Minelab Equinox 600 Metal Detector

Annie

Hi, I am new to this site and looking at purchasing a metal detector for my husband for Christmas.  He has always wanted one and really likes the Minelab (not sure why), I was looking a at the 600, though reading about the 800 it has extra features. 

As this is his first, and I know he will use it.  Which one would everyone recommend and as a beginner would these be suitable?

Thanks so much!

Annie

THANKYOU so much to everyone, I have read all the comments and must say this is an amazing group and so helpful. I defiantly think I will be getting him the 800 and letting him know to join his group! Thanks, Annie

• Like 3

The equinox 600 would be excellent assuming gold prospecting isn’t the primary goal. It comes with Bluetooth capability but only wired phones which could prove annoying to someone just getting started. Many dealers are offering a holiday package for the 600 which includes the Bluetooth headphones. It’s a great deal. 

• Like 2

I question whether or not the Minelab Equinox is a good first detector.  Yes, it has canned settings so it doesn't need a lot of adjustments to be able to find metal.  However, the 11" stock coil isn't as forgiving as small coils and we've seen plenty of people here (some even experienced with other detectors) question everything under the sun (bad settings, unit is a lemon,...) with this detector.  I had been detecting for 3 years with multiple detectors before getting an 800 and it took me a long time to get comfortable with it.  (I hardly go out without it now.)

One of the things that's a must with any detector is reading and understanding the manual.  The ML Eqx manual is the best I've ever seen, but that's because it covers about everything.  I think back 5 years when I was getting back into detecting (after 35 year layoff) and recall all the terminology I was unfamiliar with.  A simple to operate detector with a simple manual can be a helpful starting point.

There are many good detectors out there for less experienced users.  But you said your husband has an eye for Minelab so I suggest the Vanquish line.  It has the same inner workings as the Equinox but has fewer things to be concerned with and the lower end models come with a medium sized coil.  (You can get the top end model with two coils, one large and one small.)

minelab-vanquish-specifications-chart.jpg.e7eba9087dc448eca5a884f253238b32.thumb.jpg.0f0ebd4acdfbe738d982c23fcc246556.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is that detecting is more than just the main detector.  For most detecting you pretty much need a hand-held pinpointer ($100-$150), a good digging tool (~$40), a finds pouch (can be as simple as a nail apron, but there are advantages to multi pockets -- better ones are another ~$35).  I can make a list 2-3 times this long of accessories I have.  So getting a moderately priced detector and including a $200 gift card (or just cash) for the accessories makes a lot of sense to me.

Finally, if he likes the Vanquish he can later step up to an Equinox and have the Vanquish as a backup (or even encourage you to get into the hobby and go detecting with him, swinging the Vanquish).

Here's a link to Gerry McMullen's outlet site.  (click here)  He's not only a good guy with over 20 years experience helping others find the right detector, but he's patient and knows how to put himself in the shoes of the less experienced customer.  Also he has integrity so you don't have to be concerned about him steering you towards something you don't need that makes him more money.  In some ways he's old-fashioned -- likes to communicate face-to-face or over the phone.  (Oh, and does he like to talk!)  He may or may not agree with my recommendation but he sells both Vanquish and Equinox (and many others, Minelab and other manufacturers) so whatever direction you end up going he will be quite helpful.

• Like 6

If he really likes the Minelab Equinox, he has made a good choice. They are outstanding detectors and if taken care of will last a long time and hold their value. Choosing between the 600 and 800......... I would get the 800 just because it comes with so many extra features and both wireless option accessories. If you are buying from a US dealer like Gerrys Detectors, they will steer you in the right direction too. Just ask plenty of questions.

