Do You Do Detector #2 On A Hunt Or Only Stick To #1

It depends on the area im heading into. Known areas I will take the big guns into. If its a new area, I normally pack 2, a GM1000 and my atx.

I leave the big guns at home until I know there is need. I wont leave them in the vehicle. Sometimes im miles away and dont need to worry about them. Plus I like to get a feel for new areas before headng into it with alot of high dollar equipment.

• Like 6

I feel sorry for the poor guy who couldn't get his backup machine out of your truck after wandering around for 4 hours digging deep targets with his 7000.  😳 

Always keep your backup accessible.

Was a fun trip, and one day one of those deep targets will be a nice chunk.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

35 minutes ago, spencer said:

I feel sorry for the poor guy who couldn't get his backup machine out of your truck after wandering around for 4 hours digging deep targets with his 7000.  😳 

Always keep your backup accessible.

Was a fun trip, and one day one of those deep targets will be a nice chunk.

Spencer,

We need to hear from you more often.  You've got stories we need to read about.  I think you might even have a couple of pictures of years past.

Mitchel

• Like 3

I rarely if ever leave home without a minimum of 2 VLF machines and if i have knowledge of the site that i am visiting then i will take a 'heavy hitter' as i call them this could be either the TDI Pro or one of my Nexus machines,latter machines are solely for difficult ground conditions or i suspect a possibly hoard etc.

Of course nugget hunting is not mine/our thing here in the UK but of course gold is a common denominator this could be coinage or artefacts rather than gold in its natural form.

Ground conditions and targets and also things like human habitation which can cause us grieve also need to be taken into account as well,so not only a few detectors but more than often a few extra coil sizes as well to give some extra advantages.

Also another reason is that if i have travelled some distance to a permission and a fault develops with just the one detector that i had taken i can assure you the 'verbal vocabulary' would be off the scale trust me on that one 😀 So i always take spare batteries,headphones and many other detector temporary repair bits and bobs.

In all the decades that i have been detecting as yet and probably will never happen i have never had the need to return home because of not be able to detect with a faulty or broken machine.

• Like 2

Sally and I use the 7000 and 2300 in the same area, and work nearby one another. We flag targets if we have any questions about them and use whichever machine is best suited to the signal after we have several targets to work. And have the old 705 handy for backup or to decieve ourselves with target ID in trashy areas.

The 7000 is the workhorse, but the 2300 has it's share of finds and often saves digging time.

Working alone, it would depend on area for which PI to use, but 705 is light, and easy to keep handy. It is aways in the cargo pod.

We are still nearly novices at gold detecting, but for ambiguous signals, this approach dual machine approach has found some gold and saved quite a bit of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gerry: I always take two detectors, not uncommon to have technical issues with one.

I only work new ground, so I do the initial prospecting with the lightweight QED PI. I then run a GPX over found patches if it's deep or highly mineralised. Occasionally this brings up extra gold.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MSC said:

I usually take the 5000 and 7000 with me , love to have a 800 though, I have a GB2 but not the same. 

You know I can make that happen.  I don't tell/show all the Au I dig, but it has been my best gold machine in the last 3 yrs.  Not saying you would need it, but all sales of the NOX and you get a discount on the Field Training we offer.  Bonus,  I show you all kinds of gold it finds that your 5000 & 7000 can't or has issues with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arky said:

Sally and I use the 7000 and 2300 in the same area, and work nearby one another. We flag targets if we have any questions about them and use whichever machine is best suited to the signal after we have several targets to work. And have the old 705 handy for backup or to decieve ourselves with target ID in trashy areas.

The 7000 is the workhorse, but the 2300 has it's share of finds and often saves digging time.

Working alone, it would depend on area for which PI to use, but 705 is light, and easy to keep handy. It is aways in the cargo pod.

We are still nearly novices at gold detecting, but for ambiguous signals, this approach dual machine approach has found some gold and saved quite a bit of time.

Not saying anyone else did not give good information and many did, but this caught me at the right time.   You mentioned "as a novice" and then went on to describe how the different detectors (tools) are used to help you identify the potential signals, which saves time.  

This is exactly why my staff/I train/tell customers to know the capabilities and limitations of your detector.  No way can 1 unit do it all the best.

I enjoyed your comments and how you realize the tools do different tasks better/worse.  Well said.

• Like 3

Depending on area and or state that I am detecting, I'll take at least 2 detectors and 2 pin pointers with me. ( As well as 2 scoops ) Lol !!!! I feel if you have the equipment and the room to carry them it's a no brainer.....

