Corrosion Prevention

stevejhgla

How can I prevent my headphone jack from further corrosion?

A little back story. 

I'm submerging my equinox 800 about 2-3 times per week in saltwater (Florida gulf coast).  

Purchased the LS PELSO headphones October 11th (1 week shipping) and as you can see they have already started to corrode. 

I don't take the headphones out and wash the jack EVERYTIME. (Trying to avoid this)

Please leave a comment, let me know what you do, and what you think will work for me! 

Thanks 

20201128_203315.jpg

• Oh my! 1

49 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think it's the fault of the manufacturer for using a corrosive terminal on a waterproof headphone, seems pretty silly.  They should be made out of at least gold plating.

There are sprays that may help like this one http://news.demesne.ie/prevent-rust-corrosion-qoil

When we used to live near the coast I had to spay that stuff on my outdoor light fittings to prevent them rusting up and the lights stopping working.  It did the job, a spray inside the socket and a spray on the bulbs metal and all was well.

Maybe just put some silicone grease on the thread area and the bit that's already rusty to try stop water getting in there in the first place.

Thanks Simon, I appreciate the tips.  I subscribe to you on YouTube. 

I think I'll contact the manufacturer.

I'm not too familiar with this stuff and weary of using something that will deteriorate the o-ring inside of the machine.😟

Hey Steve,

I'm on the South Florida Coast! 

A little steel wool, or toothpaste and a little scrubbing!  If it comes off, it's probably stainless steel! If not, than it's plated!

There are different grades of stainless, and they all can rust; albeit at a slower rate for the better grades! 

After every hunt, make sure you rinse off the detector, and all the parts with fresh water! Pay close attention to the cam locks, because they clog with sand readily! Than i use either a good spray wax, or spray furniture polish to wipe it down, after rinse and dry! And don't forget a little dab of plumber's grease (clear silicone grease) on the o-rings! Only takes a few minutes! This should help!

Being that you have it in the salt water alot, it will need to be checked often! 

Also check the screws on the detector! And the one's that hold the headphones together! Sometimes those are not stainless and rust horribly! 

Hope you are having good luck on your Gulf Coast hunts!👍👍

• Like 1

Boeshield is a waterproof lubricant developed by the Boeing Aircraft Company. Aerosol cans are available at most car parts shores. I've used it for years in the aircraft industry and works great in exactly your type of situation. IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.31897c2e5ed0626d8fbb2dbc0b37af49.JPGed it

• Like 3

Silicone grease will not harm the O-ring and will help prevent the metal from corroding. Many manufacturers of products that use O-rings such as camera housings and swimming pool pumps recommend using it. I've been using silicone grease on the rubber seal of my CZ-20 for over 20 years and it still looks like new. It actually helps prolong the life of O-rings by preventing them from drying and cracking. O-rings only need to be greased every 5 years or so. Metal maybe once a year at most. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-O-Ring-Silicone-Grease-Tube-93003/304709587

It should prevent your headphone jack from corroding. Putting it on the threads will help keep water out. Put it everywhere that you don't want corrosion to happen with just a light coating on the jack post. It won't interfere with the connection. 

Also use it on your rod parts where they connect and the clamps as well.

7 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

You can add water scooters to the above list.

As they say Don’t leave home without it!

Chuck 

I've never heard of water scooters.  What is it? 

Edit - I took me a while to figure out what you meant. I thought it might be some sort of water repellent spray that makes water scoot away. Then I Googled it.

You meant add water scooters to the list of things that silicone grease is used on. Got it.

You have O-rings to keep the water out of the battery compartment. You also put silicone grease that helps keep the water out too .

Water Scooters is made by most companies that make any other water toys.

Chuck 

15 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

How can I prevent my headphone jack from further corrosion?

A little back story. 

I'm submerging my equinox 800 about 2-3 times per week in saltwater (Florida gulf coast).  

Purchased the LS PELSO headphones October 11th (1 week shipping) and as you can see they have already started to corrode. 

I don't take the headphones out and wash the jack EVERYTIME. (Trying to avoid this)

Please leave a comment, let me know what you do, and what you think will work for me! 

Thanks 

20201128_203315.jpg

I just got back to my machine yesterday. Even after washing everything and putting spray on it. Mine has some corrosion too.   

I think there is zinc in that connector! 🙄