What The Heck Is My Garrett 350 Telling Me?

I have been using a Garrwtr 350 but have come up something I dont understand. I get a signal and a a depth of 6 to 8 in. there times i have dug a hole 10 in deep and the machine is still telling me something is there at 6 to 8 in dead cent in a 10.in hole!  I have re swung and did both pinpoint techniques with the center of the hole still where it is. if there is nothing but air at 6 to 8 in, what is the machine telling me?

Don't get discouraged, weird things do happen even to veteran detectorists. Could be the hole effecting the Ground Balance or a large object quite deep. A good handheld pinpointer really helps on such occasions.

• Like 2

Deep/large iron can cause confusion when trying to make recoveries, can often sound/read like a shallower target only to end up being a lot deeper down.  Deep iron can also cause the the original pinpoint location to move after making an excavation, another tell-tale indication. 

If unsure, one of the best tools at your disposal is to use your pinpoint mode to get a rough estimate of the size of the target before digging, if you get a foot wide response it ain't going to be a coin, possibly large iron at depth - a coin will have a lot smaller footprint when pinpointing with the detector.  You can also get high tone falsing on deep iron, sounding more like a good non-ferrous target - wildly inconsistent target id's will usually point towards iron vs non-ferrous (if your detector has target ID's).

Deep targets beyond effective range of the detector can have it guessing on the true dig depth, so I wouldn't totally rely on what the detector display is telling you.   

Bottom line is that there is no substitute for experience when deciphering what a buried target is likely to be, if unsure just dig the target and after time you will have a greater understanding of what those tell-tale indications are telling you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Goldpick nailed it!  The depth gauge is only really useful for coin size objects, the bigger the target gets the less you rely on that depth gauge and the smaller the target is will also throw it out, a small ring at 2" may show as 8".  Pinpoint is your friend for sizing objects.  I suspect your target is very big, make a picture of it in your head using pinpoint to map out it's size 🙂

great advice. I suppose trusting the machine is good but not a substitute for experience and judgement t

• Like 2