Gangster's Gold

Join three groups of treasure hunters, armed with modern technology and newly uncovered clues, as they set out to find the lost treasure of notorious Prohibition-era gangster Dutch Schultz and solve an 85-year-old mystery. 

https://www.kcet.org/shows/secrets-of-the-dead/episodes/gangsters-gold?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=kcet m, ,

Saw it!  Very disappointing.  Not sure I can believe the Gold Coin find!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Ok, I wondered it it had been posted by someone before me.

But the reason why these lores are *so* hard to dismiss (and so hard to apply critical thinking to) is that they are ALWAYS based on real names, dates, and events.  Eg.:  None of them ever started with "Once upon a time", eh ?  They always cite a place, a historical event, a date, a few names of real people from history, etc....  And from THAT they weave a treasure story.  So when it comes time to apply critical thinking, the average mind gets hung up on the "real" names, the "real" events, the "real" places, etc....

For example:  Back before the internet, in the 1970s, a buddy of mine sent in a story to one of the Treasure magazines (so-as to get the $50 or $100 author-acceptance pay).   He had some faded newspaper clippings, some actual dates and events (a gold strike in Nevada or AZ), some names and dates (that you could look up), etc....  And wove a fantasy tale of a "lost stagecoach loot" or "stolen military payroll" around the factoids.   All of it was just made up fancy.   We got a good laugh wondering if anyone ever actually went out looking for it.

Not saying that all-such-tales are made-up fancy.  They could be rooted in sincere telephone game, where no one along the daisy-train intended to deceive.  But it only takes a few daisy-chain steps on the game before it's a room-sized treasure vault, with $1 million in gold bars, etc....  And you can NEVER put it to rest.  Because the faithful will always point to the real names, dates, and events.  The trouble is, that it DOESN'T MATTER if 99% of the story is true.  Because if the 1% isn't true (that there's a treasure), then what does it matter that the other 99% is true ?

• Like 2