Civil War Relic Hunt In Virginia

Nice photo spread !

I attended one of those relic shootout hunts a few years ago.  Where hundreds of guys descend on 1000 acres or whatever.  And As for the discussion of the pulse versus the VLF on those type hunts :  I talked to a fellow who was intending to use a pulse machine.  And his & his co-hunter's rationale was exactly as you say : That they get "significantly more depth", and the VLF gets "significantly less depth".   

However, on this particular site, was a few zones where some CW era homesites had been.   Which, as you can imagine, were a giant spread of iron, nails, etc....   Lo & behold, not a single one of the pulse users could hack this area.  They would get driven bonkers by the iron, and "leave for greener grounds".   Yet those of us with standard discriminator machines could wade into this, and pick out conductive targets.  

So there's much more to the discussion of simply "depth", as you can see.

• Like 4

Yes Tom agreed, it's all about using the right tool for the job. A year and a half ago I got into an area just like you described. I always have my Deus in my backpack at these hunts and when I hit this area everyone else was avoiding I pulled out he Deus. Below is the finds I made in a half a day of hunting a very trashy hillside.

Finds2.thumb.jpg.f6e3a740837180a4fbc6716e19b0b856.jpg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, abenson said:

Yes Tom agreed, it's all about using the right tool for the job. A year and a half ago I got into an area just like you described. I always have my Deus in my backpack at these hunts and when I hit this area everyone else was avoiding I pulled out he Deus. Below is the finds I made in a half a day of hunting a very trashy hillside.

Finds2.thumb.jpg.f6e3a740837180a4fbc6716e19b0b856.jpg

Stunning !   That's the type site that dreams are made of !

• Like 1