Minelab Equinox 600 Metal Detector

Annie

From a semi-noob perspective, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've had an old cheap detector for years and from time to time, I'd take out to the mountains and swing it around mostly finding nails and a few old bits of iron until I took it on vacation to Florida last year and found my first old silver ring. I was hooked. I spent the better part of a year researching everything I could about metal detectors, brands, models, features, etc., comparing everything I could learn about them and decided I wanted a detector that would give me the best probability of finding good targets in any conditions and environments with a price I could manage. The field quickly narrowed for me to the Equinox Series detectors. I decided on the 800 because I wanted the gold prospecting capabilities and more advanced user editing features as I grew in experience.

I got the 800 for my birthday last April and haven't regretted my choice. It seemed a little daunting at first, but I was comforted by the fact, that I could just use the factory presets while going through the learning curve and was able to make good finds from the first time out with it. I still use many of the presets with success. The 800 has actually made me want to learn more about detectors and detecting, and with the almost unlimited information, tutorials, books, forums, and friendly users to help at every turn, I have rapidly grown as a detectorist and an Equinox user. I cannot recommend 800 highly enough. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It appears I'm in the minority on my suggestion of getting a simpler detector to start out.  I'm just basing it on my experiences but maybe mine are the exceptions.  Jeff's comments about newbies being less confused with a feature-packed new detector than many experienced users is quite interesting (and paradoxical).

As many have said here, the Equinox can be used simply or it can be highly adjustable and confusing too. If a newbie detector person gets their hands on a 600 or 800 and is very patient and diligent, they usually do very well as long as they put in the hours and don't stray from the factory presets like Park 1 and Beach 1. Some "experienced" users that I have tried to help insist on jumping into all of the settings including doing wild and crazy things with single frequencies that just confuse them and leave me scratching my head after repeatedly recommending that they leave their Equinox in multi unless they are in a high EMI situation or want to momentarily investigate a particular target further.

I was at a hunt recently where an experienced detector user of the Garrett AT Pro that I have tried to help, decided he would use 4 kHz on his Nox 800 for the entire hunt. He had the sensitivity cranked up and was hunting in moderate mineralization. Needless to say he did not find much and his hot running 4kHz detector was interfering with everybody's detectors, especially the poor XP Deus users if he got within 15 feet of them. I have experienced others making the same mistake insisting on using other single frequencies for long hunts and coming away complaining about crazy VDIs and poor results, compared to their experiences with selectable single frequency detectors from two other very famous companies. I also hear Garrett Ace and AT Pro users constantly complain about the Equinox hitting too many targets, the weird tones on the Equinox along with the compressed target ID scale. Did they not do some research before hand?

So, for those that have experience detecting with beep and dig detectors and earlier Whites like the XLT, DFX, MXT or the Minelab X Terra Series, the transition is pretty good. I hear plenty of complaints from Garrett, F75, T2, Deus and even Minelab Explorer, Safari, Etrac and CTX 3030 long-time users. Many seem to have more trouble adjusting to the Equinox way of doing things. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just another option is the 600 special with  wireless phones plus a 6” coil which together costs just under the base 800. 
   The 6” coil is great for target rich and trashy areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd go for the 800.  It gives you room to grow as you learn its capabilities yet, as many have already said, it can be a “take it out of the box and go” machine.  The wireless headphones are a blessing and worth the extra bucks in my opinion (coming from a machine with wired headphones).

Still, any detector is only as good as the person using it.  To get proficient with any detector, you need to put in the time with it.  Learn to really listen to the sounds and what the machine is telling you.  Learn good swinging technique.  And learn patience, go slow and low.

Just my 2 cents. But I suggested the Equinox 800 to a friend that had never owned a metal detector before. He bought it at the beginning of the summer and I have been out with him a few times. He is really struggling with the unit even in the preset modes. I go over a target and have him listen and he still struggles to understand the tones and ID. Not sure the Equinox 800 is a good choice for someone who has never owned a metal detector before. The Vanquish IMO would be a better first detector, the tones and ID are more straight forward. Nokta Makro Simplex would be another good one.

