Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)

Nice coins!!!!  I've been fortunate enough to pop 2 Morgans in my coin shooting days 1921, 1878.....

Is it always windy in Nevada???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oneguy said:

Nice coins!!!!  I've been fortunate enough to pop 2 Morgans in my coin shooting days 1921, 1878.....

5 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Great video Brian.   Your quarter is worth a good deal.  You paid for the trip with that coin alone.  Congratz.   I got utterly spanked on this trek, but had a lot of fun !

It was a tough trip, all the sites we thought were going to be great turned out to be duds, glad this one was good.  There’s still more there, I’d detect it again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oneguy said:

Thanks.  This is my third Morgan, all from the 1800’s.

• Like 2

That Barber quarter is a beauty, conditionwise, and scarce!  Is that your best find of 2020?

The wear on the Morgan dollar shows how popular these coins were in the mining/ranching towns of the West.  Even as late as this was lost (early 1900's?) people weren't trusting local banks.  That would prove prophetic in the early 1930's....

Needless to say those coins would top my lifetime bests list.  Thanks for videoing (particularly under those raw conditions) and showing us your goodies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

.... Even as late as this was lost (early 1900's?) people weren't trusting local banks.  That would prove prophetic in the early 1930's....

I have heard that There were certain states, like Montana, Idaho, and Nevada, where silver dollars (albeit common date morgans and peace dollars, etc...) circulated up till the early 1960s.   Something to do with the reluctance to accept paper dollars.  Or that these were silver mining states, which sought to bolster the silver mining industry.  Or that the slot machines still accepted silver dollars.   Or something like that.

Hence Cal-Cobra's silver dollar is nothing but a 1940s/50s loss, and thus ....   We can all take back the high -5's and atteboys.  Ok ?   😉

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The wear on the Morgan dollar shows how popular these coins were in the mining/ranching towns of the West.  

Actually these coins were not popular at all with the public back in the day. They were bulky and also heavy. The bulk of the silver dollars ended up sitting in bags, many uncirculated, on the bank floors.  Then the meltdown came.  Even after the mass meltdown of many silver dollars came and went there was still a ton of them "out there".  In the numismatic arena....that's why there are so many MS60+ quality silver dollars out there. That fact there are so many silver dollars out there is also a big reason they are such a popular coin to collect.  They are a very cool and affordable coin to collect because there's so many out there and quality ranges that people with a low budget can afford a "slider" and/or common dates to start and move up to higher quality coins in the future.  Bottom line is there are tons of them out there because they were a very unpopular coin.  The Barber coins were the workhorse of a lot of that era....and you'll notice it's a lot harder to find high quality Barbers because they were actually being used and not sitting in the banks in bags....

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)