Yet Another Gold Basin Murder

jasong

On 11/26/2020 at 8:22 AM, Hard Prospector said:

Whenever I go into the desert & woods to fish or prospect,  my Ruger is just as important as hiking boots and snake chaps.

SPP 101 , 5shot , ..on the right hip..don't even know it's there. But it's there when you need it

• Like 3

I tent camped at Meadview RV Park on the week of Nov. 16th. the weather was great, day and night. Didn't make it over to Gold Basen dew to a faulty fuel pump on my side by side. Managed to detect around Lost Basen for the week, not sure when all of this happened but glad I did not end up over there, which was part of my original plan. Did find 2 little nuggets, one .9 gram, one 1.2 gram. Hate that one of my camping/gold detecting places are now off-limits to me. Hope that the law wins the day sometime soon. Be safe out there. 

• Like 2

Those guys knew each other so there is more to this than the police are going to release.  If it wasn't a 6 hour drive I would be up there more often.  I know plenty of people that camp up there for weeks and never had an issue. 

• Like 2

I have camped their many times, like the area but have not had great success gold wise. Met some good folks, but the recent revelation of crime and murder will keep me from going their until I hear of the area is as safe as it use to be many years ago. Thanks to all for updates, and please keep them coming so I can eventually go back there.   

I think I've pieced together what happened and why after talking to others who were camped there. Probably should wait until the sheriff finishes his investigation and releases their own report though. At this point, it sounds like it might be an (extreme) case of taking the law into one's own hands, from what people are telling me.

The sheriff really needs to start patrolling the area. Those who still want to prospect there might want to consider calling the sheriff and requesting patrols too. I've tried after the burglary at my place and they refused, but if more people start to ask then maybe they will start.

As much as I prefer to hunt alone....that area sounds like it might be wise to definitely start using the (armed) Buddy System...????

• Like 1

More and more I prefer to prospect/dig in places WAY OFF the beaten path; pack on and hiking into steep and difficult to access placers. Farther  away from any road  the safer I feel.  Try to get dropped off when ever possible. From my experience "dirt bags seem to prefer dirt roads" to conduct crime and won't  wonder off far on foot.

• Like 3