Any Suggestions For " Do It Yourself " Vanquish Accessories?

Think a cheaper, simpler, waterproof or at least highly water resistant Equinox 300 based on the Vanquish 340 platform. 

Others have already mentioned the RNB pack option on the batteries which I think is ~$60 or so. 

Check out Sea Ghost on Facebook, You Tube, Instagram, etc. He makes boxes housings for various ML products, including the Vanquish. I think this guy has the right idea of what I would like to see. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Regarding the Lithium-Iron cells: I don't see why they can't be intentionally undercharged, for example limiting the final voltage to 3.2V per cell ( a safe 6.4V for the pack ). This would require a balancing charger, with all 3 connections used, you wouldn't be able to rely on a balancing board and plain series charging.
I've never seen any data about capacity loss / gain of Li cells when using different terminal voltages. It's often stated that battery life ( number of cycles etc) increases if you undercharge them, eg stop at 4.1V instead of 4.2V for regular Li cells, but no details about how much/what benefit etc are quoted.
I see there are 'high voltage' Li cells around now, that have a max charge voltage of 4.3V or 4.4V. They appear to store more energy as a result, the R/C model industry brand them as 'Graphene' Lithium, or Li-HV.

Yeah that's a good point, most BMS/Balancing boards will handle this already, just need to get one with adjustable overcharge voltage threshold, and set it as low as possible. 

Also yeah the "Graphene" and LiHV etc cells, are basically just cells with a chemstry or construction which significantly reduces the internal resistances, allowing higher voltage, and higher capacities (the ways in which this is achieved varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and the marketing terms used are usually just "fluff"). But either way the benefit to them is real, though not sure if they are useful in our case, because we're actually in that middle spot where we need lower voltage per cell, not higher (unless someone is making a 5V-6V nominal lithium cell, but I haven't heard of anything even remotely near that yet)

7 hours ago, Frank M said:

Hello

My suggestion would be a waterproof box (see link Garrett Ace)

And illuminated buttons.

waterproof

This is a cool concept, and a good way to tackle waterproofing. Build an external box (same thing they used to do for cameras for example for underwater use, until the actual waterproof action cams became popular).

Only problem there is 3D printing isn't so good at making actual water tight things (that I would trust in salt-water with expensive electronics inside lol). I've got my printer tuned to do this well enough, but that's not true of most peoples setups, so if I published a design I would be at risk of someone printing it in a non-waterproof way, and blaming me for it 😉

But using a printer to prototype a design which you ultimately make through casting or injection molding would be interesting. (I suspect that's how those others are made via polycarbonate)

Only problem with this approach is added weight, but in trade-off for water proofing, that might be worth it.

Though taking the "redesign the housing entirely" approach to make a lighter housing, we might be able to make one that is only slightly lighter, or even a tiny bit heavier, and is nice and compact, but still retains waterproofing... Not hard to make something that is sealed for the existing PCB/Display. Just needs to be manufactured in a way that is fully waterproof (ie: uses sealed connectors, and covers the display with a membrane, and uses membrane sealed pushbuttons. As well as has appropriate gasketing in the assembly of the chassis itself, and any through-holes (screws) are run outside the gasketed sealed compartment.

If done with an internal lipo cell, it could be made sealed and reasonably compact.

1 hour ago, Frank M said:

Thanks for the hint nickeldNdimed 👍

Yes there is a Case but still experimental and not to buy

but it is a start 🙂 Let's see what happens in the next time.

124933960_124096276151198_8257417506656685690_o.jpg

That's cool, interesting to see someone else working on that already! 

Seems a bit odd how they've mounted the cables though (looks from that image to be coming out the sides of the control box?)

4 hours ago, Frank M said:

I will get an armrest in the next few days

3D printing and first prototype for vanquish

very stable and stainless steel fastening

color selectable (i chose black)

can show pictures if you want ?

Yes please post pictures ... thanks ...