Minelab GPX 6000 With Geo Sense Pulse Induction

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

GPX 4800 and 5000 have a coin and relic timing and the salt timings.   It's wise for Minelab to broaden their horizons beyond gold if they can.  I think a discriminating PI is on just about everyone's wish list.

If the price of the machine is high, I would agree that adding some timings for other than gold hunters would increase sales. But the bottom line for a gold machine is, that is has to offer gold prospectors something more than they already have provided previously, or it is of no use to them. So it will have to focus on gold. But as we have seen from the previous GPX models, they also work for relic and coin shooting if you get to learn how they work.  So in the end we should all win.......hopefully 😄

• Like 2

I think to drive innovation and to come up with a differentiated product you need to focus on the primary intend of the machine. Gold machines and relic machines are just not the same and are not on the same path when it comes to new product cycles. Sure, you can use the GPX or GPZ for relic hunting or for whatever else you want, but when it comes down to performance enhancements over existing products in a highly competitive market you need to look at the primary customer base and what they are using the machine for. And for the 6000 that appears to be the gold freaks 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

This is a display case filled with nearly 1,000 complete Shaler 3-piece CW minie ball bullets found in a single hole dug in Culpeper, VA.  At $100+ US dollars per complete three piece set, this display is valued at just north of $100,000.

Now that's an impressive display and story!  It does bring up a point few of us will ever be fortunate enough to be confronted with, but this detectorist should (and maybe did) think of it:

If something is rare but sought after and you were to discover a hoard of it, how do you publicize and liquidate?  The law of supply and demand in its simplist form says when the supply goes up the price comes down.  Thus if these were $100 each (3-piece bullet) before this discovery, is the demand high enough (or can it be built) to keep that price/value?  (You didn't say where the $100 valuation came from so I'm using that value for illustrative purposes.)

Example 1:  in the 1970's the USA government (Government Services Administration or GSA) sold uncirculated Morgan silver dollars that had never been distributed/circulated after over-mintage.  Many were from the Carson City Mint which had never produced very many in any year.  They effectively flooded the market for certain issues -- 1882, 1883, 1884 in particular.  Someone who had previouly held one of these -CC minted coins in uncirculated condition (and possibly having paid serious $ for them) saw his/her prized piece drop in value to ~$30!

Example 2:  The SS Central America sank in 1857 off the coast of North Carolina in a hurricane.  Besides passengers (don't want to undervalue human life) it was carrying freshly minted gold coins being transported from the San Frandisco Mint (~5,000 Double Eagles dated 1857 and ~1,000 dated 1856 -- see PCGS site and look at the notes at the end of the individual coin's page).  It was found in 1988 and many of those gold coins were previously quite rare, at least in uncirculated condition.  (Note:  I don't know the details, and often the sellers try to generate value from the provenance -- "authentic, certified from the SS Central America hoard!" -- but I suspect those holding coins with those date, mintmark, and condition prior to the wreck's discovery weren't thrilled with the recovery.)

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

I think to drive innovation and to come up with a differentiated product you need to focus on the primary intend of the machine. Gold machines and relic machines are just not the same and are not on the same path when it comes to new product cycles. Sure, you can use the GPX or GPZ for relic hunting or for whatever else you want, but when it comes down to performance enhancements over existing products in a highly competitive market you need to look at the primary customer base and what they are using the machine for. And for the 6000 that appears to be the gold freaks 🙂

Minelab has 800 EXPERIENCE and SALES now.  Is it a relic machine with gold timings?  Probably.  Following along those same lines they can take a 6000 which is a gold machine and make it more relic (field and park) and beach friendly.  Someone like myself who goes to the beach and the deserts and mountains would really like this versatility.

Good point. Ideally, a machine that has high performance for all applications would be best.

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

Good point. Ideally, a machine that has high performance for all applications would be best.

That’s the point I was trying to make.  There is no reason the features for prospecting, relic hunting, or beach hunting with a PI have to be in conflict at all (or implied needs for separate threads).  I really don’t care if it can discriminate between gold and lead or between any other non-ferrous metal.  Not high on my features list.  It would be nice but not necessary, and as long as non-ferrous performance was not affected or that it did not result in significant cost or a delayed release, would not be opposed to the feature.  I was merely using the lead vs. gold example as a way to make the tongue in cheek point that the GPX series is indeed used for recovering non-ferrous metallic targets other than gold that have value to those besides prospectors that use the GPX.  

I really just need it to be a good ferrous discriminator, particularly on small, bent iron that tends to behave like a small mid-conductor even on today’s ferrous blanking GPX, while minimizing blind spot holes for non-ferrous targets, in the process.  

Improvements in ergonomics (weight, balance, eliminating external batteries and audio amps, and user interface) are most welcome.

With the innovative engineering talent ML apparently has at their disposal there really shouldn’t be any reason why ML couldn’t produce a GPX that is as versatile to PI’s as the Equinox is to VLFs.

• Like 3

Having a 5000 (and many coils) and a 7000, I am hard pressed financially to purchase a 6000 no matter how good it is, have to wait for a used one someday day perhaps. I am excited to see how it performs though.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MSC said:

Having a 5000 (and many coils) and a 7000, I am hard pressed financially to purchase a 6000 no matter how good it is, have to wait for a used one someday day perhaps. I am excited to see how it performs though.  

This could be someone's first PI quite easily but for those of us with multiple detectors already, including the 7000 I would be hard pressed to get one also just to keep from digging a few pieces of trash.  If I find gold now in trash with the 7000 I'm digging it.  Trash tells a story too.

• Like 1

Over $3500? Then count me in if:

• Much better in salt than the GPZ. At least measurably better than the SDC/GPX too.
  • Uses my existing coils or has affordable OEM/3rd party options
  • Geosense is something that helps with target ID and dealing with mineralized ground/hot rocks in a significant way, and not just a gimmick or pinpointing assistance
  • Has a measurable performance boost with big and small gold in mild ground over the SDC/GPX. I noticed there were patents relating to faster time constant detection, so I have hopes here for crystalline/speci/tiny stuff. Big, deep gold though...?

Weight reduction would be great and I'd take it, but to me personally it's not something I'd pay that much money for alone.

I can't believe we aren't seeing any rumors of testing or really anything about the machine anywhere yet. 

• Like 4