2020 Ain't So Bad After All - Well At Least For Today

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

Fantastic hunting on your part! Beautiful collection of items to add to your finds.

Just one question for you , does the coin stink like the one I found?

Great hunt and best wishes on your next outing!

Thanks.  I honestly do not know the answer to your question.  But to paraphrase Robert Duvall's character in the movie Apocalypse Now, I would imagine that it "smells like victory."  Of course, he was talking about napalm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome to the  gold coin club.Those small ones would be tough to find. I hear Tom from California welcomes all new members to the club with a  Prime rib dinner. I still remember when  I found my 2 in 2003 which were in the same hole and  that is as good as it gets for detecting. You now have gold coin honors on this  forum since you are the last person to find one.Steve your next!

• Thanks 1

Chase,

Way to pull it out for 2020! I hope you find it's friends nearby! And the rest of your finds were icing on the cake!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats !  Enjoy the buzz that comes with finding a gold coin . Now you have broken the seal you may find more .

• Thanks 1

Congrats Chase for the gold coin , happy to see that your Deus is doing a (very) good job ... I am not surprised btw the Deus/Orx are outstanding machines . I started to use XP with a Goldmaxx in 2007 , and I am still a fan of XP 13 years later ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way to go!!! 1 dollar gold is very tiny. I wonder how many are just beyond the range of our machines??? In that area I would use a pulse machine after you are done hunting with the I/B machines. Most gold will respond with a tone opposite of large iron, but the same as small bits of iron. It would be worth a try. Great hunt finding that elusive gold coin👍

• Thanks 1

Hugh, that was a low key title for such a great find.  But now I see your ploy -- post is analagous to your experience:  non-descript signal leads to monumental discovery!

Do you think it was dropped at the same time as the other relics?  I assume this is a Civil War site.  Did soldiers actually carry gold coins?  (Apparently some did.)

Anyway, hope you bask in that aura (pun intended) for the rest of this otherwise trying year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

My handheld pinpointer indicated it was not deep, and I used my digger to come at it from a safe angle, just in case, and low and behold, out popped my first ever gold coin find - 1849 Open Wreath $1 Gold Piece.  It was surreal. 

Congratulations Hugh on a well earned and very skillful find! I suspect most coils that pass over a $1 gold coin and just keep going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hugh, that was a low key title for such a great find.  But now I see your ploy -- post is analagous to your experience:  non-descript signal leads to monumental discovery!

Do you think it was dropped at the same time as the other relics?  I assume this is a Civil War site.  Did soldiers actually carry gold coins?  (Apparently some did.)

Anyway, hope you bask in that aura (pun intended) for the rest of this otherwise trying year.

I think they would use those coins to pay the soldiers a lot of times.

• Like 1