2020 Ain't So Bad After All - Well At Least For Today

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hugh, that was a low key title for such a great find.  But now I see your ploy -- post is analagous to your experience:  non-descript signal leads to monumental discovery!

Do you think it was dropped at the same time as the other relics?  I assume this is a Civil War site.  Did soldiers actually carry gold coins?  (Apparently some did.)

Anyway, hope you bask in that aura (pun intended) for the rest of this otherwise trying year.

Hard to say what is going on at this site.  It is a mix of Colonial, CW, Victorian, and early 20th century.  Spanish and Mexican Republic Reales, Capped Bust Silver, Seated Silver, Largies, IHPs, Trimes, Shield, V, and Buffalo Nickels and Gold coins have all been found here along with both Union and Confederate CW relics (plates, minie balls, buckles, buttons and other brass items).  It seems to be a multipurpose site through the years - Colonial home site and picket/lookout area during the Civil War, as well as a couple cache's of relatively modern early 20th century silver coins.  The person who has the permission suspects the coins were used for gambling purposes, but like I said, hard to say because the context is missing due to the crop farming.  All I know is every time the farmer turns the soil, new stuff pops up.

• Like 4

Welcome to the club Chase!!!, It sure is a wonderful coin and in great shape. I hope you can dig a few more goodies before the year ends. Great job!!!

• Thanks 1

Chase ... Congratulations on your nice finds .... and $ 1 gold is a really nice bonus for your day of detection and time spent ... effort ..👍
And such an important finding strongly supplies a lot of positive energy for the next days of detection.

I also agree with what you wrote ... that the use of a detector / Deus / which you know very well and know what my capabilities are and in good settings ... really contributes to good detection results ... and here it was confirmed ...

I wish you many more successful detection days ...:wink:

• Thanks 1

Nice work...I keep digging the 22 bullets and casings thinking one day it might be a one dollar gold coin...so I'll keep at it...congratulations on a memorable find!

strick

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Is this your first gold coin ?  If so, welcome to the gold coin club. You are now officially a stud muffin !  🤣

Yup.  Thanks Tom, though my wife thought I was OK even before I found it.  :laugh:  She was very insightful and pragmatic about it: “So basically that coin is valued at about half the cost of the detector you used to find it right?” I said, “Yeah”, enthusiastically. She said, “So why aren’t you still out there looking for the other one?”  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Could be much worse; she could have said: "That's not how much you told me it cost for that d**n detector thingy"!!

Detectors are like fishing poles; after 3 or 4, they don't notice how many you have! (Most of the time)! Besides, they've been doing this with shoes for decades! 😂👍👍

• Like 2