DD Searchcoil History?

I was thinking the other day about some of the best metal detectors of the analog age and early digital age.  My memory shows concentric searchcoils, the Fisher CZ series being an example.

What is the earliest commercial detector that had the commercial option of a DD coil?  (As opposed to prototypes, experiements, garage builds, etc., although if you know of any of those it would also be interesting to read about.)  Were there analog detectors (and if so, which ones) that worked with DD coils or did those not come around until digital circuitry took over?

Yes I don`t know when the first DD coil appeared on a detector but the 15000, which was the first Minelab, I believe had one. I recall taking a 15000 owner to a spot the Garret A2B with a Dtex concentric had scored many nuggets around the base of large rocks in a raised old streambed, the 15000 scored many more because the front of the DD had depth over the concentrics, The concentrics had more depth in the centre but that first example of the DDs wedge type coil field showed a strength of the DDs along with their ability to handle mineralized soils better. The 15000 came onto the scene in around the mid 80s.

• Like 1

I thought the Garretts 1979 model Deepseeker ADS 7.5" coil was a DD coil that was used to pinpoint our targets. Found this link from 1982 but they don't mention DD coils. Good read for how it was back then with the advertising.😀       

...........LINK 1982...........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

I thought the Garretts 1979 model Deepseeker ADS 7.5" coil was a DD coil that was used to pinpoint our targets. Found this link from 1982 but they don't mention DD coils. Good read for how it was back then with the advertising.😀       

...........LINK 1982...........

You and I think alike, Geof.  Before my initial post I looked in Charles Garrett's 1985 The Advanced Handbook on Modern Metal Detectors and there is an entire chapter there on searchcoils, but I could only find mono (for BFO's and PI's), coplanar, and coaxial.

The Minelab GT 16000 introduced in 1987 used DD coils. I know this model is later on but I know it was DD.

My own personal detector, 1st DD (that I recall) was the Minelab Sovereign and the Soc series is still desired by a few.

• Like 1