Equinox 800 Not Pairing Ml80 Headphones Strange Solution

Matelot

Hi all.

Over the last couple of days I've had a complete nightmare trying to pair my ML80 headphones to my Nox 800. So much so that yesterday I had to detect just using the speaker. Had a fairly good day though so it wasn't all bad! Anyway I didn't want to resurrect the two and a half year old thread below and thought I'd post a solution I found today whilst trying to get the damn things to connect.

So, after trying all the solutions in the thread below, reading the manual, factory resetting everything and watching various Youtube vids I still couldn't get them to connect to the detector. Now my headphones WOULD connect to my iPhone so it wasnt a problem with them.  In the end I tried to connect the WM08 wireless module to the detector, which worked so it wasn't a problem with the detectors bluetooth card. Now I was pulling my hair out! Anyway I tried connecting the headphones again after the success with the WM08 module and bugger me if they didn't connect within five seconds! I've confirm tested that they will connect automatically going forward so all is well. There doesn't seem to be any logic to that solution but it worked. So if anyone has an issue in the future and nothing else works, try connecting the WM08 module first then trying the headphones again. Well, guess I now have to go and redo all my detector settings. Cheers all. 

• Like 1

I actually prefer using the module. To me it has better sound quality than the Bluetooth in the headphones.

11 hours ago, Matelot said:

In the end I tried to connect the WM08 wireless module to the detector, which worked so it wasn't a problem with the detectors bluetooth card. Now I was pulling my hair out! Anyway I tried connecting the headphones again after the success with the WM08 module and bugger me if they didn't connect within five seconds!

Glad you got your headphones to work with your detector.  Just to avoid confusion, I'll point out (before Chase does 😁) that the WM08 doesn't use the Bluetooth channel.  It's a propietary transmitter/receiver configuration (and quite a bit faster than even the fast low-latency Bluetooth).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Glad you got your headphones to work with your detector.  Just to avoid confusion, I'll point out (before Chase does 😁) that the WM08 doesn't use the Bluetooth channel.  It's a propietary transmitter/receiver configuration (and quite a bit faster than even the fast low-latency Bluetooth).

Does that mean that the Bluetooth transmitter on the detector does not need to be turned on while using the module?  If so, good to know.

Not sure what you mean, which may be just my ignorance.  I follow the linkup instructions and let the detector decide what needs to be on or off.  I think it remembers whatever transmitter channel you're using until you decide to change.  After doing an initialization linkup one time, from then on when I turn on the detector and turn on the WM08 it's ready to go every time.  I've only used the MI-80 headphones a few times but if I recall, the Eqx is only capable of one or the other and if you switch between devices (WM08 or Bluetooth) you have to go through the initialization/linkup procedure for the one that isn't currently active.  (If you do a factory reset you also start from scratch.)

The WM08 is wifi so you don't need it on for the ML80 headphones. The wifi will eat up the battery faster than the bluetooth setting.

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Not sure what you mean, which may be just my ignorance.  I follow the linkup instructions and let the detector decide what needs to be on or off. I think it remembers whatever transmitter channel you're using until you decide to change.  After doing an initialization linkup one time, from then on when I turn on the detector and turn on the WM08 it's ready to go every time.  I've only used the MI-80 headphones a few times but if I recall, the Eqx is only capable of one or the other and if you switch between devices (WM08 or Bluetooth) you have to go through the initialization/linkup procedure for the one that isn't currently active.  (If you do a factory reset you also start from scratch.)

I was asking if Bluetooth needs to be turned on (top button/left side of control pod) in order to use the module. Since the module runs on wifi, I'm guessing it probably doesn't. Thanks to Valens for explaining that.

I didn't know that you have to go through the initialization process again when going from the module back to Bluetooth headphones. That explains why I wasn't able to get my headphones to pair the other day.

58 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I was asking if Bluetooth needs to be turned on (top button/left side of control pod) in order to use the module. Since the module runs on wifi, I'm guessing it probably doesn't. Thanks to Valens for explaining that.

Yes, that button needs to be depressed as it turns on the Minelab Wi-Stream radio that transmits to the WM08 first and searches for a WM08, if it finds none after 30 seconds, it turns off the Wi-Stream radio and switches on the Bluetooth radio and searches for BT headphones waiting to pair.  If you have a set of BT headphones already paired (or one or more WM08 modules paired), you can shut off the detector without turning off the wireless radio first and the Equinox should automatically connect to the last paired set of headphones or WM08 module(s) if they are powered on without having to go through the pairing process again when you turn on the Equinox the next time out.

• Like 1

I've had trouble like that when my phone has been close. I had to turn the Bluetooth off on my phone, pair the headphones, and then turn the Bluetooth back on , on the phone. I think the headphones try to stay connected to the phone and won't pair to the detector.  

• The title was changed to Equinox 800 Not Pairing Ml80 Headphones Strange Solution