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GoldPanDan
      As I stating in Gerry's Topic "Does Size and or Success Matter?" I have a follow up question for folks. Again there is no right or wrong answer, more just an open discussion on what you do.
      When do you consider a patch played out? Do you keep expanding the area even though you've been skunked several times? If so how far do you keep going? How often do you go back to "played out" patches in hopes for finding the ones left behind? Will you scrape a whole are searching for deeper bits? I could keep going on with more questions but I think you are getting my point. When do YOU finally say "I'm done here". 
      I am slightly expecting different answers between those who are hobbyist and those who do this for a living. I would expect those who do this for a living to move on once it does not make financial sense to stay there, but it also might not be as much fun to pick up your scraps when there could be more virgin patches near by. I think this is an interesting topic to discuss and I am curious to see what the more experienced members here have to say!
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      If you just purchased a gold detector are you most interested in the finding of any size of gold?  Does the size of the gold have any effect on you or does it matter most if you go home with a few nuggets, no matter the size?  Is it most important to be driving home from your prospecting trip and you have a few clinkers in your nugget holder?  Or would you mind knowing you missed a few small pickers just to find a 1 grammer (a nugget).  My asking this question comes to mind as of the last month and a half, I have seen more of my customers showing/sharing pics of Success with their GPX-6000 and many from Rye Patch and surrounding areas.  Heck I have a few customers that are already over 100+ count.  Nothing big, but they seem to be happy and to me that is what counts most.
      What's most amazing to this long time 25+ yr detectorist of Rye Patch is the new PI technology of the GPX-6000 and how it's changing my mind and how I sell detectors.  You see, I used to say if I wanted to find 10+ pieces of gold a day, I could easily do it with a VLF and small coil.  Heck, I used to have many 25 to 30 and an occasional 40 piece day with said VLF.  When I would run a PI, the last 10 yrs there at RP, a 10 nugget day is extremely rare, but I've done it.  The SDC-2300 really opened some old patches and 10+ days came back.  Then those went away and the GPZ-7000 came out.  It certainly opened up the old patches again, but even 10 a day was really tough, but I did it more times than most can imagine.  Now today, a 10 nugget day at RP with a SD/GP/GPX-5000 is almost failure.  In fact I would not even try it.  Even with a VLF at RP today, I think a 10 piece day is tough and I doubt but only a few can do it.  Here is the catch though.  If I did run a VLF to find 10 pickers, I'd have maybe a gram of gold at most = approx $50.
      Now here is what I'm seeing.  The folks who go out there with the new technology PI GPX-6000 is literally tearing it up.  Many customers are having their best Success in numbers that they have ever had at Rye Patch.  Quite a few of them have had 10+ nugget days, but they never had a 10+ day with their GPZ-7000?  No they are not finding the 1 or 2 gram nuggets of old, but they are certainly finding $100 and some even more each day.  Heck I'm even getting customers who have yet to take my training going down and finding a few pieces with their GPX-6000 and that was unheard of in times past.
      The GPX-6000 right now is the #1 producer for gold at Rye Patch and all other previous patches.  The GPX-6000 will be doing the same thing this winter is Arizona at all the worked patches and there will be many happy customers.  Will there be GPZ-7000's out there in the field, most certainly, but their numbers will not be up even close to what the 6000's will be.  Can I find gold at RP right now with a GPZ-7000, YES and I have done it for the last 7 yrs.  Each fall I go down and find an ounce of nuggets with a 7.  Each year it has gotten harder and harder and last Fall it actually took a couple extra days, but I hit my 1 ounce mark.  There lies the problem, it has been out for 7 yrs and for 7 years all the old patches have been covered again and again with a GPZ-7000.  From Rye Patch to AZ all the known nugget producing areas have been flogged and if you want to have Success, you better step over to new technology if you want best chance of Success or you can keep swinging the 7 and possibly get lucky for a 1 grammer or 2.
      As a dealer who sells detectors, I feel Success no matter the size of nuggets is best for my customers, especially the new ones just getting involved. 
      BTW, If anyone is interested, I know of a couple used GPZ-7000s at nice prices (less than the cost of a GPX-6000), just email me for details.
      So I ask you again.  Going home with any nuggets possible to show Success or 1 nugget of a gram or don't care as you got to go prospecting and the gold is just a bonus?  There's a twist.
      Looking to hear your answers and I know Australia will be different perspective, which is totally acceptable.

• By TnRebel
      What is a good detector $2000 or less to begin gold prospecting?
    • By Erik Oostra
      There’s a lot of posts on this forum of prospectors complaining that gold is getting harder to find.. It’s not just that their favourite patches have run dry but also that the size of nuggets found is getting smaller.. This has made me wonder if beach hunters are catching up in the amount of gold recovered each year? If their posts are anything to go by, the amount of gold jewellery found on popular beaches is pretty mind boggling..
      I realise that the purity of gold in its natural form is higher but often when it’s made into jewellery it becomes more valuable, especially when a piece of jewellery also has gemstones in it (like diamonds, rubies or sapphires).. So I guess this question is twofold: which of these two groups recovers the most gold by weight? And which group can make the most profit from their finds? 
    • By Erik Oostra
      A recent post offering advice to newbies has inspired me to put in my own two cents worth.. My advice to those wanting to take up metal detecting is: Don’t! You’ll be far better off trying another hobby like banging your head against a brick wall, pulling out your hair in sheer frustration, or crying yourself to sleep at night.. 
      Of course I’m only joking but any newbie has to prepare for the never-ending toil of digging junk, lots of it.. If you can handle this without having a nervous breakdown or flinging your detector out to sea, you’ll be amply rewarded when you finally hear that magic sound telling you there’s buried treasure below your feet.. A hard-won experience like no other! Metal detecting truly is a game where dogged determination and persistence will eventually pay off.. 
      The only problem is that when you finally get to this stage, all you’ll ever think and dream about is metal detecting.. Your marriage will fail and your kids will starve but none of this matters as long as you can get a few more swings in.. In metal detecting there’s no such thing as an unhealthy obsession.. A house filled to the brim with all the latest detectors that you’ll never use is not weird at all.. Just rest assured that there’s many others just like you! 
    • By maxxkatt
      This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Instead buy the Minelab Vanquish 540 for $379 for a packaged deal.
      Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.