control box.

FWIW - Equinox waterproof design issues notwithstanding, since the Equinox control pod headphone jack has an internal seal, theoretically, you actually don't have to use the official Equinox adapter cable to ensure control box waterproofing.  Nevertheless, using the official adapter cable ensures the cable connector at control box end is waterproof.  This is borne out by the following excerpt from the Equinox user guide:

SmartSelect_20201120-005146_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

FWIW - Equinox waterproof design issues notwithstanding, since the Equinox control pod headphone jack has an internal seal, theoretically, you actually don't have to use the official Equinox adapter cable to ensure control box waterproofing.  Nevertheless, using the official adapter cable ensures the cable connector at control box end is waterproof.  This is borne out by the following excerpt from the Equinox user guide:

SmartSelect_20201120-005146_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thanks for clarifying this. I always keep the plastic cover on the audio port no matter what.