Nel Superfly On The Kruzer

kac

Finally got a Superfly for my Multi Kruzer. It weighs just .01 lbs more than the stock 7x11. Overall it is less chattery and I can kick the gain up much more. Depth wise on a silver dime it at same gain settings it will go between 2"-3" deeper with steadier numbers. Target separation seems to be about the same and in the field I gave it a go for about an hour or so and it was really nice to swing. Though I only found a bit of clad I plan on giving this one some serious hours.

Not sure if it is a worthy upgrade for anyone with an Amphibio but if you have one of the Kruzers I highly recommend it.

• Like 6

I initially got an 11" Nokta coil but it had some problems and I sent it back. I never heard what was wrong with it so I was hesitant to get another in case there was some bad batch, it could have been an isolated incident but didn't know. My other option was to go slightly bigger to the 13" coil but that happened to be out of stock and they just got a batch of the SuperFly's in so I snagged one. Jeff Mclendon had picked one up for his AT Gold hand had good comments about it.

Compared to other Nel coils the SF is thinner and lighter and is still very sturdy. I do like how well the target can pp off the center. I took it to a spot I had picked up quite a few civ war era coins and artifacts that has been heavily pounded by many people in the area and it did really well with separation so I was able to pick out a bunch of clad nickels, a dime and few copper pennies. Nothing to really brag about in terms of finds other than many consider the place picked clean. There are nearby power lines that made the 7x11 a little fluttery and this doesn't seem to be a major issue with this coil. I have some really grueling spots that suffer major power lines and some nice thick bog iron I can swing it through but have to play off the tides. Will try to hit the beach with it this weekend too.

Anyways it's a safe buy nice performer.

• Like 4

Ken, I am really glad the Nel Super Fly is helping to stabilize your Multi Kruzer. The MK really is an outstanding detector even when it is handicapped with the stock coil. 

Simon, the Simplex with a Nel coil and carbon fiber lower shaft sounds like a great way to celebrate Christmas.

I am all over the Nel Super Fly that is on my Garrett AT Gold. The whole setup is still a little heavy but the Super Fly weighs less and detects way better than the Garrett 8.5"X11" coil with very steady numbers and excellent target separation. It's a keeper.

• Like 4

That would be a great topic Simon. I would sure like to know the answer.

By the way, the Nel Super Fly I purchased for my AT Gold says AT Gold right on the coil and not just on some dinky peel off label either. It does not say AT Series, Pro or Max.

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wonder why these aftermarket coil manufacturers always seem to make better coils than the genuine article.   Thanks for all the information on it.  Sounds great.

Probably because NEL has spent more time on the coil design and testing than the genuine manufacturer...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That would be a great topic Simon. I would sure like to know the answer.

By the way, the Nel Super Fly I purchased for my AT Gold says AT Gold right on the coil and not just on some dinky peel off label either. It does not say AT Series, Pro or Max.

Maybe they fine tune the coil to the particular machine and not necessrily for the whole line? To me that would explain why they would work better than a stock coil. Also stock coils seem to be for general hunting for the particular machine in many cases and when we buy a 3rd party coil the size is chosen more for our particular needs. Do have to say that having the Nel Big and now the Superfly I see how Nel has progressed in their designs.

Got a couple more hours in on the MK with the SF this afternoon. Not much to brag about but considering how this place has bee picked through I am impressed. Most of these targets are mixed in and below iron bits so the separation on the SF is pretty impressive. Used 3 tone, 14khz with gain at 95. If I tried that with the stock 7x11 it doesn't have the depth on many of these and would be too sparky to hear anything. Perhaps the 7x11 is just too sensitive never the less the sf seems to have a better balance on depth and detection sensivity and proving to be a nice relic coil for me.

IMG_1299.JPG

• Like 4

I like your finds. I went out to hunted hard spot with the Orx and got bullet casings and a button.

• Like 1

Old button and a musket ball is still better than a pull tab, I'm happy :)

I hit that area and will again because it is tough hunting. I found quite a few late 1700's-mid 1800's coins in that area despite all the competition. I haven't found any $1 or $5 gold coins but suspect there has to be some there. Good news is they fall in the foil and aluminum range so that should keep others discouraged enough to leave them for me :)

Interesting they even say what generation the coils are rather than just hide it in a batch code. I looked at the Tornado and price wise it was $195 than the Nokta 13 at $170 and both on the heavy side. I wanted the lighter and smaller coil especially because of many spots I hunt have some serious hills.

Usually. I haven't been a big fan of after-market coils because most f the hunting I've done the past 37 years ash been very ferrous-contaminated sites a good 85% of the time.  For that, the better coils have been smaller-than-stock and I've noted that generally a detector maker also provides a decent-performing smaller-size coil.    The big trend for a lot of after-marker coil makers was to offer larger-size coils, and they just didn't fit  my needs.  There was a period, however, when I was using some FBS models and evaluated a lot of the after-market coils from 4½X7 on up to 12" and larger, and for big urban city parks they worked OK, but they were usually heavier than the standard coils.

i mainly tried aftermarket coils on Minelab, White's and then some on Nokta or Makro products, and of them all I was most pleased by the Sharpshooter, Snake and Sharp coils from NEL .... but while I liked their build quality and performance, I already had good-working coils from the detector maker in the smaller to mid-size coil categories.  However, some manufacturers do not offer  smaller-size coil for some of their models, such as Nokta / Makro for their Simplex + r Garrett for their Apex, so I am eager to get a NEL Sharp 5" DD for both of those models and give them a serious workout in an assortment of locations, and I would guess I will enjoy some improved performance and handing in the trashier environments.

But I have been transitioning back into more urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and considered working a good aftermarket coil in the wide-open places, but with my mobility limitations I definitely didn't want to go to a heavier search coil.  I enjoy the round 11" on the Simplex ... but I never liked the looks or, or the feel, or the rod-mount point, or the performance of the 11" BiAxial coils on a FTP device.

I do like the T2 series so I bought a new T2+ as well as the NEL Super Fly to give it a try in plowed fields and open grassy parks.  Impressive!  Rod-mount is centered, weight is remarkably light and comfortable, and so far in my evaluating I have found it to work well, with VDI read-outs that have been tighter and better than with the 11" BiAxial coil.  If we don't get snow this evening, and there's a possibility, the ground will be good and we might hit 45° on Tuesday and I plan to give it another work-out.  Might just keep a Super Fly and 5" DD combination with a T2+ around.  

• Like 6