What Gold Detector Are You Most Thankful For? Me, The Mightly...

GPZ 7000 … no surprise there. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. This site is a haven of (relative) calm in these weird times, stay safe and healthy.

• Like 2

I would nominate both GPZ and SDC. Two very different machines but superb in their own ways. Shared gold medal in my view. Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Like 2

Ace 250 for me. Affordable enough for me to buy when I was just starting college, easy enough for me to learn to use that it got me into detecting quickly, and was so much fun that it made me start looking into other types of detecting like nugget shooting. Without it, I'd probably be ultra into bungee jumping or who knows what now instead.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

• Like 2

Garrett Groundhog (15 kHz VLF/TR), which sat unused in my closet for 35 years, every once in a while whispering "don't you remember why you bought me?  :sad:"  If you open responses to more than just detectors, I credit Long John Latham (and especially his illustrators and authors) for his dual publications True Treasure and Treasure World.  You've got to stimulate the brain first and they sure did that starting back in 1970 (the first issue I read was from then; they started publishing and distrubuting a couple years earlier).

• Thanks 1

2 machines standing out head and shoulders for me regarding finding gold,its in a different format as basically here in the UK nuggets are almost non existent,but we do have gold in coin and artefact format and these 2 stand out machine for me are my 'original' T2 that i have had since 2006/7 and the DFX one of the 1st batch that came here back in 2003.

Not sure exactly what the magic is with these 2 are but they have found me celtic hammered gold coins,and George 111 ful guineas an Viccy Sovereigns and also some small gold artefacts,i also have all the modern machines ie TDI Pro,Deus HF coils and Nox but non have come close to anything that the T2 and DFX has found,the ironic thing is that i stopped using these 2 special gold machines because i though the grass was greener on the other side so i bought the Deus and Nox but that has not happened.

So for the last 6 months have been using these 2 old classic again as everyday use and also noticed that my finds have once again increased again,we hope to come out of a lockdown after Dec2 and will be able to get out detecting again on my own permission again.

• Like 4

Garret A2B without a doubt for me. Mainly small gold sub grammers in my backyard, Bounty Hunter RB7, Whites 6000D, Garret Deepseekers were OK but the Groundhog/A2B with its high frequency 15Khz (for that time). It was the " prelude" for the Fisher Gold Bug 1 & 2 and the Whites GM 1 & 2. 

• Like 3

Hmmmm?  I guess the two I currently use for gold as I quit coin shooting...but still can't seem to part with my beloved coin shooter the Etrac.  Swung a Tesoro Golden Sabre for coins for 22yrs and I was very happy with it.  The old coins were starting to disappear after the 22yr run so I bought a Tesoro Tejon that had better depth.  The Tejon had good depth but no real info and I noticed real quick I was digging a lot of deep trash, I NEEDED INFO.  Sold the Tejon and bought the Etrac and trash/ treasure ratio did a total 180.  Good bye Tesoro and Hello MINELAB!!!!!  Got tired of old coins and last 3 seasons have been  dedicated to gold bits and nuggets.  29yrs now detecting and my guess is my 2 Minelabs I currently use for gold will probably be my last detectors?  I really don't like switching machines once I learn them....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you open responses to more than just detectors, I credit Long John Latham (and especially his illustrators and authors) for his dual publications True Treasure and Treasure World.  You've got to stimulate the brain first and they sure did that starting back in 1970 (the first issue I read was from then; they started publishing and distrubuting a couple years earlier).

Worth its own post and I'll start it, so please add.

Not that I have a chance to nugget hunt here in New England, but the GPX 5000 has been my favorite for many years now, because it seems timeless to me. I'm sure there are better machines out there (and in the future for sure) but it will always remain in my lineup, even if it takes second place sometimes.

• Like 1