Detecting Silver Coins In Anchorage, Alaska

holy cow, where do find that kind of info. awesome

On 12/19/2015 at 10:21 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

All I know is it and it's kin are some of the deadliest silver turf hunting machines ever designed as evidenced by the success of the BBS and FBS detectors worldwide, and no slouch on the beaches either.

Steve,

The CTX-3030, like the other FBS series of models, does have some strengths for many avid users, and those who learn it and understand it, both the strengths and weaknesses, will be able to get the best out of it ... as long as the functions and performance are a good fit for the types of hunting they do, and the environment they are hunting in.

I have several friends who are very avid, loyal users of Minelab FBS models, and I have owned five or six myself.  A few of them own nothing but an Explorer II, SE Pro, E-Trac or CTX-3030, but those are the friends who ONLY hunt in older parks and grassy sites in large, urban environments.

They don't get out to the old railroad ghost towns and similar iron infested sites where I like to go, and their primary target for accomplishment is finding US silver coins.   A few of them have tried hunting my favorite sites only to discover their choice of weapon left them at a serious disadvantage compared with those of us who used brands and models that excelled in some of the most challenging iron trash environments imaginable.

On the other hand, I do have two friends who do use CTX and Explorer II models for the city-type locations, but they also have one or two different detectors which they learned are excellent detectors to compliment the Minelab models because they do join in some tough-condition old site hunts with me and others.

The main thing I was trying to get across was the importance of knowing HOW a detector works, to LEARN both the pros and cons of the different functions, especially how the Ground Balance circuitry works in either or both the Threshold-based All Metal Mode or a Threshold or Silent Search motion Discriminate mode.

'sjmpainter' started this topic about finding silver coins in Anchorage, Alaska, and was using his Fisher F19.  My comments in this thread were, hopefully, to call attention to the fact that some detectors, especially many of the more modern offerings that rely on a lot of digitally designed circuitry, just might have a 'fixed' or 'controlled' Ground Balance function in the Discriminate mode that could impair the detection depth, or even positive target detection and proper/anticipated audio Tone or visual TID responses.

That's just for a single larger-size, higher-conductive target like a US silver Dollar, but might also apply to a silver or clad Half-Dollar.  Also, if a Coin Hunting hobbyist works a private yard, old farm or ranch, or any location with a potential of encountering a small hidden or lost container, they should know how their detector works for such a scenario, and which model to use or which search mode and settings they need for peak performance.

As I mentioned, I haven't used any of the FBS models on my 'poke sample' with 5 silver Walking Liberty Halves stacked on top of a silver Dollar, but I plan to the next opportunity I get.  Meanwhile, it is wintertime here in Vale, Oregon and detecting opportunities have been put on-hold, which naturally calls for more effort to Research

My planned trip to an old encampment for some Relic Hunting with the FORS CoRe and Gold+ was halted by cold weather and high winds and gusts, and that was followed with snow.   Now dressed in wintery white, I would think Anchorage Alaska just might be looking similar and 'sjmpainter' got a nice help in the post you provided him and readers.

With the oldest date 1949 and the next newre date 1952, it gives some hints for current building dates and more research is needed to find any that had been there prior at or near the current school site.

Thanks for adding the information as I am sure it can be a good help for him .... when huntable weather returns.

Monte

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I know that this post is long dead but still want to report that there is Silver to be found in Anchorage. All these finds have come from July 1st 2018- August 29th 2018 using the Minelab Equinox 800 in Park 1 with no real tweaks except to sensitivity to quiet the Machine. Almost without exception everything has come from 2-3 hunted out parks and school yards. As previously reported nothing particularly old with silver coins from 1936-1951. With a handful of wheat pennies old nickels and other interesting finds. Clad roughly is $45.00. 

Good Luck,

Justin

3D6C7191-51B2-41CD-8E37-F35F647FC33C.jpeg

07C4156A-1EE8-4B22-B08E-D48B2C77595A.jpeg

• Like 8