Who do you know that has ever considered mining in Korea or a 'Korean Gold Rush' of a sort?  The thought had never occurred to me until I read this brief article and then did a bit of research to find more links.  I doubt there are any articles on nugget shooting in Korea.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2020/11/721_300053.html 

https://nanopdf.com/download/a-glimpse-of-life-at-the-gold-mines-royal-asiatic-society_pdf 

https://steemit.com/korea1960/@coped/gold-mining-in-south-korea-koryo-mines-part-1 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jim

You are welcome.

Maybe there is still some in the North.  I wonder the conditions.

Mitchel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Cascade Steven
      As a beginner, I am trying to understand the details of the concept of nugget patch size.  As I understand the concepts, a nugget field is defined as a general area that may contain gold.  And a nugget patch is a small area within a nugget field that actually contains a group of gold nuggets.  From what I have read so far, some patch hunters define a patch as any location that produces two or more nuggets within a distance of a few tens of yards.  Is this a reasonable definition of a patch?  This then implies that there is much barren space between the patches.  I have several questions specifically on nugget patch size: 1) what is the range of sizes of actual nugget patches; 2) does the size vary depending on location (valley/gulley/gulch vs. mountain or hill); 3) does the patch size vary depending on geography (desert vs. a temperate area such as Sierra Nevada or Cascades); 4) is there a patch size relation to the age of the geology, that is, older rocks generally have larger patches? Any help in learning what to expect in the field would be appreciated.
    • By beatup
      We took a day off from detecting and went out rockhounding for a day and came across these old workings , the old timers dug some deep cuts across the toes off some of the hills that ran down into the wash and found a couple small drift holes. the holes are about 10 foot deep with a couple small drift holes in each and the longest cut was around 50 to 60 yards long. there were dry washing holes  that were just as deep and some were over 12 foot wide, some serious digging going on out there .

• By tvanwho
      I was out at a creek in central Illinois where I had map dowsed for gold . We got a few specks of color but hours of hard work for not much yellow.
      Then I noticed blue clay lumps in the creek gravels , looked around for the source, and eyeballed the upstream creek bank wall. It was a VEIN of blue clay like 200 feet by 15 feet up the wall from the creek.  I tried to pan some out after working it for 10 minutes in my gold pan. No Gold. Other spots in Indiana that have blue clay, it is loaded with gold, altho the gold rich blue clay is usually under creek gravels, not in a vertical wall. On Treasurenet, they say blue clay gummed up sluices in Nevada was it? Somebody had it assayed and found it was rich in silver which also gives it the bluish color supposedly? Should I go back to the spot and get some samples to send in for mineral assays? How much clay per sample, ounces, pounds? Where is a good assayer for not too much green?
      Thanks,
      -Tom V, now in central Indiana gold country and retired early...out of the rat race finally
    • By LowTide
      In light of the recent release of the Minelab Equinox, and expected release of competitive products I've noticed various posts across the Internet of tests/reviews/comparisons of detectors on fresh and saltwater beaches with "Black Sand".  But there is only a 50/50 chance that the beach "Black Sand" you are looking at is iron bearing "Black Sand".  The other possibility is that it is plant matter that has decayed and been ground into fine powder by wind and wave action.  Those in areas where Bog Iron is produced or those Southern Red Clays have to deal with sands that are iron bearing but not necessarily Black in color.  Some of the hottest sands I've ever seen were Purple in color.  To know whether the "Black Sand" is the bad kind(iron bearing) you need to test it, a simple magnet can help or a detector with a ground type meter.   Unless a tester/reviewer has verified the black beach sand as iron bearing I would be skeptical of the results.
    • By wanderer
      I would like to know what exactly is minerlaization,   What kind of minerals? are they all iron based or mafic?  what about  other things?   I am considering the purchase of my first  detector and looking at a used  xterra 705.  I know that  VLF are limited in heavy minerlized soils/Rocks  so I am trying to find wha th elimits of this detector would be.  I plan mainly to hunt for gold nuggets > while I would like a  PI I don't see any that re reasonably priced for a first detector.   What thoughts do you have?
    • By Tarz
      Is it worth while detecting old deep lead mullock heaps?
      The heap I have in mind comprises of granite and ironstone rocks and kaolin clay.