IMHO and from a far less experienced perspective, the NOX would be good for a beginner IF you keep the SENS (sensitivity) low. I spent a year chasing micro signals. Finally realized and learned to trust that a coin shape object does not need high noisy SENS. Other issues, try to search where you a have a better chance of finding something. If you go with 600 you can pick up headphones like the PAAW which work great for me an some hearing loss. They isolate better and are noise canceling. Others mentioned digging tool and pouch but the pouch can be added at a birthday :)  Then, when ready, the NOX can be as complex as you want/need.  Lastly, from what I read, if you don't plan to hunt gold nuggets the 600 may be an option but those experienced can chime in. I hunt the beach and never use the gold setting on my 800. You can buy the 600 and the difference in price will buy a digger, pouch and wireless phones. Just my 2 cents. Regards all.

• Thanks 1

I will say that not everyone likes metal detecting. They may think they do, but when they go out and expect buckets of gold and come back with pull tabs instead they lose the desire. Please understand that the pickin's are sometimes slim. I'd hate to see you spend $800+ for an Equinox 800 or near $750 out the door for an Equinox 600 and then your husband loses interest because he didn't hit gold rings and silver coins his first 5 times out.

I think it would be best to go with the Vanquish series to start with. In many cases the Vanquish is even better in Target ID than the Equinox if my reading is correct. I would not buy anything less than the Vanquish 440. The wireless headphones with the Equinox 800 are to me not that great. For me, it is better with the WM08 module and wired grey ghost headphones. A lot more sharp tones in my rattle head. The wireless included phones are muddy in my  ears.

Please be aware that if your man does enjoy metal detecting you will create a monster, as he will forever be thinking that the more expensive detectors will net him more finds. NOT SO. It is all about LOCATION and skill of the nut on the handle. We all suck at first and on some days even years later we still suck! It is nice you are willing to enter into the fray of metal detecting.

Best of wishes to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abenson said:

Just my 2 cents. But I suggested the Equinox 800 to a friend that had never owned a metal detector before. He bought it at the beginning of the summer and I have been out with him a few times. He is really struggling with the unit even in the preset modes. I go over a target and have him listen and he still struggles to understand the tones and ID. Not sure the Equinox 800 is a good choice for someone who has never owned a metal detector before. The Vanquish IMO would be a better first detector, the tones and ID are more straight forward. Nokta Makro Simplex would be another good one.

Why not just put it two tones and not multi? That would solve everything.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, ColonelDan said:

Were I in your shoes, I would get him the Equinox 800.  It's as simple as you want it to be right out of the box and he can grow into it as he gains confidence and knowledge of its capabilities.  He can then tweak it to enhance/realize its potential.

It's a great machine for either beginner or advanced detectorist.

I own a 600. It came with standard wire headphones. I want to update to wireless. The standard headphones fall apart(cup where wire extrudes from plastic holder). In a strong onshore wind or sea conditions, it lets in a lot of background noise. Can you suggest what headphones(wireless) can I investigate? I hear there is more to this than I expected, as I read a few stories here. All those alpha/number settings don't help me as I am a NEWBIE to detecting. Yeah, I should have gotten the 800, but no one was around to answer questions. '

'Nuff of my railing/raiting.

ANY help as to what one to get(and why) will surly help. 

47 minutes ago, joseph bielawski said:

I own a 600. It came with standard wire headphones. I want to update to wireless. The standard headphones fall apart(cup where wire extrudes from plastic holder). In a strong onshore wind or sea conditions, it lets in a lot of background noise. Can you suggest what headphones(wireless) can I investigate? I hear there is more to this than I expected, as I read a few stories here. All those alpha/number settings don't help me as I am a NEWBIE to detecting. Yeah, I should have gotten the 800, but no one was around to answer questions. '

'Nuff of my railing/raiting.

ANY help as to what one to get(and why) will surly help. 

Hey Joseph, here's a great thread with just the info you need:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11653-suggestions-for-aftermarket-wireless-aptx-headphones/?tab=comments#comment-114053

HTH