Minelab Equinox 800 Drowned On The Beach ... Questions

Hello, I had a problem with my metal detector, I was using it in the water, after several months it does not turn on and shows the message "CD" on the screen and then you can see the water inside ..
the guarantee I change it for another without problems a fast process
  I have read, that water enters through the union of the handle to the pda (subjecting screws to the mast), according to what they say, this problem only happens to those made in Malaysia ... those made in Australia do not have that problem, the first series they come out perfect
does anyone know about this topic?
How do I know where my detector was manufactured?
I can attach photos of the box (where the manufacture comes) and compare with other users..thanks

my detector is equinox 800 February 2020

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

My box label also says Made in Malaysia. I'm really sorry your unit took on water. Your hardship with the water ingress along with others has reinforced my decision to never submerge the control unit of mine. It's a shame because the Equinox is a good detector all around. Sort of sad that the one thing it is so good at (in the water) it can't be trusted 100% not to break because of these seal problems.

Send it in for warranty!

25 minutes ago, RobNC said:

My box label also says Made in Malaysia. I'm really sorry your unit took on water. Your hardship with the water ingress along with others has reinforced my decision to never submerge the control unit of mine. It's a shame because the Equinox is a good detector all around. Sort of sad that the one thing it is so good at (in the water) it can't be trusted 100% not to break because of these seal problems.

Send it in for warranty!

If it's a shame, in your box it says something similar to mine, there is a small solution to the water filtration, I made a video but it is in Spanish, I only recommend doing it in products out of warranty.

2 hours ago, Canarias_detection said:

...This problem only happens to those made in Malaysia ... those made in Australia do not have that problem....

Aren't all Minelab Equinoxes (except maybe pre-production units) made in Malaysia?

56 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Aren't all Minelab Equinoxes (except maybe pre-production units) made in Malaysia?

Yes.  Just another false rumor that some of the final production units were not manufactured in Malaysia borne of the fact that ML refuses to explicitly acknowledge the issue and instead quietly replaces them under warranty leaving users to speculate widely as to the root cause.  At least ML are standing behind the product warranty.  But on the other hand, the silence on a problem that is obviously not just isolated to a few units (especially based on those individuals who have reported multiple failures) gradually erodes brand confidence and trust in my view and makes me wonder how this is going to be handled once the initial warranties start expiring early next year.

To the OP - contact the ML repair center for your region and get your unit repaired/replaced.  Speculation on what ML refuses to publicly acknowledge is just spinning wheels.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It is strange even newer built machines still have the same problem as early ones, surely they'd work out the cause and resolve it as every unit that leaks costs them money.

Probably a cost they are willing to bear because of the small percentage of users that submerge their units and the smaller percentage of those that will suffer failure.  Otherwise, official acknowlegment of a flaw and the resulting blanket product recall would force them to replace units that would never see a drop of water.  Again this is all speculation in the absence of any official ML response on the suspected issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes.  Just another false rumor that some of the final production units were not manufactured in Malaysia borne of the fact that ML refuses to explicitly acknowledge the issue and instead quietly replaces them under warranty leaving users to speculate widely as to the root cause.  At least ML are standing behind the product warranty.  But on the other hand, the silence on a problem that is obviously not just isolated to a few units (especially based on those individuals who have reported multiple failures) gradually erodes brand confidence and trust in my view and makes me wonder how this is going to be handled once the initial warranties start expiring early next year.

To the OP - contact the ML repair center for your region and get your unit repaired/replaced.  Speculation on what ML refuses to publicly acknowledge is just spinning wheels.

so all equinox are made in malaysia?
It is a pity that it is supposedly submersible but you do not know if it will survive ... we hope that in future models the fault is corrected ... the problem comes from the ctx 3030, I think I remember

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I believe as it's a preexisting well documented issue Minelab in Australia and NZ will be forced to replace flooded units outside of warranty to Au/NZ residents due to our consumer protection laws.

It is strange even newer built machines still have the same problem as early ones, surely they'd work out the cause and resolve it as every unit that leaks costs them money.

It is a big problem and not only in a few units, more come out every day ...
In Europe it works differently, there are 3 years of guarantee in total. 2 years of store and one of minelab

18 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Probably a cost they are willing to bear because of the small percentage of users that submerge their units and the smaller percentage of those that will suffer failure.  Otherwise, a blanket product recall would force them to replace units that would never see a drop of water.

Of course not everyone submerges it and less with fear .. that is the gain, some but others not .. when the warranty ends, you can make some small modifications

• Like 1