Has Anyone Seen A Rock Like This One Before?

I found this rock years ago and had to hold on to it until I knew more about it. At first sight, I thought this rock was a turtle shell stuck in dried mud. Has crystallized breads on it and they can't be scratched with a utility knife. Vary heavy, the size of a vollyball. Not magnetic. Just wondering if anyone has seen or knows of rocks like this one?  

20201120_122715.jpg

20201120_122533.jpg

20201120_122914.jpg

20201120_122904.jpg

20201120_122753.jpg

Looks like it has a lot of quartz in it, so I would guess that is what it is.

You might want to check it for some gold inside it.

But what do I know as I am new to this also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Roberts said:

I found this rock years ago and had to hold on to it until I knew more about it

Looks like Volcanic Tuff to me. Take a look at the table below and the YouTube clip. This is the best overview of igneous rocks out there.

image.thumb.png.d1bc3e4214f7209f85b8d1752301c917.pngimage.thumb.png.d1bc3e4214f7209f85b8d1752301c917.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

definitely an eroded light colored intrusive igneous rock with lots of quartz and feldspar and with phaneritic texture from the chart above. Since the green material is only visible on the half that was exposed, the green stuff could be organic or it could be feldspar weathering to epidote. If the green material covered the entire rock it could be original epidote or peridotite/peridot/olivine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

definitely an eroded light colored intrusive igneous rock with lots of quartz and feldspar and with phaneritic texture from the chart above. Since the green material is only visible on the half that was exposed, the green stuff could be organic or it could be feldspar weathering to epidote. If the green material covered the entire rock it could be original epidote or peridotite/peridot/olivine.

I vote on the green being algal growth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your thoughts and interst.

I agree that the green is organic. This rock was not green when I first found it. It has been sitting in a garden for the last 10 years. Crystals facing down. 

I am a novist rock hunter as I always look at rocks in my daily adventures. On this day years ago I was on my way to pick raspberries when...

I found this rock in a wooded edge of property.  just off the trail, I see a small roundered area with no vegetation growing in it, about a 4ft. around area diveted in words. It looked like a rock was dropped from the sky.  Right there in the center was what looked like a old turtle shell mostly buried in the mud. So I dug it up to investigate it more. it was this rock.

So far my research leads me to belive that this rock ether could be a local earth stone or it could be a rare stony meterite. Both seam to be possible with my nawlage. The crystals look like melt points to me.

so I am working on a density test as soon as I go figure out how lol. 1.5 times heaver if from space Then if from earth.  If so then I think I'll have to send away for lab testing.  

So what do you all think? Am I just waisting my time with this rock or do you think its possible to be a rare space rock.

Not a space rock for sure, but it is quite beautiful

Should you have a metal detector I would run it over it to see if it has metal in it.

Then I would break it in half to show what is inside.

Guys, just thought to share these excellent brief rock tutorials. 

The Rock cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2BKjELzhfU

Igneous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjyF-te4lQI&t=170s

Metamorphic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUydPhIaQQU&t=435s

Sedimentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3eR19ZfBqE&t=471s

• Like 1