Do You Do Detector #2 On A Hunt Or Only Stick To #1

Always take PI and Vlf where ever we go and have a backup in case we have a detector that has issues. That goes also for extra coils ,rods, pinpointers, etc. If you drive any distance and not be prepared for what could happen, would question why even bother to go. I can understand if you can only afford one detector, but if that's not the issue if you have extra detector(s) why not pack them along.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Do You Do Detector #2 On A Hunt Or Only Stick To #1

Depends on the Hunt!  If I have to hump a mile, it’s only one detector!  If it’s a new spot, more than likely it will be something light weight.  SDC 2300 or VLF, if I can establish small gold with one of these the next trip will be the 7000 for the depth.  Repeat if necessary, fun digging them little dink’s!

Rick

• Like 7

Hello again Gerry,

I suppose that if i could hunt in nugget country,  i would at least pack two!

Being that i am primarily a beach and park hunter, and usually don't hunt too far from home, i will take one! If I'm traveling anything over a half hour or so, i will take two! I don't have a PI yet, or that would be one of the two! The Nox is always one of the two, the second would be my AT Pro, G2+, or the MXT that i got from you! I have three coils each for these! My Nox only has the stock coil for now! I continue to hang on to a thread of hope that ML will allow someone to make aftermarket coils!👍👍

• Like 2

I started with the Goldmaster 2 for hunting nuggets, many, many years later I went out on a limb and smacked down some silver and cash and bought my friends ML 4500. Best thing I did was to get the PI, my gold take way surpassed the ones I was getting with the vlf, Ia m talking pounds instead of grams! When I do take  out my Tesoro Lobo to hit a few trashy areas I always end up with going back to the truck for my PI , just cant seem to go back to vlf. Perhaps a NOX would change my mind with its disc , I.d. display, and tones for the trashy spots. I am 100% convinced that a 2 detector option is the way to go as every hunting circumstances requires the right equipment to do the job most effectively. I just have not decided which vlf is best suited for identifying gold form iron , maybe the NOX 800 is the way to go.

• Like 3

I added an SDC last season and glad I did so now I always pack 2 detectors as long as I'm not too far from the quad.  If I have to pack straight up the mtn on foot then maybe only take one depending on the site and and/or how much trash?  What's important to me is how I can best manage my time per hunt. Sometimes I use the Monster in an area and follow up with the SDC and sometimes vice-versa.  When I use the SDC I "usually" find a target first and flag it until I've flagged approximately 10 targets, then I'll grab the Monster and work the 10 targets.  It's a real time saver imo. 

Always nice to also have a backup just in case.  Speaking of backups....loosing your scoop can really mess up your hunt especially with a VLF (don't ask how I know...lol) so don't forget the backup scoop.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Oh my! 1

"Pack up a Back up" or

" Forget a back up, you'll have to pack up"😁

Could be a good bumper sticker reminder! Pretty much applies to all supplies!👍👍

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I take 2 PI The wife carries and uses one and I the other. As for backup if mine breaks down she has to give me hers😁  if hers breaks down she has to REST till its starts to get dark and we return back to camp. This works out OK for me as I only have to carry ONE detector.🤪 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh my! 2

19 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I take 2 PI The wife carries and uses one and I the other. As for backup if mine breaks down she has to give me hers😁  if hers breaks down she has to REST till its starts to get dark and we return back to camp. This works out OK for me as I only to carry ONE detector.🤪 

No doubt the wifey has to pay rental on that tector with greater portion of gold she finds per hunt....?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2