Equinox Cuff Padding To Reduce Slop

nickelNdimed

My arms are long and skinny. I have a good amount of slop when swinging that I would like to improve. Even with a jacket!

I see some folks use padding on the cuff. Would like to see or get some ideas to try.  I know there is an option out there off the shelf but was looking for a DIY idea where I could customize to my arm if possible. Thanks. 

What about some stick-on foam rubber like this:

Garrett Arm Cuff Foam

or a thicker option:

Self-Stick Foam

or for a more posh option, maybe something like this:

Comfy Option

• Like 2

I just use strips of (soft) packing ethafoam and duct tape (Red Green recommended!).  It's worked great for me.

I also hate the slop and appreciate First Texas's effort in providing an adjustable width arm cuff on the Fisher F75.  Over a decade later no one (that I'm aware of) has yet gone to the ergonomic detail that First Texas did with the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75, the arm cuff being just one component in a well-thought-out ergonomic design.

• Like 2

Most people would say my arms are long and skinny. My forearm where it goes though the arm cuff measures 10 inches around and I don't have any slop at all with the strap pulled tight.

Just out of curiosity, what is the circumference of your forearm where it sits in the arm cuff?

Do you have the cuff adjusted all the way back on the rod?

It might also be the way you swing the detector. If you swing with your arm bent, there will be more side to side movement in the arm cuff than if you swing with your arm straight. A friend of mine insists on swinging with his arm bent and has worn right through the foam padding on the arm cuff. That's because as he swings, his arm moves back and forth inside the arm cuff even though his forearms are much bigger than mine. I swing with my arm straight and my foam pads still look like new. Swinging with the arm bent usually causes people to lift the coil at each end of their swing. Swinging with your arm straight makes it easier to keep the coil level to the ground as you swing.

This may not be the solution that you were asking for, but I've replaced all my plastic cuffs with aluminum! Not because of slop, but because I've broken two of my plastic cuffs; one being on the Nox!  The side benefit to the aluminum cuffs is that they are bendable to your forearm size! And yes, i always use a strap! 

If you decide to use a DIY approach! I would suggest a closed-cell foam that can be gotten at a fabric store! It won't absorb water or sweat, and a homemade cover can be made out of many items from home! Like an old dish towel, the sleeves from a old long sleeve cotton shirt, etc... The options are endless, and you don't necessarily have to sew! You can use fabric glue, or E6000 adhesive! You can make it removable to be able to wash also! If you can use a needle and thread, dental floss, or fishing line work great!

Good Luck!👍👍

• Like 1

Grandfather used this product from Amazon and trimmed it to fit his cuffs.

It is waterproof and can be layered. I hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/ESI-Premium-Height-Length-Rubber/dp/B00NCCX6C2/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1EO7SCYOQRXJ0&dchild=1&keywords=truck+topper+foam+tape&qid=1606020989&sprefix=truck+topper+foa%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-13

• Like 2

If you heat the top part of the armrest by setting the lower part in water heated in a saucepan you can bend the armrest to snugly fit your upper arm ( allowing for a coat for cold weather season) when you have it bent the way you like cool it in running cold water. I heated mine by setting it on the top of the wood stove for 10 minutes. C

• Like 2

RM,

This sounds very close to the suggestion Valens Legacy got for his coin jar of oil!🤮  🤣😂  👍👍

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Grandfather used this product from Amazon and trimmed it to fit his cuffs.

It is waterproof and can be layered. I hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/ESI-Premium-Height-Length-Rubber/dp/B00NCCX6C2/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1EO7SCYOQRXJ0&dchild=1&keywords=truck+topper+foam+tape&qid=1606020989&sprefix=truck+topper+foa%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-13

Was trying to figure out what rubber they typically use, thanks. I'll check Mcmaster.com to see what thicknesses they have. Want to pad the bottom of my Kruzer cuff to change the pitch. I do like the aluminum cuff idea the best though.

The fuzzy one might be a problem if it gets wet, be like having a soggy plush toy on your arm 😞

• Like 2