Equinox Cuff Padding To Reduce Slop

nickelNdimed

13 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

My forearm where it goes though the arm cuff measures 10 inches around and I don't have any slop at all with the strap pulled tight.

Just out of curiosity, what is the circumference of your forearm where it sits in the arm cuff?

Made me look!  My forearm is 11 inches in perimeter (is it called 'girth'?) at it's fattest place, which is where my cuff is positioned.  I don't use a strap since I wear a watch on the wrist of my detecting arm and it gets caught sliding in and out.  (Not having to slide in and out is also more convenient.)  Every detector I have with its smallest coil still keeps my arm in the holder through the torque caused by it being at least slightly nose heavy.

13 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

It might also be the way you swing the detector. If you swing with your arm bent, there will be more side to side movement in the arm cuff than if you swing with your arm straight.

A few years back I asked here what is the correct angle and position to hold the detector.  I recall at least one answer (from Steve H, BTW) -- hold your arm and swing in a comfortable position.  Keeping my elbow straight would not be comfortable and would stress my back more than occurs now.  I'm not saying this won't work for some, but not me.

Bottom line is that there is not a one-size-fits-all technique for holding and swinging a detector.  (I'm not saying that you claim there is.)  From what I gather, many of us here are in the 2nd half of our detecting lives (4th quarter may be more accurate, but let's not get depressed).  Young people can get away with a lot more in terms of body positioning and usage.  Older people even more so need to find a comfort zone that allows them as many hours of detecting and pain free hours when not detecting.  I've learned (and am still learning) by experimentation what best accomplishes that for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't use a strap since I wear a watch on the wrist of my detecting arm and it gets caught sliding in and out.  (Not having to slide in and out is also more convenient.) 

I haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell phone almost 20years ago.  🙂

To me, using the strap allows me to have a much lighter grip on the handle. When I need to use both hands,  I can let go without worrying about the detector falling on the ground. The strap is also useful for setting the detector on the ground or picking it up.

• Like 2

I’m going to try this shin splint support I had laying around on my arm to simulate removing some of the slop. Not ideal but I’ll eventually want something on the cuff so it is grab and go and can fine tune the thickness. Thanks for the ideas. Good point about if it gets wet. 

I don’t use the strap on any of my detectors. I find it gets in the way. My arm is probably slightly bent so that I’m not holding the weight of detector out and hurting my shoulder. I replied in another post about trying a counterweight also. I always had the slop but I think the counterweight countering some of the coil weight is making it worse and causing more movement at end if swing if that makes sense. 

7DE6CF8A-C996-45DE-A4F9-8FC7F2AC5C31.jpeg

3F321E99-3CA1-4E4F-8E71-6B0FDA41BB03.jpeg

9AA925BE-D9B9-44DC-8C71-0BF40EA53E5A.jpeg

D6D04C62-ECC4-4F01-9489-D6F9B365B6E3.jpeg

71E363D7-1F85-42DE-9158-6C77D9756144.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried the counterweight for a few hunts and didn't like the extra weight and extra length it adds to the detector. I can understand how it might make your slop problem worse.

From what I've heard, the counterweight works best when combined with the carbon fiber rod.

• Like 1

I've 3D-printed a slighly narrower version of the arm cuff .. hold's up great so far.

armcuff800.png

• Like 3

I heated mine up and bent it inward too, leaving enough room for a coat. I use a counterweight with the 11” coil but it slips in and out so it’s optional. For brief outings I don’t use it

I added a Fisher Arm Cuff. They are inexpensive, tough, and have legs or feet to keep the detector upright. I added Sheep skin (wool). (The real thing, not fake sheep skin). It's cool in the summer and warm in winter. I use 3M aerosol adhesive.  

IMG_0122.JPG

• Like 4