Finally......Scored Me A New GoldStrike

Guest Paul (Ca)

I plan too Ray, the area I relic hunt isn't too far from one of the areas you nugget hunt. Maybe 20 miles distance at most from one particular area, that would be great.

Sold my Whites GMT, guess with the new Deus upgrade coming maybe can use my Deus with the higher KHz or pickup a Gold Racer. Either way, I'll have something to use.

Also, Mike I once had a GoldStrike picked up on Craig's list. From someone locally, always wanted to try it up in nugget country but ended up trading or selling it off. Did try it as a relic machine, with the short period spend swinging the unit found it was a decent machine.

Auctally, liked it better than the CoinStrike owned that too for a spell. Hope you share future experience's with your GoldStrike, I'd like to hear more about it and how it does for your type of hunting. I regret not spending more time with my GoldStrike, maybe someday another will surface on Craig's list or eBay like yours did.

HH, Paul

My Goldstrike arrived yesterday.   It is a cream puff.  New as described.

While I was bench testing last night I noticed something I hadn't noticed before; there is no spot in the ground balance settings that decreases the response to gold. 

The Ground Balance range is -99 to +99, zero inclusive, in increments of 1.   In other words the range goes -99 to 0 to +99.   At a -99 setting high conductors like clad dollars read as iron.  As the ground balance is moved away from the negative side toward 0 the hi conductors start to re-appear as non-ferrous.  By the time you get to -50 they are hitting pretty good and the response continues to get a little better as you move closer to 0.   However, as you pass 0 and continue to +99 the high conductors continue to respond better and better until at last you hit +99.    At +99, a clad dollar is responding with a repeatable non-ferrous response at 13". 

So the ground balance settings do have an effect on high conductor response.

However. ground balance settings from -99 to 0 have no effect on gold response.  Using my thin 18 K white gold ring, I noticed no change in response in ground balance settings from -99 to 0. I continued to get a pretty consistant 8" non-ferrous response on the ring which is expected for the 5x10 DD coil as I've discovered with my 5x10 bench marking exercise.  But,  as I move toward and to a +99 setting, the ring response improved, until at a +99 setting I was getting another 1-1/2"  in distance.

This was performed with a Sens setting of 9.  Threshold setting of 0.  Disc setting of 99.

So a positive ground balance setting improved both low and high conductor responses significantly.

No spot along the ground balance setting range deadened low conductor response.

High conductor non-ferrous response decreases as ground balance settings move toward and to -99.

Of course, since the GoldStrike is no longer in production this info doesn't help many people. :lol:

HH
Mike

• Like 1

It helps me for sure Mike. Metal detecting is one of those areas where picking up information on anything can almost always prove helpful. Thanks!

The largest gold nugget I know of found with a Gold Strike was a 1.48 ounce walnut shaped beauty found by Fred Brust at Ganes Creek, Alaska in 2002 as relayed in my story at http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/metal-detector-representatives-ganes-creek-gold.htm

fred-brust-1-48-ounce-gold-nugget-ganes-creek-alaska-fisher-gold-strike.jpg

• Like 1

Mike, this is an interesting post and a great review. Thanks for taking the time, I enjoyed learning about this machine.

Mike, Your great info also helps me immensely--I scored a nice one off ebay about 4-5 months ago, but was totally intimidated by all the tweaking possibilities and had more straight-forward detectors to play with. You've de-mystified it with your 2 detailed posts--no longer a-feared. Many Thanks!

I was talking to my modifier friend, Gary H, about the Goldstrike and I think he said to put it at the most minus threshold numbers for the best small nugget detecting. I'll try this out on the bench in the next couple weeks and if I have any insight about this, I'll report back. It's all snow & froze out here in N NV. I shouldn't have been so intimidated because I ran a Coinstrike successfully for a while--just reading other's instructions threw me.

Great message from Rob about his friend raking it up on the bedrock with the Goldstrike--a few gulches out here like that.

Happy Holidays, Joel

FYI Guys...

I just found a Fisher Goldstrike on Craigslist...Listed on Nov 29...not sure if it is still available, but at a $400 price tag, with 2 coils, carry bag and low hours, it might be worth a phone call!  (Lewiston, Idaho)

http://lewiston.craigslist.org/for/5337306939.html

Good Luck!

Largo

• 2 years later...
On 2/26/2018 at 8:52 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

If you mean pieces of lead metal then you are doing it right. Gold and lead read the same.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/goldstrikeopmanual_000.pdf

LOL. Unfortunately that includes bullets. I certainly did my share of making Arizona lead free by detecting them.  :tongue: