Minelab GPX 6000 With Geo Sense Pulse Induction

3 hours ago, Hamid said:

I want to see something new from Minelab that release an unit for the experts. 
No “auto”any more. 

The 'Holy Grail' so to speak of metal detectors would be one that 'automatically' ignores the ground and everything 'bad' in it and would only react to 'valuable' targets.

The problem of engineers, metal detecting companies and users of detectors is defining 'bad' and 'valuable!'  The GM for instance tries to make it easy by saying gold or not gold.  What if you want to find relics rather than gold.  That then becomes your object of value.  The same could be said of meteorites.  They have value.

Minelab is not replacing the 7000 so this 6000 with Geo Sense will not exceed the power and capabilities of a 7000.  If it did then no one would buy a 7000.  Minelab is in a delicate dance here.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

The GM for instance tries to make it easy by saying gold or not gold.

I think that illustrates an even more fundamental problem than addressing detectorists' intended targets -- the difference in meaning between 'tries' and 'succeeds'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

And once they figure out how to discriminate lead from gold they can set the price for the machine to whatever dollar value they want and not worry about sales....

As a relic hunter, lead is gold.  Now if they find a way to separate aluminum from gold, lead, and brass, then we might have something to talk about... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dial-a-target ...

The AQ Limited is dialed in to Gold Rings!

• Like 1

I agree, I am rich !!! if lead is Gold, I am in the top 100 of the richest people in the USA.

5 hours ago, MSC said:

I agree, I am rich !!! if lead is Gold, I am in the top 100 of the richest people in the USA.

This is a display case filled with nearly 1,000 complete Shaler 3-piece CW minie ball bullets found in a single hole dug in Culpeper, VA.  At $100+ US dollars per complete three piece set, this display is valued at just north of $100,000.  Not really close to the intrinsic weight value of gold, but nothing to sneeze at.  Hence my comment from a relic digger's perspective who uses a GPX at these sites.  The right kind of lead is valued in my world, as is gold, obviously, and brass not attached to a shotgun shell casing.  Aluminum not so much.  :wink:

20170326_155238.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Chase,

Maybe you want to make that a separate thread and tell us more about 'the find' and why you think all of it might have been in one hole.

Mitchel

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Chase,

Maybe you want to make that a separate thread and tell us more about 'the find' and why you think all of it might have been in one hole.

Mitchel

Mitchel - I think it's relevant right in this thread.  This bullet "horde" was found by a relic hunter using a GPX.  The mass of lead plus other large metallic targets in the hole gave a nice, smooth, long low tone.  As the relic hunter dug down, obviously, the signal became more intense and ultimate he was rewarded with this find.  The reason it was in the same hole is really not a big mystery.  This area served several winters as an encampment site for hundreds of thousands of soldiers who really did not have much to do for several months but eat, sleep, play poker and chess, imbibe, try not to get sick and do target shooting with their weapons.  The camps were comprised of dug in shelters with fireplace hearths and trash pits/privies nearby.  What happened here was that someone left behind a crate of Shaler cartridges in a hut.  The huts were were abandoned when whether allowed marching and fighting to resume and were typically demolished and plowed under by the farmers who owned the land where the soldiers were camping.  The GPX is ideal, especially in the hot soil of Culpeper, for ferreting out those deep signals that can get you into one of these huts or trash pits and then it is artifact recovery time, with several unbroken bottles, bullets, uniform buttons, coins, bayonets, and other soldier personal and military effects that can be recovered from a single hole or pit.  In this case, the crate housing the Shalers apparently disintigrated (as well as the attached paper cartridges that held the powder) and the bullets were able to be recovered as a horde in a single (albeit large) dig hole.   A next gen GPX that can differentiate between big iron and other large cache's of metal can be of great use to the CW relic hunter in former winter encampment sites such as the site at which all of these bullets were recovered.  Of course the "lead as valuable as gold" was a tongue-in-cheek way to make the point that a relic hunter doesn't need to differentiate/discriminate between gold and lead as much as between gold, lead, brass vs. aluminum (i.e., modern trash).  That doesn't mean I am unsympathetic to the plight of prospectors having to deal with "junk metal" (lead, brass, tin, copper, aluminum), when the singular objective is recovery of gold.  Just confiming the old adage that one man's trash is another man's treasure.  The prospector and the relic hunter are both using the same instrument but with different objectives and perspectives on junk and treasure. HTH.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think it all depends on what you are using the detector for. The GPX series, as well as the SDC and GPZ, are traditionally intended to be pure gold detecting machines. Relic hunting is not the primary focus . Hence, for gold-only hunters like me, everything else than gold is your enemy (unless sliver or platinum..). I suppose the GPX600 will also be a pure gold hunting machine, and this is what this thread is about. But Mitchel makes a good point, the findings you show are amazing and absolutely worth a separate thread 🙂

• Like 1