I often get to help new detector users and people switching from beginner and intermediate level detectors to an Equinox model when they join our metal detecting/treasure hunting club. The people who have never used a detector before or used very simple detectors like beep and digs with no screen and with only a few controls are usually easy to teach and do very well on the Equinox. Those that have had a longer time detecting on Garrett Ace series or AT series detectors for instance, that they have gotten used too and people who really think they know what they are doing but in reality don't....... seem to have the hardest time. The Equinox, like phrunt and GB has said can quickly pose the user a serious question which is "do I really want to learn how to metal detect or not" because even in its simplest Park 1 default settings, a new user will hear and have to deal with targets that would probably be poorly detected or just undetected by most single frequency beginner to intermediate level detectors. So, just the amount of detectable targets can overwhelm someone that has some previous experience whereas someone who has no expectations or previous experience will not know the difference.

For a brand new detector user that is willing to put in the work and be patient, the Equinox 600, Equinox 800 or a Vanquish 540 would satisfy most of their detecting needs for a long time. The Equinox as opposed to the Vanquish, is much more versatile, more adjustable feature wise and can be used just about anywhere in any weather conditions. The Vanquish 540 has less features and has some limitations when it comes to weather and soil/underwater conditions. If money is not an issue and your husband appears to be super pumped up about detecting, I would get the Equinox 800. If you think he just wants to get an idea about whether he likes detecting or not and money may be an issue, the Vanquish 540 might be a better idea. Most people do not realize how strenuous recovering 50 to 100 targets in a detecting session can be. I'm 65, pretty fit and detect just about every day for at least 2 hours. I do 100 or more forward lunges to get down on one knee and back up during those sessions since many of the places I hunt have shovel use restrictions. The same can happen at the beach too whether using a hand beach scoop or scoop shovel. So, swinging the detector is the easy part. Learning what it is saying and recovering targets is much more involved.

• Like 4

Like Phrunt said, the Equinox is not really that hard to use.  When I first got my 800, I took it out put it in Park 1 did a noise cancel and started finding stuff.  And I learned more as I went along.  It can be as simple as you want it to be.  The wireless headphones and wireless module alone are worth the price difference between the 800 and the 600.

• Like 4

Were I in your shoes, I would get him the Equinox 800.  It's as simple as you want it to be right out of the box and he can grow into it as he gains confidence and knowledge of its capabilities.  He can then tweak it to enhance/realize its potential.

It's a great machine for either beginner or advanced detectorist.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm not sure what GB means about the 11" coil and it not being forgiving unless he's meaning the size of the coil means more junk targets under the coil at the same time as good targets in a dense trash area with it being a bit larger of a coil, but if that's the case pack up and move on to an easier spot when you're learning, go back there once you've got the hang of it 🙂

Yes, larger coils pick up more targets per swing, and are more likely to have both good (desired) and bad (trashy) targets in the field-of-view at the same time.

As far as finding low trash sites, that's quite a tradeoff.  I can hunt my back yard which wasn't used much (the only owners before us never had kids and AFAIK spent their time indoors) so my yard is pretty quiet.  But if I go to a park or school (which is where the goodies have the best chance of being as far as accessible public sites) there is iron and aluminum trash aplenty.  Are there quiet parts of these sites?  Sometimes, but those are both trash quiet and good finds quiet.  People didn't segregate the areas they threw trash and the areas they dropped coins and jewelry.  Lost items occur where people spent their time, and a big part of that time was spent eating and drinking (with associated screw tops, poptops, aluminum foil,....)  The really old sites around me previously had buildings which were razed but their nails were strewn everywhere -- thus the origin of the iron trash.

It appears I'm in the minority on my suggestion of getting a simpler detector to start out.  I'm just basing it on my experiences but maybe mine are the exceptions.  Jeff's comments about newbies being less confused with a feature-packed new detector than many experienced users is quite interesting (and paradoxical).

• Like 2

Both the 600 and the 800 has a learning curve that takes time to fully understand, but once you learn the unit it will be one of the finest detectors that money can buy.

I was given my grandfathers 800 a few months ago and am learning how to use it even today.

With that said I can assure you that it is well worth the money he spent on it, and from what i have already found with it it has paid for itself several times.

Good luck on your decision!

• Like 1