Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)

15 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great looking coins, and nice hunting on your part.

Good luck on your next hunt!

Thanks!  Covid has limited my detecting this year, as many times I can incorporate a detecting trip along with a business trip and all of our business travel has been canceled until the coast is clear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

That Barber quarter is a beauty, conditionwise, and scarce!  Is that your best find of 2020?

The wear on the Morgan dollar shows how popular these coins were in the mining/ranching towns of the West.  Even as late as this was lost (early 1900's?) people weren't trusting local banks.  That would prove prophetic in the early 1930's....

Needless to say those coins would top my lifetime bests list.  Thanks for videoing (particularly under those raw conditions) and showing us your goodies.

Thanks, and I was concerned that the Barber wouldn't clean up well, but as I slowly pick off the dirt the silver beneath is fine.  I have a bit more picking to do, but I suspect it could grade out as a VF40-45 once completed 👍

No they weren't my best finds this year, I actually had an epic hunt back in February before covid shut everything down:

• Like 2

The odd part was, about Brian's 1914 s quarter, was that our entire trip was fueled by a desire to get seateds, and hopefully a gold coin or whatever.   Like, the sites we hit were predominantly sites that dated back to the mid to late 1800s.   Oh sure, this one particular site had some usage up till the 1930s.  Yet our goal was to get coins from the earlier usage (1880s founding).  

And although his barber quarter was on the later usage of the time-line, it turned out to be the money-coin.   Anyone care to venture a grade ?  I'm guessing an easy $700 ?    Nice going Brian !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oneguy said:

Actually these coins were not popular at all with the public back in the day.

I agree that over the entire country they weren't popular.  The 'Wild West' contained a different breed in the 19th Century and apparently that carried over into the 20th Century.  (See Tom_in_CA's post.)  Want to find gold coins?  Are you better off searching in the Eastern USA or the Western USA?  Back then the population in the East completely dwarfed the West.  Now California is the most populous state and many Western cities like Seattle, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas Fort Worth, Houston, Austin,... are among the largest, and I didn't mention a single California city.

If I want to find old paper money I'll stick to East of the Mississippi.  If I want to maximize my chances of finding gold coins and silver dollars I'm headed West (after the pandemic's over, so you Western USA guys have several more months before you're threatened :biggrin:).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

No they weren't my best finds this year, I actually had an epic hunt back in February before covid shut everything down:

Wow!  I wasn't sure if I'd seen a better haul of yours this year and thus my question.  You guys do great research and your results show that.  Keep it up (as long as you tantalize us with your finds photos 😉).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oneguy said:

Actually these coins were not popular at all with the public back in the day. They were bulky and also heavy. The bulk of the silver dollars ended up sitting in bags, many uncirculated, on the bank floors.  Then the meltdown came.  Even after the mass meltdown of many silver dollars came and went there was still a ton of them "out there".  In the numismatic arena....that's why there are so many MS60+ quality silver dollars out there. That fact there are so many silver dollars out there is also a big reason they are such a popular coin to collect.  They are a very cool and affordable coin to collect because there's so many out there and quality ranges that people with a low budget can afford a "slider" and/or common dates to start and move up to higher quality coins in the future.  Bottom line is there are tons of them out there because they were a very unpopular coin.  The Barber coins were the workhorse of a lot of that era....and you'll notice it's a lot harder to find high quality Barbers because they were actually being used and not sitting in the banks in bags....

I agree big silver does weigh a good bit. I can't imagine carrying around $40-50 of silver in my pocket today. I'm completely ok if somebody back in the day swapped those heavy silver dollars out for a few gold coins and then managed to lose, misplace or stash them.  I could do with finding another gold coin or more. When you see that reeded edge 🙂  !  

Back to the original post -  a big congrats to Cal Cobra for taking the time to put together the video.  Glad to see Tom out putting the Deus through the paces in a ghost town. Interested if he's going to keep at it or retreat back to the Explorer 2 or maybe go another route.  The Deus and 800 are my go to machines.  I've used and had success with both in the ghost towns.

Rich - 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Want to find gold coins?  Are you better off searching in the Eastern USA or the Western USA?  

Definitely western US for gold coins and that's partly because the folks headed from east to west didn't care to pack heavy bulky silver dollars but lighter higher value gold coins instead.  I was reffering to silver dollars in my previous post not gold coins....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Definitely western US for gold coins and that's partly because the folks headed from east to west didn't care to pack heavy bulky silver dollars but lighter higher value gold coins instead.  I was reffering to silver dollars in my previous post not gold coins....

oneguy - I'd come out west for silver dollars as well.  Most of the guys I know and hunt with have found one or more silvers dollars.  More than a few have found a gold coin and couple - more than one.    

In speaking to my parents and grandparents prior to their passing - silver dollars were in very common usage here in the UTAH area.  My grandfather owned a bowling alley and ice cream business.  Both very popular.  The till was emptied and frequent trips to the bank made with a big heavy bag containing the silver dollars (and other silver).  My mom was one of those that had to haul it to the bank.

Large transactions of silver dollars would be awkward due to weight, but my parents and their parents all had coin purses or pouches for the silver and other coins.  It is common to find coin purse hardware (the frame for the working / opening end that has the snap) while out hunting the ghost towns and such.  But I've yet to turn up the hardware and the silver / coins from a lost coin purse.

When I was young in the 60's, the little rubberize squeeze coin pouches were popular with the kids for lunch money. But those faded out in 70's and change was eventually just kept in the pocket and bills in the wallet.  Many women still have small purses kept inside their larger purse for coins, bills, earrings, credit cards and such.

Here's hoping there are plenty more silver dollars and gold coins for us to find. 

Rich 

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)