Pinpointing Hairpins / Nails

Jim in ma

I went to my local fresh water beach witch I have been to countless times.

I got a very strong hit on my TDI BH gb off, I chased and came up with a 3 1/2 inch hair pin.

A few feet away I got the same hit I pinpointed it took 1 shallow scoop it was still there I took a deeper 2nd scoop deeper than I thought

the target was, still there and centered in the hole with the X on it. If this was a surface coin I would have got it.

I have a good hunch that this another hair pin, so I took a shallow scoop to the left of my hole and there it was a large hair pin lying there.

The pin was 6 to 8 inches off to the side of where I was pinpointing it. I have been detecting since the late 70s so not new at it.

do long narrow targets detect off to the side not on top of them ???

pinpoint_LI.jpg

Might be another target dragging the signal over. Happens to me on my ib machines when there is a patch of rust with a target below. Take a plastic container and flip it so bottom is up. Put a silver dime below then scrape some rust on top and you may hear the target away from the center. Maybe this effects pi's too.

For bobby pins I plucked about 15-20 of them out of local fresh water puddle with my Seahunter and 8" coil. They really sound good too hehe. You put a magnet on the bottom of your scoop? Helps catch them.

• Like 2

I've noticed the same thing with a variety of detectors in years past.  A couple factors to consider, is the coil being used DD vs MONO or Concentric and the 2nd is the direction you are coming from when passing the target.  I always try to circle my target while swinging back and forth.  Also with some other detectors, I'll put detector in ALL METAL MODE and do a Size/Shape Imaging sweep.  Kind of hard to explain, but as I sweep across the target many times and directions I pay attention to the response and many times, I can tell a longer signal from a round coin/ring one. 

The same thing can happen to a few coin detectors if the coin is on edge.

Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for and hope this makes sense.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Take this advice to heart...especially if you also hunt turf.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chet said:

The attached drawing is an approximation of how the transmit and receive magnetic fields are distorted.

I've never seen that illustration but it sure explains a lot.  ("A picture is worth a thousand words!")  Thanks for posting that, Chet.

21 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Where were you guys when I needed you?  😃  That's something I had to learn the hard way but I was never really sure that I was arriving at the correct conclusion.  My recovery technique of digging around the target and removing a clump of dirt containing it (to make sure I don't hit a desirable target with the steel digging tool) erases the orientation information.  Thanks to both of you.

BTW, "a few coin detectors" includes the Minelab Equinox, at least with some settings.

• Thanks 1

Nice illustration Chet, explains a lot.

Jim are you able to nudge out the distortion at all with pulse delay?

• Like 1

Your detector basically turns long iron into a bar magnet.   Wire, hairpins, nails...   But you are also adding the loop affect on the bent end of the hair pin which also raises its phase shift.  So it sounds like a good non-ferrous target.  The pinpoint is what gives it away.   A 90 degree pinpoint should have given it away.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kac said:

Nice illustration Chet, explains a lot.

Jim are you able to nudge out the distortion at all with pulse delay?

5 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

Your detector basically turns long iron into a bar magnet.   Wire, hairpins, nails...   But you are also adding the loop affect on the bent end of the hair pin which also raises its phase shift.  So it sounds like a good non-ferrous target.  The pinpoint is what gives it away.   A 90 degree pinpoint should have given it away.

HH
Mike

Mike with this hair pin from the strength of the signal after I had about 3-4 inches of sand removed from the center where a good target would have been , the signal was too strong to be centered in my hole at that depth so that is when I started looking around the edges for something long not round and found the hairpin.

I try to hit old beaches that I know have produced many good finds in the past and where I am has a high possibility of good targets.

Knowing this I dig every sound I hear that is repeatable at least in one direction I do not spend time trying to guess what the target is because most of the time digging in sand I have the target out of the hole in less time, in rocks and hard digging I will spend a little time investigating the target.

Since I started digging these scratchy weak sounds I have yielded some of my best finds and my share if junk.

• Like 3