Follow The Drywashers

Lunk

Lunk

One time me and another guy was working this dry creek bed using his drywasher and finding little for our labor. We came across a some what large tailing pile and I said let’s run it .If I ever done anything smart that was it .Being we found more gold what whoever had left behind .

It could have been too damp at the time he ran it but it was just right for us.

Chuck 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Lunk said:

But that's only half of the fun, because searching the virgin ground surrounding these old workings can yield more and larger nuggets, and maybe even an undiscovered nugget patch.

The big thing is that they did some hard work there believing or knowing that gold was in the area. In the desert area that I like, I have found it has been a good aid for finding undetected patches within a mile or so of these dry blower heaps.

• Like 7

Thanks for the useful information for the newbies on here to learn from.

I am hoping to go prospecting this next year and can use all the help I can get.

I try to learn as much as I can from the articles on here, and it really helps when someone gives some good advice to me.

Good luck on your next hunt!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I found a dry blowing site at Inkerman in Victoria but it was heavily infested with galvanised steel heavy wire netting in small half inch bits and gave it up. Should have detected the surrounding area. Downhill was the start of a long gully with hundreds of shallow holes but being close to a main track decided to look for more hidden diggings.

Read a book in the 1980,s written by a detector operator-a Garret Deepseeker I think who included many maps of nugget patches with location of dry blowing dumps in the WA goldfields of Australia. He found many large nuggets in these piles and in total found an amazing 1200 ozs of gold in only a couple of years.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I was blessed to personally know Jim Straight years ago and spent a number of days detecting with him. Fine memories..

• Like 2

Great story Lunk, nice gold. All tailing piles have a story to tell. I think there is great knowledge to be gained by working all types of piles. There are some dry-land dredge piles I detect and the gold in them is small sub-gram gold. The old timers thought that the pay layer was from bedrock, up to 3 feet, but they were wrong. I found out from a mining engineer friend of mine that the pay layer was actually from bedrock up to 5 feet. The old timers through out alot of gold. These piles have two to four distinct appearances about them and they give clues as to the gold content in them or absence of. Alot of trial and error went into finding the first little nugget in these piles. In fact, I have still only found one in these piles, but there are more to be found. It just takes unraveling the clues to paint a picture of what was going on. Thanks for sharing Lunk.

• Like 2