Old Pewter Cross

Snuck out for couple hours looking for some old coins and got this leaded pewter cross, not sure the date but don't see a parting line so guessing it is turn of the century, maybe older just not sure. Jump ring seems to be silver.

old cross.jpg

62802858239__A501377B-B79A-418F-BCC7-B4134DC3494F.JPG

62802857035__C9C0FC80-5E6E-4E26-AC11-8D2300951935.JPG

• Like 9

Well bugged me enough I hooked up my new toy digital microscope to the pc. Looks like it is modern junk probably spin cast in the 60's-70's by the parting line on  the edge. Also note the jump ring was plated.

So my guess someone made a clay cross and did a nice design and has a nice style to it, then busted out a rubber mold and spun bunches of them.

Oh well, back to looking for old coins....

j ring.jpg

edge.jpg

• Like 4

If you don't want the cross I'll take it :).

• Like 1

Well Kac,

Researching a find is half the fun! Still a nice and interesting find!

Congrats on 2k likes!!👍👍

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the find and your 2,000 likes, only a good detectorist could ever do it.

Grandfather had a few of those crosses (similar) when he went to a lot of religious functions in the early 70's.

I showed the picture to grandmother and she recognized it as something from that time. They went to see a lot of evangelist's  in the late 60's and early 70's.

I knew that I had seen it before and I asked her about it.

Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2k likes? Makes me feel old hahah.

Glad there is enough others to read my dribble to get me there! Thanks!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

Did you find it using your CTX3030 while metal detecting in Smith's Cove?

The title of the thread reminded me of Gary Drayton.  He pronounces that alloy word a lot differently than I do (or have ever heard), and frankly his pronounciation is pretty gross with the mental images it creates.

On every treasure/gold TV show there's at least one person (usually more) who tires me out with either nonesense -- Drayton -- or obnoxiousness (nice word -- many better ones) -- Parker Schnabel, anyone? (I heard Parker belongs to assaholics anonymous, but so far it's not producing the desired effect.)

As far as the real topic, being able to recognize reproductions (or fakes) is an acquired skill.  Often the context is a big clue.  For example, I found a coin which looks like it came from Medieval Europe.  I found it in a USA schoolyard....  "Clang, clang, clang!" (warning bell sounding loud and clear)  There were other clues, too.

Good sleuthing, kac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1