A Late Morning Lake Hunt!

What's up with the orientation of that photo?  Are you trying to make the members here from the bottom side of the world feel more comfortable?

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What's up with the orientation of that photo?  Are you trying to make the members here from the bottom side of the world feel more comfortable?

Or do you mean that sometimes a good day is completely turn upside down. 😁

I don't know what happened here, I thought photo was right side up when I posted it. Just trying to show high water in lake. Trying to give you successful lake beach hunters ( for jewelry ) as much info as I can to see if there is something I'm missing. Besides me not getting my coil over this type of target..... Lol !!!!! Isn't that part of what this site is about ??? But if this gave some of you a chuckle, that works for me in these times....  

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Dig It said:

...If this gave some of you a chuckle, that works for me in these times....

It was worse than that.  My wife was ready to call 911 (asking them to make sure to bring a straight-jacket) when she saw me standing on my head in front of the computer.

🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's one way of getting the finds to go shallower. Maybe there just isn't any lost jewlery? Rings and ear rings I have found have always been where the highest concentration of people had been.

• Like 1

I went back to the lake today, at a different location not far from the first! Started right off with a quarter and a tiny gold child's ring, with three tiny stones! Over about the next 2 hours, i collected  another 45 coins, what i think is a silver and citrine pendant, a Timex watch that took a licking, and stopped ticking! And the usual junk targets! The junk to good target ratio has been better in the water, than on land! My oldest coin's where 1967! I'm still trying to locate some silver coins, but they may have been cherry picked, or are too deep to recover with the stock Nox coil! at least i picked up a few pieces of jewelry today! And the weather was beautiful!👍👍

20201123_230816.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I'm still trying to locate some silver coins,...

No ring-and-beavertail pulltabs among your junk targets (but I see the Busch beer can lid had one).  Only one nickel 5 cent piece.  Did you hunt wide open for a while and then disc against the lower conductors (including nickel zone)?

If I'm at a site that has been used more/less continuously over the years I want to see R&B pulltabs (last manufactured ~1975).  For the modern tabs I'd be happy if I never saw another one.

BTW, you should have pointed out that the top coin is a modern USA $1 coin.  The Aussies and Kiwis think we don't have those, and I sometimes wonder myself....

• Like 2

GB,

I've only ever had my hands on two of those dollar coins myself, and i found both of them detecting!! They don't even have dates on them! And I've never seen them in circulation! So i know what you mean!!

I was hunting Park 1 wide open! The only other trash i found where some bottle caps, and several more modern poptabs, that weren't in the picture! I intentionally included the Bush beer can! As it was an older pulltab can, found fairly deep, that usually don't survive! 

I was surprised i only got one nickel this time, but the last hunt nearby here, i found eight with the same settings! I don't remember off hand the ratios of US coin distribution, but it always seems to me that nickels are the least carried; and lost, of all the modern coins! Besides, my nickels were hitting a hard 13, while the poptabs always seem to waffle between 13-15! Also the poptabs are so light that they tend to wonder around, and miss the scoop repeatedly! I dig them anyway, because you never know exactly where gold rings will register! You can see in both hunts, that i also chased the lead for the same reason! Several of the pieces kept falling through my scoop! 

As it was starting to get toward sunset, i had a large piece of dark old floating bamboo, bump me in the leg, and scare the s**t out of me, as i thought a big old alligator was about to grab me!! I almost dropped my detector in the water, to beat it with my scoop!!😂

When i growing up in the 70's, if any water was in biking distance, i was going there to fish! This lake was a few blocks away, so i fished here alot!!  At dusk, there used to be some huge alligators that would come up to me on the dock! They were used to being fed by some "stupid" people in the neighborhood; and wanted my stringer of fish! I would just bean them in the head with some big rocks, and they would get the hint! Later on, after many complaints by fishermen, skiers, and people concerned about kids, and pets! They were mostly removed! But you never know if the little one's they inevitably missed, may be still lurking! 🐊 👍👍

• Like 1