Do You Do Detector #2 On A Hunt Or Only Stick To #1

It depends on the area im heading into. Known areas I will take the big guns into. If its a new area, I normally pack 2, a GM1000 and my atx.

I leave the big guns at home until I know there is need. I wont leave them in the vehicle. Sometimes im miles away and dont need to worry about them. Plus I like to get a feel for new areas before headng into it with alot of high dollar equipment.

• Like 6

I feel sorry for the poor guy who couldn't get his backup machine out of your truck after wandering around for 4 hours digging deep targets with his 7000.  😳 

Always keep your backup accessible.

Was a fun trip, and one day one of those deep targets will be a nice chunk.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

35 minutes ago, spencer said:

I feel sorry for the poor guy who couldn't get his backup machine out of your truck after wandering around for 4 hours digging deep targets with his 7000.  😳 

Always keep your backup accessible.

Was a fun trip, and one day one of those deep targets will be a nice chunk.

Spencer,

We need to hear from you more often.  You've got stories we need to read about.  I think you might even have a couple of pictures of years past.

Mitchel

• Like 3

I rarely if ever leave home without a minimum of 2 VLF machines and if i have knowledge of the site that i am visiting then i will take a 'heavy hitter' as i call them this could be either the TDI Pro or one of my Nexus machines,latter machines are solely for difficult ground conditions or i suspect a possibly hoard etc.

Of course nugget hunting is not mine/our thing here in the UK but of course gold is a common denominator this could be coinage or artefacts rather than gold in its natural form.

Ground conditions and targets and also things like human habitation which can cause us grieve also need to be taken into account as well,so not only a few detectors but more than often a few extra coil sizes as well to give some extra advantages.

Also another reason is that if i have travelled some distance to a permission and a fault develops with just the one detector that i had taken i can assure you the 'verbal vocabulary' would be off the scale trust me on that one 😀 So i always take spare batteries,headphones and many other detector temporary repair bits and bobs.

In all the decades that i have been detecting as yet and probably will never happen i have never had the need to return home because of not be able to detect with a faulty or broken machine.

• Like 2

I usually take the 5000 and 7000 with me , love to have a 800 though, I have a GB2 but not the same. 

• Like 1

Sally and I use the 7000 and 2300 in the same area, and work nearby one another. We flag targets if we have any questions about them and use whichever machine is best suited to the signal after we have several targets to work. And have the old 705 handy for backup or to decieve ourselves with target ID in trashy areas.

The 7000 is the workhorse, but the 2300 has it's share of finds and often saves digging time.

Working alone, it would depend on area for which PI to use, but 705 is light, and easy to keep handy. It is aways in the cargo pod.

We are still nearly novices at gold detecting, but for ambiguous signals, this approach dual machine approach has found some gold and saved quite a bit of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gerry: I always take two detectors, not uncommon to have technical issues with one.

I only work new ground, so I do the initial prospecting with the lightweight QED PI. I then run a GPX over found patches if it's deep or highly mineralised. Occasionally this brings up extra gold.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MSC said:

I usually take the 5000 and 7000 with me , love to have a 800 though, I have a GB2 but not the same. 

You know I can make that happen.  I don't tell/show all the Au I dig, but it has been my best gold machine in the last 3 yrs.  Not saying you would need it, but all sales of the NOX and you get a discount on the Field Training we offer.  Bonus,  I show you all kinds of gold it finds that your 5000 & 7000 can't or has issues with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arky said:

Sally and I use the 7000 and 2300 in the same area, and work nearby one another. We flag targets if we have any questions about them and use whichever machine is best suited to the signal after we have several targets to work. And have the old 705 handy for backup or to decieve ourselves with target ID in trashy areas.

The 7000 is the workhorse, but the 2300 has it's share of finds and often saves digging time.

Working alone, it would depend on area for which PI to use, but 705 is light, and easy to keep handy. It is aways in the cargo pod.

We are still nearly novices at gold detecting, but for ambiguous signals, this approach dual machine approach has found some gold and saved quite a bit of time.

Not saying anyone else did not give good information and many did, but this caught me at the right time.   You mentioned "as a novice" and then went on to describe how the different detectors (tools) are used to help you identify the potential signals, which saves time.  

This is exactly why my staff/I train/tell customers to know the capabilities and limitations of your detector.  No way can 1 unit do it all the best.

I enjoyed your comments and how you realize the tools do different tasks better/worse.  Well said.

• Like 3

Depending on area and or state that I am detecting, I'll take at least 2 detectors and 2 pin pointers with me. ( As well as 2 scoops ) Lol !!!! I feel if you have the equipment and the room to carry them it's a no brainer.....

• Like 1