Picked Out A V-nickel

Nice find. In rough shape. Show a picture if it cleans up better. Try soaking in hydrogen peroxide.

• Thanks 1

I have had good luck with steel wool or fine wire brush on nickels but usually the nickels and coppers get blown away here because of all the fertilizer in the ground. Old coins I try to make out a date then bag them.

• Like 2

Congratulation of unmasking a keeper-coin.  'V' and Shield  Nickers are some of my favorite finds in old-use locations, but it can be a challenge to find the better, uncontaminated places where they can come out relatively clean.  Fertilize and other chemical issues in many sites can really mess up the nickel, especially due to their alloy make-up.

Glad you got out, and 'Thank You' for including the detector model and settings info.

Monte

Great find on such trashy area!

Hope it cleans up a little better for you, and wish you good luck on your next hunt.

Guys

Using something abrasive on a coin is not the thing you want to do. Just digging a coin up and running it on your pants to see the date is a no no but we all do it.

I have yet have a V nickel are shields nickel  come out of the ground without some kind of erosion that never came off . 
Sometimes it’s best to admire the beauty of the coin the way it is .

Chuck 

• Like 1