Minelab GPX 6000 With Geo Sense Pulse Induction

Steve may end up doing a 'review' like this but I could make a case for Minelab to say if you were only going to have two detectors then one should be the Equinox 800 and the second one should be a GPX 6000.  With these two machines nearly anything and everything worth searching for on land or in the water can be found if it is metal or part metal.

I wouldn’t be getting overly excited about discrimination, it was not mentioned in any of the rumours I have heard.

I got the impression Geosense was better ground handling for extreme conditions, which there is a lot of around where I prospect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Trent King said:

I wouldn’t be getting overly excited about discrimination, it was not mentioned in any of the rumours I have heard.

Im not holding my breath, just spitballing how I would put certain features to use though if given a chance. If its some sort of accurate depth/position gauge then such a thing could be used as a discriminator in places that you want to avoid shallower targets. If the Geosense does something with on screen target visualization then such a thing might be useful too if some basic target geometry is rendered. But thats probably way too hopeful.

Actually though, even just slightly improved rudimentary iron discrim like on the GPX, but with a capability to run it on mono coils instead of DD would be interesting too. Though there aren't any rumors about that either, yet it also seems not beyond reason or expectation of a future machine proudly borrowing features from the GPX.

Maybe there aren’t any rumors about the most extraordinary capabilities because those are exactly what will be giving the 6 it’s edge??? Ehhh? Ehh? Surprise!!! 😂

On 12/2/2020 at 11:08 AM, phrunt said:

The Equonix is an example of a all rounder in Minelab's stable, it's done very well for them.   Some good discrimination on a GPX would be great. 

Phrunt, the Gpx does have good discrimination. You can't compare the Gpx discrimination with the Nox or Monster or even the 705. The Gpx discrimination only goes down 6" so if your target is deeper, it won't work till you get within 6" of the coil. Furthermore, the discrimination on the 5000 and the 4000 work flawlessly for what it was designed to do in the goldfields.  Dig every target regardless of what disc says and test some various sizes nuggets and you will see it works perfect for what Minelab wanted it to do. I trust the Gpx discrimination 💯%. It has never let me down. And I don't expect it to do what I know it can't.

A small excerpt from approved Australian Minelab Patent 2019203292 - Improved Metal Detector

"Having a positioning system means that new concepts can be incorporated into new ground balance algorithms to improve on the state of the art"

Based on the above statement I'm guessing Geo Sense is all about the detector using GPS to determine how you are detecting and adjusting settings automatically to suit and not having GPS built into the detector so you can tell where you are or have been  - so patch hunting (walking and detecting) will automatically have one algorithm , when you stop to investigate a likely target it will automatically use another algorithm etc. It's going to be all about improved ground balancing and ease of use compared to the GPX5000.  If the GPX6000 does have better ground balancing without compromising detection depth I'm in.

• Like 1

It appears to be a new ground balancing method by implementing locations determined via GPS

ML-0.JPG.bc34943b0d556031404b8576f72ca144.JPG

ML-2.JPG.e3523a6e0ad7c1f07273b76ff9aac136.JPG

ML-1.thumb.JPG.b068f05bf7202d429c66ac995a058ac6.JPG

ML-3.JPG.36591d6ac7bdbb1151ae4af0e260ec01.JPG

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

As long as they leave manual settings there for those that insist on using them, rightly or wrongly then it should be a good feature

That's exactly what I think. Most GPZ operators use semi-auto GB. Here, the machine already does a lot of automatic adjustments anyhow all the time with just the X being locked. So, why not having a supercharged version of it? Kind of cool if the GB algorithms factor in locations and remember the ground conditions where you have been. For instance, If you revisit spots where you have already been then the machine remembers the old algorithms and has a better way for further fine tuning, with less dependence on how the operator handles the machine. It might overall give you an edge in the field, since it all comes down to how to make a target stand out better.  As long as you still have manual GB, as you say, I am all for it. I like to use manual at times to not track out faint targets when I zoom in on them..