Detecting Boots

There used to be a wider selection of decent metal free boots but I'm having trouble finding anything these days which meet all my criteria. I also use my boots for work, general mining/prospecting, and daily use. The Reebok/Converse ones used to be the gold standard but their quality and comfort has declined and they are too large/clunky for daily use. They used to be more comfortable to me than actual hiking boots but now every pair I buy has pressure points that never go away so I've given up on them.

If anyone knows of a boot that fits the following criteria I'd be interested to try something new:

• Fully leather and 6-8" high for snakes/general sharp thing protection
  • Composite safety toe for working around heavy equipment, falling rocks, kicking stuff out of the way, etc
  • Side zip or slip on for easy off/on daily boots
  • Light colored such as tan, sage, or at least light brown and not black for desert/heat use
  • Not overly puffy and large like the Converse's, nice enough to wear with normal clothes

The closest I can find are the 5.11 Evo 8's but they do have a small bit of metal on the zipper and they discontinued the reddish brown color I like. They were more comfortable to me than my hiking boots despite being duty boots. 5.11 discontinued the other boot I really liked about 5 years ago too and these were the replacement for it. Doc Martens has some nice all leather boots but they aren't comfortable enough for hiking. Argh. It seems in the detecting world that anytime a good boot is found, it's discontinued shortly after.

Cowboy boots fit the criteria, but they always flop around on my calves and drive me crazy.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, vanursepaul said:

We call them  4wd thongs

You're really showing your age, Paul.  My wife and I got lectured by our niece maybe 10 years ago using that old lingo, and that was after she put her eyes back in the socket.  Those are 'flips' among younger generations.  I'll let you Google Image 'thong' if you're not up on 21st Century terminology (and all the more reason to if you are 😏).

OTOH, having read many of your posts, maybe this was part of your typical subtle, clever methods....  You've spent too much time hanging around with those feisty Meganesians.

• Haha 3

On 11/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, oneguy said:

Not sure if these would be considered "detecting boots" but I'm partial to my Whites Smokejumpers.

https://whitesboots.com/firefighter/the-original-smokejumper/

Well if you wear those with an SD, GP, GPX or GPZ, I don't think you'll find much, as there is enough metal in those boots...  But at least they'll last for years as they are quality built.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, jasong said:

There used to be a wider selection of decent metal free boots but I'm having trouble finding anything these days which meet all my criteria. I also use my boots for work, general mining/prospecting, and daily use. The Reebok/Converse ones used to be the gold standard but their quality and comfort has declined and they are too large/clunky for daily use. They used to be more comfortable to me than actual hiking boots but now every pair I buy has pressure points that never go away so I've given up on them.

If anyone knows of a boot that fits the following criteria I'd be interested to try something new:

• Fully leather and 6-8" high for snakes/general sharp thing protection
  • Composite safety toe for working around heavy equipment, falling rocks, kicking stuff out of the way, etc
  • Side zip or slip on for easy off/on daily boots
  • Light colored such as tan, sage, or at least light brown and not black for desert/heat use
  • Not overly puffy and large like the Converse's, nice enough to wear with normal clothes

I use 8" Reebok Rapid Response boots, 100% no metal, got mine with composite toe. The side zipper model, which I own, has a metal zipper tab, which I remove. The boots last on average 2-3 years, but are used a lot. They are light weight, and in summer when its 115 degrees they do pretty good keeping feet cool... If you hunt in desert environment, waterproof, or snake proof boots I would not recommend, at least for me, as my feet would not breathe in them, sweat big time, get athletes feet, ect.

I also put an impenetrable insert in them, as the cactus still come through bottoms sometimes on any boot, especially the chollo. Make sure to get non metallic, a lot out there with metal in them, such as 

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/flex-shield-insole.html

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Metallic-SoleGUARDZ-Puncture-Resistant-Flexible/dp/B089J59XDT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=steel+flex+nonmetallic+puncture+resistant&qid=1606576738&sr=8-1

boots1.jpg

• Like 3

Right on Dave, looks like you are using a well tested boot. Think i will give them a try, thanks for sharing bro!🤠👍  ht

• Like 1

Those are the Reebok/Converse ones I was talking about Dave that were pretty much the gold standard in detecting for a while. For some reason ever since Reebok bought them out, they have pressure points on my ankles, top of foot, or other spots. Like they are assembled different than when Converse made them and sometimes fabric gets bunched up or doubled over in some spots by accident during sewing. Or am I just having bad luck with them? I've bought 2 pairs since Reebok took over.

They also get pretty torn up by cactus and rocks compared to the boots that use the smooth face, thicker leather and the foam/plastic thing above the sole ends up getting shredded on mine, which makes them too shabby to wear to like a dinner date or something (my boots are my full time footwear). 

I just want the perfect boot I guess, and it doesn't seem to exist. :smile:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Well if you wear those with an SD, GP, GPX or GPZ, I don't think you'll find much, as there is enough metal in those boots...  But at least they'll last for years as they are quality built.

Not sure if an SD is the same as an SDC?  If it is, so far I've had no trouble finding gold while wearing these boots alongside the SDC as long as I keep the coil out front?

I have two pairs of non-metallic boots.  One pair is made by Bates, has a zipper for ease of getting them on, the othe pair of non-metallic boots is marked MAGNUM, they are non-metallic as well.  I bought both pairs of my boots from Doc's Detecting in Henderson, Nevada.  I don't work for Doc, never met the man, but I have bought a LOT of detecting gear from him over many years...

I've been wearing Danner Stronghold Wellington 10" Brown Slip On, only metal is a little tag on side of boot that I cut off with a pair of diagonal cutters. ( Dikes ) Good snug fit, not crippled by end of day !!!!

• Like 1