Jump to content

Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wow!  I wasn't sure if I'd seen a better haul of yours this year and thus my question.  You guys do great research and your results show that.  Keep it up (as long as you tantalize us with your finds photos 😉).

Thanks, hopefully once covid is behind us there will be more detecting trips, but it certainly put a crimp on things this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, calabash digger said:

That is a KILLER coin ! Tom is on the right track with that Deus...

We shall see.....by the time he figures it out the Equinox 2 will be out and it'll be game over 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, UtahRich said:

I agree big silver does weigh a good bit. I can't imagine carrying around $40-50 of silver in my pocket today. I'm completely ok if somebody back in the day swapped those heavy silver dollars out for a few gold coins and then managed to lose, misplace or stash them.  I could do with finding another gold coin or more. When you see that reeded edge 🙂  !  

Back to the original post -  a big congrats to Cal Cobra for taking the time to put together the video.  Glad to see Tom out putting the Deus through the paces in a ghost town. Interested if he's going to keep at it or retreat back to the Explorer 2 or maybe go another route.  The Deus and 800 are my go to machines.  I've used and had success with both in the ghost towns.

 

Rich - 

I think when Tom originally had an EQX800 when they first landed he was more enamored with flipping it to make a quick buck, and it didn't receive the proper endorsement from his "go-to" mentor at the time, so he didn't really give it a proper workout.  Sure he did test it a bit, but I suspect that had he stuck with it, with as much time as he gets to detect and spend twiddling around with machines, he'd probably be the premier Equinox expert by now and his results would show that.    He also wants something that one ups his Explorer 2 on all fronts, and although SteveG figured out deep coin turf hunting with success on the Equinox in trashy parks, it's not something that I or most others in his circle really care about so we haven't put the effort in (nor do we want to) to unlock it's ability as a park hunter (who wants to bust their butt all day to dig a silver rosie when you can be digging seateds and gold coins ha ha).    I suspect that since it's been out a few years now and he's hunted with a bunch of Equinox owners and their results have, ah-hem spanked him a time or two, that he may have a renewed respect for the Equinox, although he still went with the XP because that's what his his "go-to" mentor endorses (heck what do us mere mortals know?).

 

Thanks for checking out the video, hopefully when we get back at it, a gold reeded edge will indeed make an appearance in my hole....Tom has enough to tide him over for a while 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wow!  I wasn't sure if I'd seen a better haul of yours this year and thus my question.  You guys do great research and your results show that.  Keep it up (as long as you tantalize us with your finds photos 😉).

That weekend was a hat trick that will be tough to top, especially at that particular site as Tom and I have had plenty of hunts there where we've found zero coins, but they just lit up on this hunt with a rare date $1 gold coin and two good date seated dimes too boot for an easy $5000 in coins from that trip.  I don't sell my finds, but those are the kind of detecting trips we live for (makes it a lot easier to get wifey buy-in on future trips 😂
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Big Silver Detected With Equinox :)
5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

...Although SteveG figured out deep coin turf hunting with success on the Equinox in trashy parks, it's not something that I or most others in his circle really care about so we haven't put the effort in (nor do we want to) to unlock it's ability as a park hunter (who wants to bust their butt all day to dig a silver rosie when you can be digging seateds and gold coins ha ha).

A silver Roosie would make may day on 3/4 of my hunts.

I'm sure you didn't mean that as a slam/put-down, but the reality is that metal detecting is about making the most of the situations/conditions for which you have access.  We in the Eastern USA certainly have time on our side, in the sense that this part of the continent was settled by Europeans earlier (in the case of the Atlantic coast, much earlier) than the West.  But as is the case with native gold detecting, although we have that commodity in the ground as well, we don't have the luxury of federal lands that are still even today in 2020 (despite all the whining from many who remember better days) a big advantage in most kinds of detecting.

Here if you want a chance to find the best you need to get permission.  Some are very good at that (the same people who got dates in high school?) and some aren't.

But as I said in a previous post, you guys are very good at research and given the 50+ years that detectors have been in peoples' hands, that is critical to being able to achieve the best finds.  So good on you (sincerely) and I look forward to sharing your Western USA opportunities in the limited times I'll be able to access those lands with you (after this pandemic hiatus).  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  It is quite inspiring.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found  almost all my silver in pounded  spots so you have to know how to  work  the trash as  best you can. The spots that  Cal  likes to hunt make it so much more exciting   and  I have hunted a few.I like  the spots when  almost any conductive  signal has a chance of being a great   find when compared to parks that produces mostly junk.Almost  all the  Jesuit rings I found  were like a nickel hit without 1 pull tab found in this secluded  field.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

A silver Roosie would make may day on 3/4 of my hunts.

I'm sure you didn't mean that as a slam/put-down, but the reality is that metal detecting is about making the most of the situations/conditions for which you have access.  We in the Eastern USA certainly have time on our side, in the sense that this part of the continent was settled by Europeans earlier (in the case of the Atlantic coast, much earlier) than the West.  But as is the case with native gold detecting, although we have that commodity in the ground as well, we don't have the luxury of federal lands that are still even today in 2020 (despite all the whining from many who remember better days) a big advantage in most kinds of detecting.

Here if you want a chance to find the best you need to get permission.  Some are very good at that (the same people who got dates in high school?) and some aren't.

But as I said in a previous post, you guys are very good at research and given the 50+ years that detectors have been in peoples' hands, that is critical to being able to achieve the best finds.  So good on you (sincerely) and I look forward to sharing your Western USA opportunities in the limited times I'll be able to access those lands with you (after this pandemic hiatus).  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  It is quite inspiring.

Absolutely not meant as a slam or put-down at all.  i started off park hunting, believe me I know the amount of effort and skill (and sometimes just dumb luck) it takes to be successful turf hunting.  Tom's very good at deep silver turf detecting, it's a special kind of skill for sure to be able to slice and dice through a sea of modern junk and drill down to the oldies. 

BUT once I started relic hunting, touching Western history, and finding coins that predated the United States as a country, I was hooked.   I love park demos too, but the hunt mindset is more that of relic hunting, and if there's a demo in an old park In San Francisco, you'd be surprised what turns up, cobs (yes you read that right, cobs have been found), reales, busts, large cents, seateds, gold rush era buckles, some great buttons, tokens, and the usual suspects like barbers, mercs, rosies, and jewelry.  A good demo is a blast to experience, and I've been fortunate to be able to get in on a few epic park demos.   Our history definitely doesn't go back as far as that in the Eastern USA where Tom always tongue-in-cheak jokingly says that every sand box and tot lot are loaded with large cents, but we do have history here, from the early fur-trade and Spanish Mission influence to the gold rush and great railroad expansion, but as California becomes the most populous state in the United States, it's disappearing by the day as it's being turned into a cement jungle.

GL&HH,
Cal

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, calabash digger said:

To me having a Equinox and Deus is a lights out combo already.....How was the Iron content on the site?

TONs of iron, machine gun sea of nails, along with big stuff too, and lots of that flat rusty tin thrown in for good measure 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I found  almost all my silver in pounded  spots so you have to know how to  work  the trash as  best you can. The spots that  Cal  likes to hunt make it so much more exciting   and  I have hunted a few.I like  the spots when  almost any conductive  signal has a chance of being a great   find when compared to parks that produces mostly junk.Almost  all the  Jesuit rings I found  were like a nickel hit without 1 pull tab found in this secluded  field.

Absolutely, these are the kind of places with lots of low and mid conductors, most of which are munitions casings from rim fires to modern, lead from the same eras, bits and bobs, etc., but when you work out a nice high conductor in the midst of the iron, it stops you in your tracks. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...