Minelab GPX 4800 Vs GPX 5000

The MInelab GPX 4800 was released at the same time as the GPX 5000. The Minelab 4800 was intended as the next release after the GPX 4500, but before it was released Minelab came up with a couple new refinements different enough to warrant yet another model, the GPX 5000. The 4800 therefore became a sort of "non-model" as most dealers and users focused on the GPX 5000 as the new top-of-the line detector. Most dealers do not stock the GPX 4800 and it may as well not exist for all the attention it gets.

The fact though is that a GPX 4800 is basically a GPX 5000 less a couple timings. Details can be found in the GPX 4800 / GPX 5000 Brochure (excerpt of spec sheet at end of this post) but what it boils down to is the GPX 4800 lacks the Fine Gold and Salt Gold timings.

Salt Gold is an improvement of the Salt Timing found on previous models that works better on salt flats and salt water beaches. Fine Gold is a bit misunderstood. Sensitive Extra is the best setting for pulling small gold out of most ground in the US. Fine Gold is intended for extremely mineralized ground. There are a lot of people who have decided Fine Gold is the magic setting but it really should not be used in milder ground where more powerful timings will do the job better.

It really all boils down to the Fine Gold timing, and most people just went ahead and ponied up for the GPX 5000 for the extra $800.

Steve's Guide to Differences Between the Minelab SD, GP, & GPX Detectors

post-1-0-62827100-1393953710_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-25471700-1394303948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Steve,  I have a GPX 4500 and looking at the timing charts I don't see where a GPX 4800 has a advantage over what I already have?   Is there a advantage and if so in what way?  This lower price on the 4800 is sure to lower the cost and trade in value of the used 4500s.   Thanks for any light you shed on this subject........IdahoAl

I will ask JP to chime in but not much to recommend replacing a GPX 4500 with a 4800 in my opinion. There is the new Coin/Relic Timing and an improved Enhance Timing, plus improved electronics for increased target sensitivity and ground balance performance. The Coin/Relic is of no use to most people so it boils down to better? electronics.

The Sensitive Smooth mode exists in the 4500, was removed in the 4800, and put back in the 5000. Audio type Boost exists in the 4500, was removed in the 4800, and put back in the 5000. It appears to me part of Minelabs plan was to widen the gap between the 4800 and 5000 by removing some 4500 features from the 4800.

I can't honestly tell you I think selling a 4500 to get a 4800 would get you much other than a new warranty.

The GPX 4800 is basically the same electronic platform as the GPX 5000 just with some features removed. By using the 4800 over the 4500 you would be able to take advantage of the smoother threshold, improved Enhance timings and improved Ground Balance. These are the main differences which you may or may-not be able to justify, in the end it will come down to your personal preference and level of experience. I personally could easily justify the change over (assuming there was no GPX 5000) as the improvements mentioned would give me an advantage even though it is not huge. 

Enhance is just about as sensitive as Fine Gold when a small coil such as the Commander 8" Mono or Nugget Finder Sadie coil is used in shallow ground, in fact in some cases it's actually better because there can be less ground noise (along with EMI) which is quite often closely associated with the highly mineralised shallow sections of gold bearing areas.

JP

• Like 1

Thank you for that JP!

The earlier the model the easier the decision gets. I upgraded at every new model, and for me the big difference was in going from SD to GP, and then from GP to GPX. But some steps along the way were incremental and harder to justify unless you are out prospecting a lot and finding substantial quantities of gold. If that is the case, any edge, no matter how small, is generally worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2014 at 6:22 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The fact though is that a GPX 4800 is basically a GPX 5000 less a couple timings. Details can be found in the GPX 4800 / GPX 5000 Brochure (excerpt of spec sheet at end of this post) but what it boils down to is the GPX 4800 lacks the Fine Gold and Salt Gold timings.

Salt Gold is an improvement of the Salt Timing found on previous models that works better on salt flats and salt water beaches. Fine Gold is a bit misunderstood. Sensitive Extra is the best setting for pulling small gold out of most ground in the US. Fine Gold is intended for extremely mineralized ground.

Hi Guys.

The soil in Tanzania will look like in the picture here. So i guess it will be highly mineralized ground.

What do you think - is a GPX 4800 a good option for searching there. Soon i will have the option to buy one like new. The guy just used it one time, even the second coil was nevere used.

Also is it not a big disadvantage to have no custom setting like the GPX5000?

What you can recommend me?

Any Ideas?

Thx for answers.

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.abac41028464ab0625687da8a03fbb17.JPG

I use a GPX 4800 in Virginia, and it handles the mineralized soil here well.  A buddy of mine who uses the GPX5000 went into the fine gold settings and gave me what the settings in each value was for fine gold, so that i could go into the settings on the GPX 4800 and get a close approximation of the fine gold setting.   

Id snap it up if its a good price.  Thats what i did.  

Thank you very much for your answers.

What do you think can be a good price for a Gpx 4800 , really like New with mono and doubld coil. 

Would be 2000 Euro OK? 

Iam still waiting for an answer from the seller i think he went in holiday that's why I ask. 

@PG-Prospecting : can i get back to you if the time comes that i hold the detector in my hands?

I picked up my 4800 about 2 years ago for $2300 but it came with a 15x12 mono, 17x11 AI coil, 17x21 DD, and 8X12 DD.  

$2000 euro is probably close but to me seems a little high, but you may be able to get the price lower.